View Single Post
Old 26th May 2017
Biker

jdearmitt has a spectacular aura aboutjdearmitt has a spectacular aura aboutjdearmitt has a spectacular aura aboutjdearmitt has a spectacular aura aboutjdearmitt has a spectacular aura aboutjdearmitt has a spectacular aura aboutjdearmitt has a spectacular aura aboutjdearmitt has a spectacular aura aboutjdearmitt has a spectacular aura aboutjdearmitt has a spectacular aura aboutjdearmitt has a spectacular aura about
Default 1982 Ironhead Transmission Removal (W/ Pics)

Okay all,

So tonight I decided to dive in head first in removing my suspected bad transmission in my '82 1000cc. As discussed in my other thread

http://xlforum.net/forums/s....php?t=2022825

everything with my 2nd gear problem is leading me to open this thing up. Since this is my first endeavor into any transmission, I decided I would try and document my steps with pictures. Not only to help myself, but possibly someone who needs to do this next.

So without further ado, here come the pictures:

Primary cover

This is the first thing to tackle.. Remove this to expose the primary chain/drive. Also, here is a picture of the clutch cable assembly inside the primary cover for reference on reassembly.

Clutch Cable Assembly

And now the primary drive.

Primary Drive

This is what you will see after the cover is removed. My next step was to remove the chain sprocket cover, remove the chain master link, and work on the chain sprocket.

Chain Sprocket

*Note: This picture was taken after I folded the lock washer tabs up and removed the nut.

The sprocket nut needs removed (1 1/4" Socket) and the sprocket needs pulled off with a gear puller (at least mine does). Now back to work on the primary drive..

Front Drive Gear Nut

The nut circled in red uses a 1 1/4" socket. My Dewalt 3/8" drive impact just didn't have enough to get this loose so I used a piece of flat stock wedged between the front and rear gears and a breaker bars to loosen it and then used the impact to run it off.

My next step is to remove the clutch assembly.

Clutch Assembly

Now from what I have read, this need compressed with a homemade tool for removal. This is what I have set up so far:

Clutch Removal Rig

Some things I have noticed so far during tear down, someone has previously been in here before. I was told by the PO that the transmission main shaft had been replaced and here are the signs I have seen so far..

New Transmission Bearing Cup Under Chain Sprocket

Transmission Trap Door Safety Wire

I do not believe this is stock from reading through others transmission tear downs??

This is how far I have got tonight so now onto the questions. Where should I place the spacer at to press on the clutch to compress it with my homemade tool? Do I need a spacer between the flat stock and the countersunk hole in the center of the clutch assembly? If so, how much pressure should I expect when tightening this down? I do not want to force and break something..

Thanks in advance for everyone who chimes in! More to come after the holiday weekend