View Single Post
Old 11th June 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

boomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond reputeboomerguy has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what the big deal is about oil always being in the engine sump. If the oil gets changed regularly, the engine does not get damaged.
My 2 cents' worth: From what I've read in the Factory Service Manual and my personal experience:
The engine sump will always have .8 quart in it.
The total system holds 3.6 quarts.
When you change the oil, you drain what is in the tank which is usually 2.8 quarts or less if it has burned any (assuming you change it when it is hot and before it drains back into the engine sump).
The engine sump keeps .8 quarts.
You add 3.0 quarts and then "burp" the drain line by letting it drain until the air stops coming out of it. This is about a .2 quart loss, leaving about 2.8 quarts in the tank.
Add 2.8 quarts in the tank to the .8 quarts already in the engine sump and you have 3.6 quarts total in the entire system. This is the amount the Blue Bible says is correct.

Granted, you're mixing new oil with old oil but if you're like me and change it more frequently than the recommended 5K mile intervals, you always have good oil in the bike. It's not 100% new oil but it is clean and mostly new oil.

When my 2005 XL883 is at the full line when hot, it will register exactly midway between low and full when cold.

Just use good oil and keep it changed at regular intervals. Change it when it's hot so the solids are suspended in the oil -- and the maximum amount of oil is in the tank to get drained. Use a good oil filter. Change it at the same time you change the oil.

It's your bike, do what you want with it. Don't sweat the small stuff in life.