View Single Post
Old 24th November 2019
Air-Cooled Forever

Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

The Iridium tips were designed to combat the effects that "ethanol gasolines" have on spark plugs. When Platinum plugs were introduced, the Car manufacturers could claim 100k miles on the plugs. When ethanol became widely introduced it shortened the plug life by up to 50%. The introduction of iridium plugs lengthened plug life back up to 100k miles. The goal of the Car manufacturers was to make cars that only need service every 100k miles. (not good for us mechanics)
As far as my bike goes, I try not to use any ethanol mixed gasoline as it seems less forgiving in a motorcycle than in a car. I use the Harley Plugs in my bike and change them every other year. In my '81, I used Autolite after experimenting with different brands. A lot of friends use different brands because, I think, the upgrades you have and the way you ride make a difference in what plug works best.