Thread: Ironhead Special tools
View Single Post
Old 1st January 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Hopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant futureHopper has a brilliant future
Default Rocker box bolts torque wrench in frame adaptor

Torque rocker box bolts to 20 ft/lb. I made a special 3-inch extender to get in under the frame to the middle ones. It is basically a ring spanner (box wrench to you, I think) cut off to 3 inches long and a 3/8 drive socket welded on for the torque wrench to fit into. Torque with this rig to 185 inch pounds on my 10-inch wrench give 240 inch pounds (20 ft lbs) at the bolt.
Pic: Using a 3-inch torque wrench extension to tighten rocker box bolt under the top frame rail.

This is a half-inch wrench cut down and welded to a 3/8 drive socket. I used a 3/4AF socket and cut two notches in it to take the load. I also ground the wrench down a little to fit in around the bolt head. Well, actually, I used an old Triumph cylinder base nut wrench I had already ground down.

Pic: Wrench cut down, socket notched with my 4" angle grinder.

Pic: Torque wrench extender welded and ready to use.

I made the distance 3 inches from centre of the bolt head to centre of the torque wrench drive. This means I needed 185 inch pounds on my 10-inch wrench to get 240 inch pounds (20 ft lbs) at the bolt. Formula and handy calculator are here: http://www.engineersedge.com/manufac...e_wrench_1.htm

Torque rocker box bolts to 20 ft lbs. Use the abovementioned wrench cut down to 3 inches long and welded to a 3/8 drive socket to get in under the frame and torque those rocker bolts to show 185 inch pounds on my 10 inch torque wrench, to give 240 at the bolt. .
Pics: Torquing rear rocker box bolts with torque wrench extender.

Keep the extender straight out in front of the wrench. Don't let it move out of line more than a ratchet click or two, otherwise it can affect the torque reading.