View Single Post
Old 27th November 2018
Brass Nut

Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wednesday 4th September 2019: Parslow's Hillock

I'm planning a ride around the Chilterns to Parslow's Hillock, Bսckinghamshire.

I'm planning to go on this ride on Wednesday 4th September.

Parslow's Hillock is a hamlet near the village of Lacey Green. Nearby are other hamlets, such as Loosley Row and Wardrobes (really!). Parslow's Hillock is at the top of the escarpment edge of the Chilterns, overlooking Prіnces Rіsborough on the plain below (about 1½ miles to the North West).

I'll be going through Guildford, along the Α322, through Swinley Forest and White Waltham, and along the Α404 to High Wycombe and into the Chiltern Hills.

Here is the central part of the ride, in the Chilterns, at a much larger scale. From High Wycombe (just right of centre on the map) I'll go along the A4010 for a couple of miles before turning off along little lanes, through Walter's Ash, then curving aroung to Parslow's Hillock (the red place marker, at the top of the map):

I'm planning to have lunch at the Pink & Lily pub in Parslow's Hillock. The pub is said to be named after the parents of the first landlord (over 200 years ago). However, it is at the junction of Pink Road and Lily Bottom Lane (there's also a Lily Farm and a Lily Bank Farm), so who knows?.

After lunch I'll go firstly along Wardrobes Lane (!), by Hemley Hill, along a bit of the Upper Icknield Way, to Bledlow Ridge and back to West Wycombe. Then on some very narrow lanes again through Lаne Εnd and Frieth, and down to the Thames at Mill End (bottom centre on the map).

After crossing the Thames at Henley, I'll go along minor roads through Cockpole Green back to White Waltham. Back through Swinley Forest, but then a bit of M3 (about 4 miles) then on the A331 by Farnborough and Aldershot, to Tongham (passing the Hog's Back Brewery ), a bit of the old Hogs Back road, along the Seale Road, through Elstead to Milford, and home.

About 150 miles round trip.

The Pіnk & Lіly:

Bledlow Ridge:

South of Pheasants, towards Rockwell End:

Approaching Mill End:

Chilterns views:

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)