View Single Post
Old 9th January 2020
Flat Track Racer

Kbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond reputeKbetts has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60Gunner View Post
I noticed my pull was lighter with the magnum clutch cable I use. Its a never lube cable. Lubing it will ruin it beyond repair.
When I went to the E1 with 15% spring I was expecting a harder pull but noticed no difference.
A clutch lever offers mechanical advantage. The distance the end of the lever travels in ratio to the distance the clutch arm travels is one ratio, the distance the clutch arm travels in relationship to the distance the clutch travels is another. The total force of the clutch spring is divided and then divided again.

Where you place your hand on the lever can have a significant effect on the force needed to move the spring.

The only additional forces are friction and stiction of the cable that can be added to the force required to overcome the spring at the handlebar.

I could have that all wrong as I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night in addition to some lingering fumes from bondo glass.

I wasn't aware of a no-lube cable being available but it would be interesting to measure the force of it vs the force required for a well maintained/lubed cable.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I think the force is non-linear. Not sure though. I feels like a compound bow..... getting easier the further it travels. It may just be friction/stiction of the clutch plates . Any measurements might take travel distance into account.

Last edited by Kbetts; 9th January 2020 at 16:06.. Reason: add comment