Thread: Ironhead rear axle stuck
View Single Post
Old 16th June 2012
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

ChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond reputeChinCactus has a reputation beyond repute

If all else fails. I had this happen on my brothers 2000 xlc. After repeated applications of penetrating oil and the air hammer, we succeeded in mushrooming the axle. I then reached in from behind with a loooong sawzall blade and cut through the spacers and the axle.

Once the wheel was off the bike we could use the air hammer to drift what was left of the axle out. Obviously needed a new axle and spacer, but that was relatively cheap.

Apply never seize to the new axle!

Good luck,

Jim