View Single Post
Old 18th April 2019
Master Mechanic

sportyone has much to be proud ofsportyone has much to be proud ofsportyone has much to be proud ofsportyone has much to be proud ofsportyone has much to be proud ofsportyone has much to be proud ofsportyone has much to be proud ofsportyone has much to be proud ofsportyone has much to be proud ofsportyone has much to be proud ofsportyone has much to be proud of

I still believe this will not be called a Sportster.

My reasoning goes...Harley merged the Dyna and Softail lines (Dynatail?) and came up with better performing bikes that cost less to produce.
The only model they cut was the Wideglide, which was basically redundant with the Breakout. (Then added the Sportglide mid year)
Now Softails are essentially the same running gear with only minor differences between models.
Just like they have already done for years with the Sportster.
Reminds me of the Nova project where Harley was going to use the same motor with different displacement and number of cylinders to keep production costs down.
I never forget Harley is the only large world wide motorcycle manufacturer that relies basicaly on motorcycle sales for its survival. Everybody else is a part of some company that can help out if they need to bankroll some R and D. Just like AMF gave Harley the bucks to pay for the EVO motor development in the '70s. (And the previously mentioned Nova project)

My instinct tells me these water cooled bikes are replacing the V-Rod and maybe some day the Street.
These have what the V-Rod never had...adaptability.
That's one reason the Sportster has lasted so long. It can be made into any style or type of bike for relatively low cost.

If and when air or air/oil cooling can't pull it's weight in sales or pass the EPA gauntlet...then they may have to cut them loose.
But till then I see Harley adding more choices to pick from...not less.