View Single Post
Old 16th March 2016
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Crusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond reputeCrusty has a reputation beyond repute

Some Days Are Like That

The day started with a plan. Dondi was going to come over and I was going to load up the rear wheel, new tire and some tools and go over to the storage garage in Fitchburg. One there, I’d pop the bead with the NoMar and remove the tire. Then, I’d mount the Michelin on the wheel. I also brought along the front wheel that had it’s new tire mounted, but it hadn’t had any air put in yet.

We got to the garage and I rearranged things so that the NoMar was up front near the door. That way, I would have maximum light and a little more room for maneuvering. But no matter how I tried, I couldn’t get the bead to break I fought with it for a while, then decided to just take the wheel to a Tire shop and ask them to break the bead for me. I hit two tire shops and neither would do it. They were afraid of a motorcycle wheel. So, I took it over to Central Mass Powersports where the guy behind the Service Desk took the wheel out back and returned two minutes later with the bead on both sides broken. When I asked how much I owed him, he said, “No Charge” and wished me a nice day. So, I went back to the garage, took off the old tire and mounted the new one. Then we went to the closest tire shop and inflated both wheels.

After that, we went to the Gold Bowl Chinese Restaurant, and we had a very tasty lunch. We had to kill a little time until 3:30 when I was supposed to meet Scotty and get a piece of dense foam to make kneeling pads from. I had asked him in an e-mail and he said no problem, so I told him I’d be there by the back door when he got off work. That all happened as planned. I got to talk with Brian and John Husar, who I used to work with for a few minutes, then Scott came out and gave me a 4 ft. square piece of 2-1/2” thick foam. I guess they’ve been busy the past couple of years and they’ve got a ton of it laying around.

So; the old tire got removed, the new tire installed and both wheels were inflated to factory spec, Dondi and I went to the Loonie Noonie, we ate some (too much, actually) pretty good Chinese food and I got the foam to make kneeler pads from. It was a fairly successful day.