The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Riding Tips & Safety Advice
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Riding Tips & Safety Advice Got a question about your riding technique or safety issues?

Active Threads
0 Current projects (2 of them anyway)
Last Post: Model H
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 50
Views: 1,863
0 Tranny oil
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 15 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 309
0 ultima install without VOES
Last Post: supermotolew
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 Mikuni Knock Off "REVEALED" !!!
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 30 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 241
0 ....1
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5,592
Views: 324,923
0 Why such heavy oil in Sportster?
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 41
Views: 1,654
0 Oh these college kids
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 1,384
0 How many miles are on your sporty?
Last Post: bordens
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,216
Views: 318,420
0 Yearly Allotment of Miles
Replies: 6
Views: 113
0 Headwork
Last Post: Staffords
Views: 15
0 New guy from IL
Last Post: TamiSchall
Replies: 11
Views: 211
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Replies: 10,820
Views: 2,074,754
0 73 XL 1000 Sportster - SOLENOID BYPASS
Last Post: 4th of July
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Views: 26
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 11,055
Views: 1,005,059
0 Poll: If you had to have a stock sporty, what would it be?
Last Post: davesz1r
Replies: 605
Views: 191,911
0 WTB: XR1200 Luggage Rack and Tailbag (OEM)
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 1
Views: 47
0 Snippets
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 174
Views: 15,696
0 Chinese S&S carbs
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Replies: 75
Views: 3,786
0 My take on the world ~ Photo by Trace
Last Post: sportytrace
Replies: 1,088
Views: 156,553
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: hammer6315
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,997
Views: 993,435
0 Sportster Fork Upgrade
Last Post: PetesPonies
Replies: 82
Views: 16,305
0 1979 Ironhead Starter Washer, Bushing
Last Post: Tipofthelake
Replies: 4
Views: 120
0 Highway cruise speed
Last Post: rich56
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 1,063
0 Be Careful Out There!
Last Post: RDHenley
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 250
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: 1skullster1
Replies: 8,123
Views: 1,717,136
0 The last of a dying breed...
Last Post: Bryan1976
Replies: 13
Views: 614
0 Range With Carby 3.3 Gal Tank
Last Post: smilinbrad
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 90
Views: 46,077
0 Parts
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 3
Views: 93
0 Shovster build take2
Last Post: kitabel
Replies: 23
Views: 607
0 Cam needle bearings correct install
Last Post: Nitro57xl
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 199
More...
Members Birthdays
flattracker1 (79), al sena (70), SwissXL (56), greendarren7 (49), martian (45), thadf (44), NOGOOD1%€R (37)
View Poll Results: How many times have you dropped a motorcycle?
0: Never... I have always kept my bikes upright. 402 22.53%
1: Only once... freak accident. 490 27.47%
2: Just a couple times. 415 23.26%
3: Yes, a few. 217 12.16%
4: Yeah, yeah, more than I like to admit. 90 5.04%
5 or MORE: Dammit, yes! Now leave me alone already! 170 9.53%
Voters: 1784. You may not vote on this poll

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st August 2006
Al27

Default Dropped bike

Dropped mine, more like setting it down, while going thru the MSF RiderCoach course. I was practing the U-turn box, and my Sporty wasn't quite warm enough yet. Got in the turn, it sputtered a bit, and I had to set her down.
Old 21st August 2006
Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2005
Deimus is a splendid one to beholdDeimus is a splendid one to beholdDeimus is a splendid one to beholdDeimus is a splendid one to beholdDeimus is a splendid one to beholdDeimus is a splendid one to beholdDeimus is a splendid one to beholdDeimus is a splendid one to beholdDeimus is a splendid one to beholdDeimus is a splendid one to beholdDeimus is a splendid one to behold

I counting mine as "yes, a few" because I'm averaging it out over the 26 years I've been riding.

Only had one really notable drop back when I was 19 or 20. I went down on my Honda doing about 65mph. Felt like I was never going to stop sliding. When I finally stopped, I sat up, looked at my wounds, felt no pain at all, looked back for my bike, then hopped up and ran back to check on it where it had stopped. It also had what seemed like minor damage. Rode it back home by which time my sensation of pain started setting it (I was in a t-shirt and jeans). Off to the ER I went to get cleaned up. I can tell you being scrubbed out with that yellow gritty surgical soap hurt like hell. The bike only suffered about $150 in damage and all my skin grew back in about 6 weeks as I remember.

I try to stay reasonably safe but I do flirt with the edge some. After all, where would our stories come from if we only did the safe things in life.
Old 21st August 2006
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda 600 VLX
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
thornious is an unknown quantity at this point

Twice here. Once doing U trun in a praking lot. It didnt even hit the ground I held it up while a couple of friends ran over and helped me get it back up. The other I was parked at a red light and just fell over with it. LOL that was truly funny. "Always put your feet down" Didnt hurt much of anything, except my ego.
Old 21st August 2006
BT Heathen

Sportster/Buell Model: FLHTPI
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Casper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to beholdCasper is a splendid one to behold

So far, I've been lucky: only two downs, both low speed, and no injuries (only reason there were no injuries the 2nd time is because the sunofabitch sped off before I could go after him).

First time was my own fault - took a right hand turn on a clean road, but didn't see that the corner was covered in loose gravel. A few bent bolts on the 'Wing, and a few choice words from me.

Second time is the one that confused me. A minivan was driving behind me, at a decent distance. We came to a stopsign; I stopped, he stopped at a decent distance behind me. As I began to turn left (I did signal it), he decided he didn't want to wait the extra two seconds, and so he tore off right behind me and clipped my rear tire, spinning me out. Given how pissed I was at him, it's probably best for all involved (for his health and for my freedom) that he sped off before I could track him.
Old 21st August 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
sportsterrific will become famous soon enoughsportsterrific will become famous soon enoughsportsterrific will become famous soon enoughsportsterrific will become famous soon enoughsportsterrific will become famous soon enoughsportsterrific will become famous soon enough

Yes, I have dropped bikes a few times. Almost all were at very low speeds with no damage or injury. Once I was rear-ended by some bonehead and I DIDN'T fall down, but the back of my bike was damaged. Guy gave me cash to repair bike & everything was fine. Another time a woman with a crying baby in her back seat turned left right in front of me. I would either do a half-gainer through her back window right into her crying child or dump the bike- I dumped it & she paid for the minimal damage. Scraped my knees, felt like I had been hit by a sledge hammer. Best one- dumped my Sporty at 60kph when a cell-phone yakking moron slammed on his brakes in front of me when a traffic light turned yellow. Asshole. Locked the front brake. Bike - minimal damage- me torn rotator cuff, shattered humerous. Ouch. But I'm back at it.
Old 21st August 2006
Chief Harley Engineer

Gone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this pointGone is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyrednek
Never on a street bike.
Countless times on a dirt bike.

What he said!!
Old 21st August 2006
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Hugger/Buell XB12
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Electra Glide
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2002
PuddlePirate is just really nicePuddlePirate is just really nicePuddlePirate is just really nicePuddlePirate is just really nicePuddlePirate is just really nicePuddlePirate is just really nicePuddlePirate is just really nicePuddlePirate is just really nicePuddlePirate is just really nicePuddlePirate is just really nicePuddlePirate is just really nice

Never yet, but been darn close a couple of times. I've never dropped a dirtbike either, yet.
Old 21st August 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Dyna Wide Glide
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: Ultra Classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2011
oakies has a spectacular aura aboutoakies has a spectacular aura aboutoakies has a spectacular aura aboutoakies has a spectacular aura aboutoakies has a spectacular aura aboutoakies has a spectacular aura aboutoakies has a spectacular aura aboutoakies has a spectacular aura aboutoakies has a spectacular aura about

3 times a couple years ago.. Twice when i thought the sidestand was down..and it wasnt. and..... once pushing it out of the garage while standing next to it and stepped on a hose nozzle..ankle twisted and down we both went....Plus I dumped my old sporty in 1996 at 55 MPH..But thats a whole different story
Old 21st August 2006
Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: gone
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
Quebeker has a reputation beyond reputeQuebeker has a reputation beyond reputeQuebeker has a reputation beyond reputeQuebeker has a reputation beyond reputeQuebeker has a reputation beyond reputeQuebeker has a reputation beyond reputeQuebeker has a reputation beyond reputeQuebeker has a reputation beyond reputeQuebeker has a reputation beyond reputeQuebeker has a reputation beyond reputeQuebeker has a reputation beyond repute

knock on wood... hasn't happenned...yet
Old 21st August 2006
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 1998
tlgibson97 is an unknown quantity at this point

The one and only accident I ever had on a motorcycle. My cousin and his wife on his deuce and me and my wife on the sporty. We were stopped at a stop sign. made a left turn and my cousin got his rear whell in the sandy loose stuff they put on the roads in Indiana that had been blown towards the ege of the road. He slid his down on its side and his wife bailed off in the grass while he rode it out. As soon as I saw him go down I hit both my brakes. Unfortunately, I was about 6" in the loose stuff too. It took less than an instant for my front wheel to lock and slam us both to the ground.
My cousin got off with a few scratches and the deuce broke the clutch lever. My bike sratched the clutch lever, derby cover, mirror, and rear turn signal. Neither had any paint damage, thank goodness, as both have custom paint. I had some scratches on my tricep and knee and since I happened to be wearing shorts (stupid, I know) I had a third degree burn from my knee to my boot from the pipe. My wife broke her left ankle when the bike pinned it. Im just glad we were only going less than 10mph.

The good news was we crashed in front of the only bar within 20 miles. and the had live music.

I replaced my derby cover. the other battle scars remain but are not noticable unless you are really looking close.