Thread: Ironhead How many racers are left ?
View Single Post
Old 26th July 2021
Blind Owl

Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucstoudt View Post
the motor was too big for the AMA 750 cc limit..except for the TT class.it was KR or XR.
There is absolutely no reason why HD could not have de-stroked the engine to build to the class limit.
They could have also forced the AMA to start a 1000cc class. All they had to do was build a race bike for that 1000cc class and then refuse to back the 750 class until it was done.
They could have raced in Europe. They had an Unlimited class there.

I think they just thought by sticking to what had worked in the past they would be OK. Trying to set rules and classes to keep Harley competitive was a mistake. Refusing to accept that the rest of the world didn't matter was an even bigger one.

Lance Weil proved an Ironhead could be competitive in Europe against their best at the time. Why Harley didn't pick up on that is beyond me.