View Single Post
Old 13th June 2014
Biker

purpony is a splendid one to beholdpurpony is a splendid one to beholdpurpony is a splendid one to beholdpurpony is a splendid one to beholdpurpony is a splendid one to beholdpurpony is a splendid one to beholdpurpony is a splendid one to beholdpurpony is a splendid one to beholdpurpony is a splendid one to beholdpurpony is a splendid one to beholdpurpony is a splendid one to behold
Default rocker box bolt keeps snapping

I installed Buell XB rocker boxes on my Buell X1 a few years back and when i did the rear cylinder rear 1/4-20 grade 8 HD hex bolt snapped/sheered off on me. I have had my rockers off all winter and machined a drill guide and drilled this bolt out, and put a helicoil in the head. So i am installing the rocker boxes last night and torquing the bolts to spec and in the same location, the bolt snaps again!!! Im torquing them to what my service manual calls out - 10-14 ft/lbs. Pulled it all apart and lucky the way the bolt snapped I was able to just spin it out with pliers. Its a 1/4-20 grade 8 HD bolt and it snaps at 10 ft/lbs of tq, what gives?