View Single Post
Old 3rd September 2021
Biker

IvanIron is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by br0qn View Post
...but a few years ago, while looking for a bike to buy, I found myself constantly looking at photos of 60's sportster photos and appreciating their lines. I ended up getting a '64 triumph (had one in the past) which I rode for only a couple of months before an idiot ran a red light making a left turn and hit me head on snapping the frame and sending me rag dolled in the air. I was fortunate but ended up swearing off motorcycles while living in LA because the people all drive like lunatics.

That was a year and a half ago and I've since been spending a lot of time in San Francisco working and longing again for 2wheels. A google image search for 60's xlch's turned up an ad in Holt, Missouri for this bike and I spent several weeks hoping it would sell out from under me and it didn't so I spent several more weeks shooting the shit with the owner over the phone and yesterday I sent the man his money and the bike will be headed my way soon.

Apparently the bike belonged to the PO's (guy I bought it from) friend and he tried to buy it several times as it sat sad for 30 odd years until finally they agreed on a price. The bike changed hands and the new owner had another friend who had an old set of original paint birch white tins that came off his 1970 (I think) the same year he bought it new. Those were fitted and he had the whole top end done with fresh stock bore new pistons rings valves etc and a new carb though I'm not yet sure which.

Head and tail light need to be wired, front break needs a cable, and the clutch drags he says likely due to sitting for so long and maybe rust. I'll have to get these things sorted and then start breaking in the new top end. Any advice on the above or links to how-to's or books I ought to own would be appreciated.

As I was waiting for the bike to get sold out from under me I was of course set on having it so I found some '68 buck horn bars and an original two-tone seat on craigslist which I picked up and now I'm looking for an original exhaust and debating whether or not the tank deserves decals.

PO sent several videos of him riding it and I'll probably watch those every day until it arrives, can't wait.

Oh man many compliments. This ride is awesome. This white is awesome too. Your story is a story of love :applauso