The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Active Threads
0 too much oil in primary
Last Post: 73HEAD
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 1,306
0 Brad's 1995 883 Hugger
Last Post: Brad
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 879
0 1250 Unhappiness 2020 edition
Last Post: XL Ed
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 71
Views: 3,376
0 1998 883 Clutch Disc
Last Post: gary59
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 2
4 Snow a week ago, now a Tornado Watch
Last Post: fafcpa
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 21
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: fafcpa
Posted On: 24 Minutes Ago
Replies: 20,298
Views: 1,208,188
0 Ultima Ignition Issues
Last Post: ericfreeman
Posted On: 49 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 938
0 Anyone carry a gun while riding ?
Last Post: Skeezix
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 473
Views: 92,130
0 Rear shocks ?
Last Post: mick42
Replies: 23
Views: 552
0 One cylinder working ...
Last Post: Bert fegg
Replies: 10
Views: 161
2 WOW, This cracked? Wtf?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 5
Views: 83
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 49,870
Views: 8,148,421
0 Shady shifter shaft
Last Post: Captain Johnny
Replies: 8
Views: 361
0 Do You Have Crash Bars/ Engine Guards?
Last Post: Azmarlin39a
Replies: 72
Views: 12,403
2 Sloppy Throttle Feel
Last Post: XL_1200C
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 444
0 Lets see your off season builds
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Replies: 1,610
Views: 236,277
0 Cali Carb 1989 883
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 6
Views: 188
0 New from Arizona
Replies: 10
Views: 196
0 Chinese S&S carbs
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 226
Views: 19,277
0 2021 2nd. Annual Midwest M&G
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 96
Views: 7,271
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Replies: 7,542
Views: 1,162,367
0 Sportsters No More?
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 16
Views: 557
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (EFIs)
Last Post: AXL.MODENA
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 78,679
0 Tire Pressure 1979 XLH
Last Post: 1Scooter
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 388
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,291
Views: 1,817,518
0 0Salt Flat Sporton
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 40
Views: 1,388
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 27,209
Views: 2,825,548
0 Hard to find Neutral
Last Post: ryder rick
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 455
0 Can't clear unread messages
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 756
More...
Members Birthdays
GRAYFEATHER (71), vonriken (70), The Crusher (63), madisonlink (60), hillbilly (59), mardyk (56), Blade (54), dmraco (51), jmcclure (44), Ryand36330 (43), nrrs (43), CRB1006 (33), Yoitsjustin1 (21)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
thunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the rough
Default Son of Xena mod

I have to give credit to Xena for the inspiration of this idea...plus she's way cool, too!

I had raised my handlebars 7/16 of an inch on my 1200R due to my putting too much weight on the heel of my hand with the bars in the stock position. I knew I wanted to come up about an inch, but I couldn't find any risers in the 2 1/2 inch area-plus, I wanted to keep my (nice) OEM top clamp. My initial solution was to use two 1/2 inch shaft collars under the stock risers along with the requisite longer grade 8 bolts. This worked out fine. I followed in Gene P's footsteps and added the top triple tree from a 2003 narrow glide in order to take advantage of the rubber damped mounting system for the risers...it helps! (thanks, Gene!). This got me thinking (dangerous!) about how satisfied I was with the bar positioning, etc. I tried new eGrips, as my ProGrips were showing wear. Nice idea (eGrips), but they didn't work for me (two more sets of new grips to the parts bin, no waiting...) Then I tried going up another inch under the risers...too much for me. I rotated the bars back a little bit, which put the grips in a more friendly position for me. I happened to look at the shaft collars under the risers and realized that they were starting to look, well, funky...I know...this is thunderpaw...what the heck does he care about funky-looking stuff? Thinking about cleaning up the area under the risers to go with my now polished triple tree...I thought-why not use Xena's idea of new chrome sockets? My first thought was to use 1/2 inch sockets, as the riser bolts would pass right through. Unfortunately, all I wanted to come up was one inch...none of the 1/2 inch sockets were that short. My Craftsman 3/8 19mm was exactly one inch...but I didn't want to sacrifice it. Checked out Pep Boys and Advanced Auto Parts, but their 3/8 sockets were also too long. Ace Hardware to the rescue (again). Both their 3/4 and 19mm 3/8 sockets were exactly one inch long. Cheap, too. I will spare everyone the obvious brain fart that I had, thinking I'd just slap the sockets in a vise on the ol' drill press and, presto-1/2 inch holes. Think tool steel...
Not having any 1/2 inch cobalt drill bits (note to self...get some...), it was not pretty...I wound up using a die grinder and carbide burr to enlarge the holes-still not easy, but much better than trying to drill tool steel with HSS bits! I also added a 3/4 nut-epoxied in-to each socket to provide more integrity on the bottom side.

Much prettier, IMHO-thank you, Xena!

The old vs the new (forgive the marks on the socket-it was spinning in the vise ):

Next, we have the 3/4 inch nut(really, it's a 1/2 x 13), epoxied in place (and drilled out to 1/2 inch):

3/4 socket with "drilled" out to 1/2 inch hole:

Kim
Old 5th May 2008
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R 90+HP
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 2276cc VW sandrail
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1976
misterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of lightmisterT is a glorious beacon of light

Thats what I did for a trial run then used some aluminumbar stock cut to length and polished. The made an aluminum bracket to mount the indicator lights between the risers and the tank. then I lowerd the spedo and tack mounting them to the underside boly hole in the risers.
04 1200R 90+HP/10.5-1 SE pistons/.536 cams/Heads by MR T/mikuni HSR 42 w/25 pilot, 96 needle, 170 main/TC88A ignition w turbotas mod 33 map pos.4/ Supertrapp 2-1 w 23 disks/ 28T FRONT PULLEY /NRHS Hurricane A/C & adj. pushrods /progressive 440 shocks & fork springs w/10 OZ SE fork oil
Old 5th May 2008
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLRR
Sportster/Buell Year: 91
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80
racerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond repute

that came out really good..... good idea with the nut in the socket......

Ww

Blue Locktite..... I put that sh*t on everything.....

"never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence"

"All The Way"
Old 5th May 2008
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLC1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
DC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really niceDC in PHX is just really nice

I just might steal that idea!

DC
Old 5th May 2008

Sportster/Buell Model: XLRR
Sportster/Buell Year: 91
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80
racerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond repute
Cool you can't steal that......

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC in PHX View Post
I just might steal that idea!

DC
you can't steal that idea...... he just gave it to ya

Ww
Old 5th May 2008

Sportster/Buell Model: 883R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
ColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond reputeColinB has a reputation beyond repute

Great idea, but these might be a bit less effort!
Old 5th May 2008
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
thunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the roughthunderpaw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinB View Post
Great idea, but these might be a bit less effort!
No S&^#! Where were you a week ago, lol!?
I looked high and low and never found anything remotely similar. I did notice that Arlen Ness was offering a 'kit' that included one inch chrome spacers, but it was nearly sixty bucks...no thanks! Even at the current exchange rate, that's a bargain, folks! Don't do what I did-buy 'em!

Kim