View Single Post
Old 14th February 2020
Drag Race Champion

wrkdWS6 has a reputation beyond reputewrkdWS6 has a reputation beyond reputewrkdWS6 has a reputation beyond reputewrkdWS6 has a reputation beyond reputewrkdWS6 has a reputation beyond reputewrkdWS6 has a reputation beyond reputewrkdWS6 has a reputation beyond reputewrkdWS6 has a reputation beyond reputewrkdWS6 has a reputation beyond reputewrkdWS6 has a reputation beyond reputewrkdWS6 has a reputation beyond repute

I totally get where you are at, I've been there. This time of the year is a real drag (at least here in the North East) and sometimes it's hard to take that initial first step in getting a project going.

Several years back I tore down the only bike I had at the time to make it a bobber. After lots of money and time spent I just wasn't happy with the result and my tastes just changed not to mention I ran into a couple of issues along the way. In the end I wasn't thrilled about it and I got burned out. The bike then sat for a couple/few of years. It ate away at me and stressed me out. Then one day my best friend went out and bought the same bike which gave me motivation to get it going so I could ride with him.
One fo the best damn things I ever did was getting that bike back on the road and the way I wanted it. Of all the vehicles I own it's my most favorite one to take out.

Many of the posters have made some great points. Nothing like knowing your own bike inside and out, the experience and confidence that it gives you for future repairs/builds and the satisfaction of knowing it was done right.

I farmed out car work 3 times in the past to 3 reputable shops that either specialized in the specific work or in the car this work was performed on. Once for a cam swap, another time for a stall converter swap and a 3rd time for a clutch swap. I had at least one issue with each and some of which I didn't discover until future teardowns where shoddy work became evident. Even when you pay the $$$ and go to a reputable place it doesn't guarantee much. I now do all my own work no matter how big or small.

Just need to find yourself some motivation. Watch some bike videos on YouTube or hang out at the dealer or talk to some of your riding buddies or watch Easy Rider or something. Or maybe find a bike show or a bike cruise/meet up and set that as your goal to have the bike done in time for. Sometimes having something to work towards helps. You can do it, just gotta get over the initial hump which is often the hardest part, good luck.