The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Intake and Exhaust > Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Air intake, Carburetor, EFI, Fuel, and Exhaust Problems, advice and/or how tos for Sporster and Buell motorcycle carburators, Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI), Air Intake, Fuel and Exhaust.

Active Threads
0 Ultima Ignition Issues
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 684
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: ~Grind~
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1,823
Views: 264,964
0 Shovster build take2
Last Post: billeuze
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 93
Views: 4,796
0 RSD Front Pulley Cover Install?
Last Post: sml1226
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 30
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: ronccc
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 27,197
Views: 2,823,129
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 20,278
Views: 1,207,024
0 This place still sucks!!!
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 50 Minutes Ago
Replies: 44
Views: 633
0 Rear shocks ?
Last Post: Brad
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 354
0 Can't clear unread messages
Last Post: Brad
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 391
0 Cali Carb 1989 883
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 41
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,290
Views: 1,817,070
0 Can you ID this bike?
Last Post: Bigshankhank
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 583
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 49,862
Views: 8,146,023
0 Sportsters No More?
Last Post: Ludwig von Buzzthoven
Replies: 6
Views: 252
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 7,541
Views: 1,161,948
0 0Salt Flat Sporton
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 1,181
0 RIDE REPORT During Covid, 13 States & Some Spectacular Riding
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 67
Views: 6,723
0 Cant find (2001 Jugs/Pistons On 2005 Engine?)
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Replies: 4
Views: 214
0 Mimi the Deerslayer: the triple threat
Last Post: thecarfarmer
Replies: 33
Views: 2,002
0 Upside Down Monoshock IH - A Longterm Project
Last Post: paulc
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 275
Views: 52,679
0 Tire Pressure 1979 XLH
Last Post: Scuba10jdl
Replies: 5
Views: 268
0 Rear Sprockets
Last Post: hbkeith
Replies: 3
Views: 104
0 1250 Unhappiness 2020 edition
Last Post: Turbo Sporty 48
Replies: 62
Views: 2,892
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,992
Views: 352,207
0 New Dakota Digital speedo/tach...
Last Post: TheBreeze
Replies: 8
Views: 555
0 Chinese S&S carbs
Last Post: Serious Blac
Replies: 224
Views: 18,445
0 Another Test In REAL Snow, More in-depth than...
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 106
0 Hard to find Neutral
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 223
4 Rear Lighting WIRING help
Last Post: jsaintmartin
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 540
0 DK Customs Air Intake
Last Post: Maxeffort
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 604
More...

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th April 2014
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
greer is a splendid one to beholdgreer is a splendid one to beholdgreer is a splendid one to beholdgreer is a splendid one to beholdgreer is a splendid one to beholdgreer is a splendid one to beholdgreer is a splendid one to beholdgreer is a splendid one to beholdgreer is a splendid one to beholdgreer is a splendid one to beholdgreer is a splendid one to behold

I am so very pleased with my 1200C spark plug boot breather mods. Thank you, 1200C!

Sarah
Old 4th June 2015
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
cheechust is an unknown quantity at this point

I put on a k&n and now I need to remap it,started reving way to high if I put it back to stock will it fix the problem or do I got remap it now no matter what?
Old 26th February 2017
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 with a 48 front end
Sportster/Buell Year: 2008
msandli is a name known to allmsandli is a name known to allmsandli is a name known to allmsandli is a name known to allmsandli is a name known to allmsandli is a name known to allmsandli is a name known to allmsandli is a name known to allmsandli is a name known to allmsandli is a name known to allmsandli is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittlebeast View Post
Here is the math if anyone wants to know

from http://hondaswap.com/forced-inductio...ram-air-41316/

<<< snip >>>

RAM AIR

Operating Conditions
Temperature = Tair = 20C = 293K
Atm. pressure = Pair = 14.7PSIA
Cpair = 1005J/KgK
K = 1.4
The Cpair and K are constants for air.

Case 1 @ 100Kmh (62Mph) = 27.78m/s

Calculating temperature of the ram air

Tramair = ((Vcar^2/2gc)/cp) + Tair
Tramair = (((27.78m/s)^2/2(1kgm/Ns^2)/1005J/kg) + 293K
Tramair = 293.4K

The temperature increased by 0.4K or 0.4C.

Pram = Pair (Tram/Tair)^(k/(k-1))
Pram = 14.7PSIA (293.4K/293K)^(1.4/(1.4-1))
Pram = 14.75PSIA - 14.7PSIA
Pram = 0.05PSIG (gauge pressure)

So as you can see driving 100kmh will only have a gain of 0.05 psi! now lets try for 200kmh.

Case 2 @ 200Kmh (124Mph) = 55.5m/s

Calculating temperature of the ram air

Tramair = ((Vcar^2/2gc)/cp) + Tair
Tramair = (((55.5m/s)^2/2(1kgm/Ns^2)/1005J/kg) + 293K
Tramair = 294.5K

The temperature increased by 1.5K or 1.5C.

Pram = Pair (Tram/Tair)^(k/(k-1))
Pram = 14.7PSIA (294.5K/293K)^(1.4/(1.4-1))
Pram = 14.97PSIA - 14.7PSIA
Pram = 0.27PSIG (gauge pressure)

I know this is an old post, but this analysis is incorrect. His conclusion is basically right, but that's just luck.

In words, Bernoulli's equation is merely a form of conservation of energy:

Pressure + kinetic energy + potential energy = constant.

After making a few assumptions, we can calculate the pressure rise of the air in the air filter housing. Admittedly, some of these assumptions might be dubious, so this will be a "best case scenario." To make the math easy, we'll assume that the air entering the ham can is brought to rest. Therefore, the gauge pressure rise of the air will be:

P = 1/2 * density * velocity^2

Air density = 1.225 kg/m^3
velocity = 30 m/s (~67 mph)

Therefore, P ~ 550 Pa = .0798 psig pressure increase

Remember, this would be a best case scenario: the air flow into the snorkel is very turbulent, is partially blocked by the stock front header, and the air obviously doesn't come to a complete stop inside the ham can. Therefore, the pressure boost from this "ram air" effect is likely much less. Even it were enough to matter, the largest air restriction in most people's intake tract is - you guessed it! - the throttle valve. Any increase in pressure upstream of the valve would be accompanied by a decrease in throttle usage to maintain a certain speed, but the total amount of air going into the engine would basically be the same. However, it would be interesting if someone ever installed a pressure tap on a ham can and took some measurements.

Rant over. I'm months away from earning a Ph D in mechanical engineering, and the linked analysis really bugged me. Ask yourself: do you think the air entering your intake warms up by nearly half a degree centigrade (roughly a full degree Fahrenheit) just because you're driving through it (the author's first step)??? If this were true, it would mean a carb works by changing the temperature of the air flowing through the throat, rather than changing its velocity (and therefore, pressure).

Also, this is not a jab at whittlebeast. He didn't do the calculations, he just linked them. I very much enjoy (and learn a lot from) reading his posts on tuning.
Old 27th February 2017
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Sprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by msandli View Post
I know this is an old post, but this analysis is incorrect. His conclusion is basically right, but that's just luck.

In words, Bernoulli's equation is merely a form of conservation of energy:

Pressure + kinetic energy + potential energy = constant.

After making a few assumptions, we can calculate the pressure rise of the air in the air filter housing. Admittedly, some of these assumptions might be dubious, so this will be a "best case scenario." To make the math easy, we'll assume that the air entering the ham can is brought to rest. Therefore, the gauge pressure rise of the air will be:

P = 1/2 * density * velocity^2

Air density = 1.225 kg/m^3
velocity = 30 m/s (~67 mph)

Therefore, P ~ 550 Pa = .0798 psig pressure increase

Remember, this would be a best case scenario: the air flow into the snorkel is very turbulent, is partially blocked by the stock front header, and the air obviously doesn't come to a complete stop inside the ham can. Therefore, the pressure boost from this "ram air" effect is likely much less. Even it were enough to matter, the largest air restriction in most people's intake tract is - you guessed it! - the throttle valve. Any increase in pressure upstream of the valve would be accompanied by a decrease in throttle usage to maintain a certain speed, but the total amount of air going into the engine would basically be the same. However, it would be interesting if someone ever installed a pressure tap on a ham can and took some measurements.

Rant over. I'm months away from earning a Ph D in mechanical engineering, and the linked analysis really bugged me. Ask yourself: do you think the air entering your intake warms up by nearly half a degree centigrade (roughly a full degree Fahrenheit) just because you're driving through it (the author's first step)??? If this were true, it would mean a carb works by changing the temperature of the air flowing through the throat, rather than changing its velocity (and therefore, pressure).

Also, this is not a jab at whittlebeast. He didn't do the calculations, he just linked them. I very much enjoy (and learn a lot from) reading his posts on tuning.
Connie Kalitta, top fuel dragsters...5/6 psi at topend. 300+mph
Old 27th February 2017
Biker

msandli is a name known to allmsandli is a name known to allmsandli is a name known to allmsandli is a name known to allmsandli is a name known to allmsandli is a name known to allmsandli is a name known to allmsandli is a name known to allmsandli is a name known to allmsandli is a name known to allmsandli is a name known to all

Those intakes don't open into a relatively cavernous air filter housing either. I bet a lot of computer time has been spent on those intakes to maximize every single 0.001 extra psi gain possible, and they definitely are NOT at part throttle. When 0.001 seconds matter, it makes a difference.

Those top fuel dragsters are really impressive pieces of machinery. I know this is off topic, but here are some really impressive pics of a dragster motor:

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...orsepower.aspx

Again, the important thing is that there is not enough of a "ram air" effect on a stock sportster air intake to even worry about, and it really doesn't have any effect unless you're at WOT. It's probably greater than zero, but you'd have to have a pretty expensive gauge to measure it. You may as well buy fancy spark plug wires for better performance.
Old 27th February 2017
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by msandli View Post
You may as well buy fancy spark plug wires for better performance.
True. Some people do actually do that though.

There is nothing at the end of any road better than may be found beside it. Edward Thomas (1878 - 1917)
Old 27th February 2017
Biker

At this point, I'm 99% convinced the best way to increase the performance of any bike is for the rider to buy some lessons at a track. I'm 0.9% convinced that it's to do some true wideband O2 dyno tuning. I'm 0.1% convinced that it's for the rider to lose some weight (just by observing who I generally see riding a Harley). On a mainly street driven vehicle of nearly any make, I'm convinced messing with the intake is the last thing someone should do. Again, the throttle blades are the biggest obstruction in a bike or car on the street (on the opposite end, the exhaust is always "wide open," hence why upgrading it first makes sense).

Anyways, enough off topic. I really like the look of ElectricCityIron's setup (post 193). It's very tempting to do that to mine, as it appears to create the most open stock filter housing possible, while still offering good protection from the rain (I ride as long as the roads aren't icy, a rare thing in Atlanta). I'm curious if this design increases inlet temps appreciably, as the stock intake at appears to deal with that fairly well.
Old 16th June 2019
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Other Motorcycle Model: 101 Scout,68guzzi,250duc
jazzman has much to be proud ofjazzman has much to be proud ofjazzman has much to be proud ofjazzman has much to be proud ofjazzman has much to be proud ofjazzman has much to be proud ofjazzman has much to be proud ofjazzman has much to be proud ofjazzman has much to be proud ofjazzman has much to be proud ofjazzman has much to be proud of

Hi folks,
I'm doing the breather mod 1200C posted on my 2005 883. a few questions;
1) what size long socket for the breather bolts? I put some callipers on it- seems 14mm is correct, but US bike should be 9/16 ? How big is the hole in the back of the bolt?
2) I've read most of this thread. I think I'll just buy a K&N filter with the stock airbox. It seems they flow better, not worried about filtration as l don't ride on dirt much.
My question is, has anyone actually tested the flow of the stock airbox? It has a hole twice the size of the carburettor and several holes in the bottom. Surely any restriction to airflow into the carb comes from the filter not the housing?
Old 16th June 2019
Brass Nut

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200CB
Sportster/Buell Year: 2015
Other Motorcycle Model: CRF250L
Other Motorcycle Year: 2017
Folkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond reputeFolkie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
1) what size long socket for the breather bolts? I put some callipers on it- seems 14mm is correct, but US bike should be 9/16 ? How big is the hole in the back of the bolt?
Yes: 9/16". I prefer a 6 point socket: the flats are so shallow it's easy to damage them with a 12 point.

Not sure exactly how big the hole in the back of the bolt is: 1.5mm? 1/16"? The hole in the front is 5/16".

Here's the stock breather bolt:

It's zinc passivated steel. Not sure what sort of steel. It may actually be zinc passivated cream cheese!
Old 16th June 2019
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: 883
Other Motorcycle Model: 101 Scout,68guzzi,250duc
jazzman has much to be proud ofjazzman has much to be proud ofjazzman has much to be proud ofjazzman has much to be proud ofjazzman has much to be proud ofjazzman has much to be proud ofjazzman has much to be proud ofjazzman has much to be proud ofjazzman has much to be proud ofjazzman has much to be proud ofjazzman has much to be proud of

Thanks for that Folkie!
I wanted to know the hole size as l was worried my new breather tubes may restrict air flow, but no worries there! I'm surprised it is so small.