View Single Post
Old 6th September 2012
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

tmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to alltmack-1 is a name known to all

I'm across the river in PA. PA is almost as bad. Once in the system, you have a hard time using those title comapnies.

But.... I just got a barn find Harely Aermacchi in June. I found a form on PennDOT's website to submit (with fee of course) to find out who is the listed title owner. I had to approach it as an impounded vehicle and looking for the owner. Well, state sent me a letter with all the info they had. I then googled the name and result shows same street as PA had. I sent a letter asking what they wanted to do. Pickup the bike and pay storage fees or sell me the title for $50 and I pay fees. They Phoned back and they would sell the title.

I'm not sure NJ has same type of form, but they probably do. Of course the storage fee's should be at least what you spend on the bike so far. And the exectuor of the estate can sign over title or get copies of titles...

Also, if the guy was a free spirit, maybe it wasn't even titled in his name. Could have been a friends bike he just rode. Or he never transfered the title which means it wasn't his in the eye's of the state.

And if all this fails, you need a lawyer. A few hundred bucks and so many days of posting notices in local papers.
1986 XLH 1100 (fixer-upper) // Engineers design things, Technicians make them work. --- 30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck .