View Single Post
  #71  
Old 23rd August 2019
Sirrom1's Avatar
Sirrom1 Sirrom1 is offline
XL Forum Bronze Supporting Vendor
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 116
Reputation: 78660
Sirrom1 has much to be proud ofSirrom1 has much to be proud ofSirrom1 has much to be proud ofSirrom1 has much to be proud ofSirrom1 has much to be proud ofSirrom1 has much to be proud ofSirrom1 has much to be proud ofSirrom1 has much to be proud ofSirrom1 has much to be proud ofSirrom1 has much to be proud ofSirrom1 has much to be proud of
Default Final Gearing Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcatt View Post
Basically the same for me. 28T with a 150/70-17 rear tire. The math says 20.7 mph per 1,000 rpm in 5th. 83 mph @ 4,000 rpm in 5th. My tach and GPS agrees.

I like my Sportster but if I want to cruise @ 70+ mph (or 100+ mph) I do it on my BMW. It runs fast effortlessly which the Sportster really doesn't.
For those that like the 4000 rpm buzz, great! But if you don't, there are choices, all you need to do is change a pulley or two.
For the 2004-Up Sportster, the rear 68 can be changed to a 66 (2.9%) and the front 28 changed to a 32 (14.3%) for a combined change of 17.2% the 4000 rpm at 80 mph is reduced to 3312. There are choices of 28, 29, 30, 31, & 32 as well as the rear, 66 directly or 61 with a spacer. The rear tire can also be changed, without modification, from 150 to 160. There are choices available. Just decide on what you want, match it to available methods and away you go! Make your Sportster into whatever you want it to be.
__________________
...I can't be outta gas,
I haven't turned around yet...
Reply With Quote