Thread: Ironhead Ironhead yes or no
View Single Post
Old 15th December 2019
Land Speed Record

jkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant futurejkinkade has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_Ironhead View Post
That looks like an easy ride.
I bought my 03 74cid stock from a lady that bought it almost new from original lady owner. I got it three years ago when I was 69yo , flew up to Cairns where the guy that wrote the old ride story on the Ironhead came from ( or started from ) lady who owned it picked me up at Airport in Cairns , I road the 03 sporty around the block to check it out, went over everything with quick look check everything tight, gave owner the cash & she let me leave it at her place, I stayed in a hotel in Cairns the night, got up early next morning & lady came picked me up took me back to her home to load sporty up ( I had to rope everything down ) then asked where closest gas is & road filled tank up & on my way. had to time my stops for gas as had no idea how far the bike would got on a full tank & lady owner told me she never tried to go past 100mile ( 160km ) I asked her if she ever hit reserve and had to turn petcock up, she said no, she was always worried about running out of gas with no gas gauge. but I knew it should go more miles easy. one part there was a long distance between gas stations ( up before Rocky )
but I was not carrying any gas , just what was in tank. this bike last of rigid motor mount, has the original longer tank that holds a bit more , not the traditional gas tank Ironhead has. I think I was going about 280km per tank average before refilling one sport before Rocky was about 375km not much there , real boring road, but I was riding & don't get bored !! I had to stop at a little place south of Mackay to ask local cop where to buy gas, he told me a smart move as I told him just bought the bike & where I was riding too he had never heard of the town I was living in's name, I told him it was about as sleepy as the town he was in but it had a beach, he laughed came out to wave me off.
by passed Brisbane as they highjack you on there Motorways I was not paying $!! so took some back ways from Sunshine Coast to Towoomba, then down through Tamworth used the Free Hunter expressway north of Sydney & Newcastle Sydney freeway, road through Sydney ( lot of traffic & traffic Lights ) Stopped to see old friend then 379k down south coast of NSW (good riding roads ). not one thing came loose or needed to be tightened, was raining when I left Cairns ( not bad as was start of dry season, I crossed into the four seasons part of Australia as I went down & it was Hot start of ride & cold at the end.
I then road the bike 15,000km to check it out. I had a blister on one hand at the end of ride. but now that bike has been made mine! & I can ride her all day no worries. she still looks stock but goes hard.
but she is not an Ironhead!!
cheers