The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding Tips & Safety Advice
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Riding Tips & Safety Advice Got a question about your riding technique or safety issues?

Active Threads
0 Tranny oil
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 309
0 Parts
Last Post: XL Ed
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 93
0 Current projects (2 of them anyway)
Last Post: Model H
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 50
Views: 1,863
0 ultima install without VOES
Last Post: supermotolew
Posted On: 36 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 Mikuni Knock Off "REVEALED" !!!
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 47 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 241
0 ....1
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5,592
Views: 324,923
0 Why such heavy oil in Sportster?
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 41
Views: 1,654
0 Oh these college kids
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 1,384
0 How many miles are on your sporty?
Last Post: bordens
Replies: 1,216
Views: 318,420
0 Yearly Allotment of Miles
Replies: 6
Views: 113
0 Headwork
Last Post: Staffords
Views: 15
0 New guy from IL
Last Post: TamiSchall
Replies: 11
Views: 211
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Replies: 10,820
Views: 2,074,754
0 73 XL 1000 Sportster - SOLENOID BYPASS
Last Post: 4th of July
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Views: 26
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 11,055
Views: 1,005,059
0 Poll: If you had to have a stock sporty, what would it be?
Last Post: davesz1r
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 605
Views: 191,911
0 WTB: XR1200 Luggage Rack and Tailbag (OEM)
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 47
0 Snippets
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 174
Views: 15,696
0 Chinese S&S carbs
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 75
Views: 3,786
0 My take on the world ~ Photo by Trace
Last Post: sportytrace
Replies: 1,088
Views: 156,553
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: hammer6315
Replies: 6,997
Views: 993,435
0 Sportster Fork Upgrade
Last Post: PetesPonies
Replies: 82
Views: 16,305
0 1979 Ironhead Starter Washer, Bushing
Last Post: Tipofthelake
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 120
0 Highway cruise speed
Last Post: rich56
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 1,063
0 Be Careful Out There!
Last Post: RDHenley
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 250
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: 1skullster1
Replies: 8,123
Views: 1,717,136
0 The last of a dying breed...
Last Post: Bryan1976
Replies: 13
Views: 614
0 Range With Carby 3.3 Gal Tank
Last Post: smilinbrad
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 90
Views: 46,077
0 Shovster build take2
Last Post: kitabel
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 607
0 Cam needle bearings correct install
Last Post: Nitro57xl
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 199
More...
Members Birthdays
flattracker1 (79), al sena (70), SwissXL (56), greendarren7 (49), martian (45), thadf (44), NOGOOD1%€R (37)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th November 2005
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
GOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enough
Default Do You Know What To Do?

The title of DM's earlier post in this area got me to thinking...

How many of us have ever been confronted by a true emergency requiring us to act on someone's behalf?

More specifically, what if you're out riding and witness an accident or your riding buddy goes down?

Many of us have preconceived ideas of what you do in an emergency. The steps and reactions you should take. I mean it's common sense right? No. There are things we don't think about unless someone points them out. Not to mention the stress of the situation affecting judgment and decision making.

I know we have current/former emergency workers (such as myself) here that can probably toss out some good tips and advice. And I know we have folks with a ton of experience that can also help us learn.

Okay so here's something to start...

There's an accident, your riding buddy goes down hard and you know right away it is bad. What is the first thing you need to do and concern yourself with (not meaning avoiding crashing)?

Most folks are going to say park, and get my ass over there to see how bad they are hurt. And that is exactly what most folks would do and they will generally get away with it.

But the truth is, the VERY first thing you should do is protect the scene. Meaning, take action to prevent you, your buddy, or other motorists from getting further hurt. Now that doesn't mean you run around tossing out flares and orange cones while your buddy is bleeding to death. But it might mean considering the position you put your bike in when you park it. Maybe just pulling off the road isn't enough. Maybe you should be angled out and for sure you need to take the time to hit your flashers.

If you're just passed a blind curve and there is another rider along, maybe you should tell them to go back and park before the curve and signal vehicles to slow down. Everyone's instinct is going to be to rush to the downed rider but that doesn't make it the best course of action.

Think of it this way...One time when I was boy I went fishing with my brother and brother in law on a fast and dangerous river. My brother in law looked me square in the eye before we went on the rocks and said, "Don't be screwing around and take your time. If you fall in, we ain't coming in after you."

I was a little surprised by that and thought he was just trying to make his point. But he explained, "It ain't because we don't like you it's because there's no reason for two of us to be in trouble."

Anyway, just something I was thinking on. Obviously there's a lot of tips and advice that can be shared but this was something that came to mind.

So, anyone else want to chime in?
Old 7th November 2005
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha 125
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
Carina is an unknown quantity at this point

Goodmorning, yes, I totally agree. Just across the fjord here on our neighbouring island there was a bad accident last summer. A small bike carrying two passengers hasd gone off the road in a curve. None of them were badly hurt, but one neede attention and medical care. The one still standing stoped an uncoming car. This was a father and son on a sunday trip. They stoped the car on the curve, the son got out on the passsenger side, as the father was coming out of the car , another car came wissing by at high speed, hit the father and nearly killed the guy who had driven the bike. They finally got help from a bus driver coming from the other direction. The roads were narrow so the bus blocked the road completely, making the rescue difficult for the ambulance crew. A mess of a bad wrong place at the wrong time accident. Nobody thought of securing the site.

workshop link:
[url]http://www.22kvm.net/mc/stolsvik/index.htm[/url]

...the best days of our lives...
Old 7th November 2005

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200R (totalled
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
PlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond reputePlanB has a reputation beyond repute

Very, very good thread, Erik! One that should be quite thought provoking to all our members here! I can only add that if you're not presently current, please consider attending a First Aid/CPR class...I'm hosting a class this Wednesday if anyone is in the Western Oregon area! The basic course is invaluable, and to enhance the basic course I really have found great value in "wilderness survival" first aid training in real life scenarios due to the training in improvising first aid techniques; these courses are offered in community colleges, sporting good stores nationwide, and privately. But first and foremost as GOTWA mentioned, secure the scene for not only your injured parties' safety, but for yours, too! Carina's scene is too often the case where the good samaritan's are injured trying to help! Thanks for starting this, GOTWA!
Old 7th November 2005

Sportster/Buell Model: 11 second 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: '98
Other Motorcycle Model: about a dozen others.....
stevo is a splendid one to beholdstevo is a splendid one to beholdstevo is a splendid one to beholdstevo is a splendid one to beholdstevo is a splendid one to beholdstevo is a splendid one to beholdstevo is a splendid one to beholdstevo is a splendid one to beholdstevo is a splendid one to beholdstevo is a splendid one to beholdstevo is a splendid one to behold

This is something that gets drilled into us in confined sapce and mining training...

Don't create another victim by trying to help without making sure everything is safe first...

The record for people killed in confined space is around 25-30 (don't quote me on that but i think it may have been higher).....and there was only a couple trapped to start with... the others died by going in to "save" the previous victims..

Some people fall apart in a chrisis... some come together.... learn how you react and take steps to learn what to do...

To give an example...when I broke my leg...

I realised it was broken so I dropped the bike and grabbed the foot to steady it.... I sat down and looked around...a car had pulled up behind me, so the road was secure..
I braced my foot against the bars in comfortable position...
Rang the ambulance and told them what had happened... they kept asking who was hurt and I kept saying me....I told them to hurry up as I was going into shock...
Then rang my mate to come and pick the bike up and cancel the appointment I was on my way too and was going to miss.....he thought I was joking to start with..

Unfortunately we don't know how we will react untill the situation arises.... so practice and train BEFORE it happens...
Old 7th November 2005

Sportster/Buell Model: Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GN400
Other Motorcycle Year: 1980
merc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond reputemerc has a reputation beyond repute

Just the fact that brought up the subject shows you are thinking ahead,
I hope that it gets everyone else thing too.
It is important that if you are helping, you do just that and not create more problems.
If you are one that can not contain your composer and stay calm let someone else help the injured while you secure the scene.
Know what help you are capable of and do that.
Old 7th November 2005
Luvs me an artsy chick...

Sportster/Buell Model: 883>1200 XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 97
cantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant futurecantolina has a brilliant future

Completely agreed. Unfortunately, I have been first or second on the scene of several accidents..

My first thought has always been about the condition of the victims, but the immediate SECOND thought has always been traffic control...

Although I am learned in first aid, a quick assessment (as the first on the scene) can tell me if that victim needs IMMEDIATE aid or if there is a greater emergency in the prevention of further problems...

I'm generally the guy going out and slowing/stopping traffic.

Of course, unless there is an immediate danger because of the victim's location (ie: on the road, or in a bad place for some reason, ie: fire), my first instinct is to make sure that no one MOVES the victim....that should be left to the professionals....

"entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

Occam's Razor...

in English: "entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity."
My definition: "The simplest answers are the most likely"

~NRHS machined 1200 conversion, shittin and gettin...

XLF Tuning Stickies

Charging system troubleshooting

Old 7th November 2005
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Alasportster is on a distinguished roadAlasportster is on a distinguished road

Yes, a very good thread - I wish I had time to pen a better answer than I'll do right now, but in 31 years as a firefighter, if I only learned one thing, it was this - "you can't be a rescurer if you allow yourself to become a victim."
Dave '05 XL 1200C; '07 Gold Wing 1800; "07 Royal Enfield Bullett Electra X, with Cozy "Rocket" sidecar "The reason most people don't recognize opportunity when it knocks, is because opportunity is almost always dressed in work clothes."
Old 7th November 2005

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
GOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enoughGOTWA will become famous soon enough

Good stuff folks.

Stevo really hit on a key factor; you don't know how you're going to react until you are faced with it. That gets tossed around so much it almost seems cliche but it is true as the sun rise. Nothing is EVER like it is in the movies! And when confronted with a high stress, traumatic incident people can react EXTREMELY different from their normal character. It isn't a slam if someone freezes up or freaks out or whatever. These are not things we normally encounter.

And just as Steve said, the best thing you can do is prepare. Educate yourself, think about it, and if possible train/practice (ie, 1st Aid, etc.)

Which brings me to something Chuck touched on. And that is victim care. Now I sure ain't going to try and teacha 1st Aid class here and by no means does any one piece of advice fit all scenarios but there are rules of thumb.

Okay, as planb, cantolina, and merc will tell you, in the service it is not called 1st Aid. It's called Self Aid/Buddy Care. And the first word is SELF! Like has been said, do not make yourself a victim in the process of trying to help someone.

So, we've done our best to protect the scene and we're off to check our injured buddy. This is where it can get hazy. As Chuck rightfully mentioned, moving the victim is a risky thing. However, I believe it gets over-emphasised to the point where folks are so concerned about not causing a neck injury, they can fail to realize life threatening emergencies.

The civilian 1st Aid community has come up with a handy acronymn; The ABC's.

- Airway (make sure they can physically get air)
- Breathing (are they breathing)
- Circulation (do they have a pulse - oh and if you don't know how to take a pulse a crude and less effective means is to pinch down on a fingernail in each hand and see how fast it goes from white back to pink)

In the service they teach:

- Check breathing
- Stop bleeding
- Treat for shock (Everyone dies of shock. Everyone. It's only the cause of the shock that is different)

The point being, you might keep from paralyzing them but if they bleed out it won't matter much. That isn't to take away from Chuck's advice by any means. And if at all possible steps should be taken to protect the head/neck as much as possible.

Obviously there is a ton of things to think about. But then that was the point of the thread, to get us thinking.

And I can't agree more with planb's advice to take a 1st Aid class. My 1st Aid training has served me time and time again.
Old 7th November 2005
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 94
Randum77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good thread. You can never know to much in this field. All you can do is hope you don't have to use what you learn.
Old 7th November 2005
Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 94
Other Motorcycle Model: FLSTSB Crossbones
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
wabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to beholdwabiker is a splendid one to behold

...Scene Securty... the First Rule of EMS.
A patch holder and a Proby heading to seattle, down I-5... Patchholder's tire blows... vigorously, bike/rider go down and slide down the interstate a few dozen yards, come to rest near an underpass in the slow lane. Proby, stops/parks his bike in the lane obliquely so headlights shining BACK up the road... Yelling and waves his arms to ensure the cars see him and stop...THEN runs back to check on Patchholder. All turned out well.
.... Proby got his patch the next meet.
True story.