Thread: Ironhead Heel Toe Shifter?
View Single Post
Old 6th September 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Moon Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Wolf has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Wolf has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckspeed View Post
Well...

I've never ridden a bike with forward controls, so that option is pretty much out - besides, the front pipe routing on a Sporty would make for a pretty hot foot, methinks.

The '66 heel/toe is interesting - I'll have to go looking for that. Sadly - I've a late model Ironhead, which means the shifter is DOT compliant (left side).

This leaves me with Mick's suggestion - a fabricated heel/toe. I knew I shouldn't have given that welder away.
The shifters will work on either side. The only question is whether or not you have splines. The Motor company removed the splines in the fifties because the K transmissions kept breaking from hard shifting. The no-spline idea was to have the shift lever slip on the shaft rather than transfer the force to the tranny. I don't know what year they went back to a splined shifter.

When everything is as it was in my childhood

Violent, vivid, and of infinite possiblilty:

That the sun and moon broke over my head.--Richard Eberhart