View Single Post
Old 23rd January 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Don Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinconBeachDude View Post
I bought a 2004 1200c about 6 months ago. I love it...! it's Wicked fast, but there are a few things I'm noticing that don't seem quite right.... the first is that sometimes if I roll the throttle quickly "on" then "off" with the clutch in, coming to a stop, I will sometimes get a sucking sound then a pop... like the motor is gasping to breath then burps... is this what I read to be carb farts? and the other thing is that I'm getting 40 mpg, which I figured was normal for a performance bike like the sportster.... but after reading many posts seems I should be closer to 50..!?

thanks for any suggestions and clarifications
A carb fart occurs when you open up the throttle and it pops through the carb instead of making power. With a 1200, 40 mpg around town is great if you're not getting on it too hard. If you get on it hard, you can expect even less. 50 mpg is what you might expect at a 65 mph cruise on a relatively open highway if your bike is jetted properly.