Thread: tyres specs
View Single Post
Old 14th March 2019
Brass Nut

Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibelungen View Post
according to you why there are W 120 18" on SLow and 100 H 19" on Iron?
i don't see any evident reason, since posture is more aggressive on Irons... but maybe i'm wrong... for this reason i ask...
Well, I haven't said why, other than to state that the Sսperlow has radials. The Iron, like most Spοrtsters, has crossplies.

But let's look first at the Iron's 'aggressive stance'. That is true of the HDI Irons, with R length shocks and slammed forks. But not of the Domestic (US) Irons. They didn't really make a completely different bike for HDI, they just put longer shocks on it. To put radials on they would have to make more changes: to the fork.

They didn't put radials on the Sսperlow without detuning the fork: they decreased the offset to increase the trail and make the steering more stable. I understand that with radial tуres the steering would be too sensitive. They did the same thing on the new Roadster. There's no way that they would put radials on an otherwise unchanged Iron, even the US one, and definitely not the HDI model.

The question really is: why did they put radials on the Sսperlow? I haven't heard that Harley have ever said why, but the common understanding seems to be that it was simply to reduce the ride height a little.

That may be true, but I wonder if there could have been a secondary reason. Were they considering putting radials on all Spοrtsters, and tried them out on one model, which probably wouldn't be ridden very aggressively by most owners (it is a Sսperlow, after all), and to gauge the reaction?

As it happens, they have (so far) only gone on to also put radials on the 1200 Sսperlow, and now the new Roadster.

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)