View Single Post
Old 4th December 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Don Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary7 View Post
Completely removing the baffles sounds like shit, IMO. Way too much bass, headache inducing low frequencies. Plus you take a significant hit in the low-end torque.

So far, the best sounding mod to the stock muffs is to drill a 3/8" or 1/2" hole in the plug in the center of the baffle.
Have to agree with your first statement regarding gutted stock mufflers unless one likes the harsh, metallic sound of wide open exhausts with little sound buffering. To me, they sound a lot like the standard Vance & Hines Straight Shot slip ons, which are very loud and harsh to my ears. Agree that the low and midrange power with this mod suffers as well.

I would add the Gronk Mod to your best sounding list for the stock muffler mods along with the 3/4 inch mod (but only if you like more noise for the last one). I don't believe that you've done the Gronk Mod but I'd bet that you'd like it as well. None of the sound clips do any of these mods justice and Gronk62's own mod was done on International mufflers with far fewer holes, which resulted in a different sound.