View Single Post
Old 7th December 2019
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Davo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond reputeDavo_137 has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn’t happy.
When I spun the pulley on the lathe I could see it had a buckle in it. With the outer face hard up against the chuck the hub was out of shape almost 1mm. Funny thing is I couldn’t feel any wobble when I was riding the bike with it on the other day. So I went ahead and machined it anyway, thinking the hassle of sending it back to the USA isn’t worth the drama and I could probably take out a lot of the wobble by squaring up the hub to the outer surface the belt runs on. That’s the problem with buying secondhand parts I guess, you get a bad deal sometimes.

Anyway after machining the pulley it looked pretty good, not perfect but very close to it. You can see in the picture below the soft jaws I made.

Next picture shows how far out it was after the first cut.

The finished product.

And I also took some meat off the outside of the hub. Strangely enough the distance between the inside and outside of the hub was exactly the same all the way around after taking the outside meat off.

If I couldn’t feel a wobble before I definitely won’t feel anything now. I hope haha.