View Single Post
Old 7th March 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Crusty's Travels

EXNAUTI suggested that I start a thread and name it Crusty's Travels. I could include all the details about my traveling, motorcycle modifications and whatever else I put down in writing relating to being a Tramp. It would make it easier for me and for those folks who enjoy following my misadventures. The XL Forum has more designated areas than I can keep up with, and I wasn't sure where the appropriate place to post was.
I needed a title for the next phase of my Tramping about, so I decided to steal the title that EXNAUTI came up with.
I'm not traveling yet, but I will be soon. Here's my latest snippet about it:

Tramp or Townie?

Iím kind of torn. I have an apartment that Iím sharing, and I want to make some improvements to it. Nothing major; a new (to me) used refrigerator thatís a bit bigger than the one thatís here and maybe some new carpeting for the living room and bedrooms. ButÖ those take money, and I donít have money to burn right now (do I ever?). Also, Iím going to be hitting the road soon. Iím making changes to the Roadster to make it a better bike for my needs, and that takes money as well.

Part of me wants to travel, and part of me wants to settle in one place for a while. As much as I love going places on the bike, I also like having a home and sitting still for a while. I keep getting pulled from one side to the other. itís like the old classic Devil on one shoulder and Angel on the other. The trouble is that I canít tell which one is the Angel or which one is the Devil.

When I first got back from Australia, settling down was really prominent in my thoughts. Now, however; itís less than a month later and Iím getting pumped up about where Iím going this summer. In the meantime, I also need to look ahead a bit toward going back to Australia. I donít know how itís all going to happen; but then again, when I first decided I wanted to hit the road, I didnít know how that was going to happen either. However, by keeping my focus on the goal, obstacles were overcome. I guess that if Iím meant to go, a way will present itself.

Then again; itís kind of nice to be sleeping in a bed and cooking my own meals. I enjoy cooking for myself, and canít really do it when Iím on the road. In the past couple of weeks, Iíve had 2Ē thick pork chops baked with Shake & bake, roasted split chicken breast (with bone and skin) with quartered Yukon Gold potatoes and baby peas baked in the dripping from the chicken and I think Iíll make a spaghetti sauce with sweet Italian sausage this week. Iíll save making meatballs until the next sauce.
Iíve been drinking fresh ground Kenya coffee with Half and Half each morning when I first get up after my shower. That beats the hell out of Tasterís Choice instant with concentrated Coffee Mate.

However, waking up in Utah to go pee and seeing so many stars itís almost frightening, or riding up the Going-To-The-Sun Road in Glacier National park are easily worth giving up some comforts for. Do I prefer to drink instant coffee in West Virginia surrounded by Buells? I donít have to answer that. You already know. I love both aspects of what Iím being torn by.

So Iím compromising. I probably wonít do all the things Iíd like to do for the apartment, and I wonít be able to travel as much as Iíd like to this year; but I will be able to do enough of each to keep both the Angel and Devil equally dissatisfied.