View Single Post
Old 29th September 2009
Harley Engineer

WhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really niceWhiteKnuckle is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
So here is my story and it's a sad one
My bike has 25 miles on the meter - just got it home from the shop.

I got this new HD grips and the chrome housing kit + chrome switch caps read all the postings about what to do and how to do it. I thought why open everything twice? So I started with the left side and it worked exactly like discribed by others. The glue came off easy and I didn't put glue on the new ones. So far I thought good job. Then I started with the right one. Payed attention to all the things that can get lost. Changing the chrome switch caps was a pain in the , but it worked. Then the worst happend, getting the cables on the grip was not so easy. Somehow the cable got free and I didn't know why it was. Then I realized the whole drama - the cable got lost from the carburator . I looked at my bike and the whole thing had something hopeless. You can't reach that . My first thought was get the fuel tank off to reach it. So I started to loosen the front screw of my brand new bike. Well that didn't help at all. The meter blocked lifting it and gave way for about 1". After 2h I gave up. Chrome housing kit + chrome switch caps and grip not installed and a new bike that can't go nowhere not even to the shop to show them the mess I did. The wife started her "I told you..." but stoped the moment she saw my face - way wrong moment here!
I called the shop. They where really great and told me to detach the air box so I can reach the lower end of the cable. I'm gone all week knowing my bike is at home messed up. I hope I get this attached again.
So changing the grips can include some unexpected things. Be warned!

Man, thanks for posting this! It gave me a good laugh!
I remember those days. We've all been there. Thanks for the walk down memory lane!