View Single Post
Old 2nd August 2021
Blind Owl

Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

You'd be surprised.
Centerline of the crank on a Sportster is just below the centerline of the bike. All of the 70's Jap 4 cylinders carry the weight much higher than you would think.
The seat height adds to this with most of the 4 cylinder bikes using "plank" type seats.
The width of these 4 cylinder bikes limits how low you can put the engine in a frame.
OK with frag bikes but try and get around a crooner on a CBX 6 cylinder Honda !

It's

here's another interesting fact.

When I went to build my first Sporton it finally dawned on me that the centerline of the engine was not on the centerline of the frame !
ie the engine is heavier on one side of the bike than the other.
Annd the engine is "offset" in the frame from where you would assume the centerline to be.

The good news was that it all made installing the engine in a Norton frame a piece of cake.