View Single Post
Old 4th June 2009
Master Mechanic

argentcorvid will become famous soon enoughargentcorvid will become famous soon enoughargentcorvid will become famous soon enoughargentcorvid will become famous soon enoughargentcorvid will become famous soon enoughargentcorvid will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTed View Post
Wow, if you guys are running 16-17k with only about half wear, I should definitely not be needing to replace my pads with 6k on them (if they were actually replaced when they were serviced - need to find that out).

MacAttack, who makes those "anti-squeak" products? If they form a cushion between the piston and the pad, does that mean I will need to do brake dissection to get the stuff in there? I have a service manual, but I've never done brake work before. It worries me a little just because of how important it is to stop!
Don't be afraid to take the caliper off to look at the pads, it's pretty simple. It's the disassembly of the caliper itself that is pretty involved.

for the front, You just take out the mounting pin and bolt and slip the caliper off the disc. for the rear one, remove the pins, and push the caliper towards the wheel to push the piston in to the caliper, and it should slip off as well. the front pads stay in the caliper and the rear ones will stay by the disc, because there is a retaining clip.

you probably will want to lubricate the pins the caliper floats on anyway, so the pads don't end up looking like this. (I am just now having this problem)
Mods:Forcewinder XR, V&H Straightshots (wrapped), Keihin CV40 w/45 Pilot, 170 Main, N65C w/1 shim, SE ignition module, Front turn signals on the forks, Rear signals on license plate bracket, Drag bars w/~4" pullback risers, Xena's Speedometer mounting mod (Thread #3883), Mustang Seat, Removable windshield, Forward controls, Road King Rear shocks
Sponsored Links