View Single Post
Old 24th July 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

wedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond reputewedge has a reputation beyond repute

Bottom line here is that you are certain you followed the instructions correctly, and it does sound like you did except for the urge to hammer it a bit early (which we are all likely to be accused of at some point). Once Hammer gets the parts back to you, just do it again, and I recommend not pulling it apart until after it gets 500 miles on it this time (unless it starts demanding that you pull it apart). None of us are aware of any more than a couple of real problems with other Hammer kits so it's likely that the second time around will be perfect unless you are extremely unlucky.

Personally I would pull that carb apart and clean it out good again just for being anal about it. Make sure it can't be lean. What main jet is in it? You said it wanted to fall flat at around what 5500 rpm? I worked on one a while back that did that with a 160 main jet in it, and it took a 170 to cure it. I forget what carb it was, but I think I remember it being a CV40. If somehow the main jet is too small, then it will be crazy lean at anywhere past 3/4 throttle (which could account for the scuffing when you did get on the throttle some). Were there any black specs on the porcelain of the plugs? I would also make sure (again) that the ignition is not advanced.

These are just ideas that come up as I think about the issue. Some ideas may seem so simple as to be disrespectful, but where would I or anyone else know where to draw the line? We just throw stuff out, and hopefully something will be just what you need. It may even be a reminder of something that you know.

I just caught myself doing something stupid a couple of hours ago. I sat down to take a break and was thinking that the gaps I just set were way too tight. Went back and re read the instructions, and it said "bore X .005" I had missed the bore part. Point being that simple screw ups happen.

Whitworth Fork Brace: http://xlforum.net/forums/m...outme&simple=1