The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > GENERAL AREA > Other Motorcycle Discussion
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Other Motorcycle Discussion Non-Sportster an non-Buell discussion area

Active Threads
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 20,210
Views: 1,202,186
0 0Salt Flat Sporton
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 42 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 286
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 47 Minutes Ago
Replies: 49,839
Views: 8,139,446
0 Upgrade proof, evidence backed, High Flow Air Filter/intake for EFI 883/1200
Last Post: d10221
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 75
Views: 3,884
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: ronccc
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 27,128
Views: 2,814,253
0 Mikuni HSR42 will not idle
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 291
0 Pan American Owners Manual and accessory info
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 320
0 WTB OEM 1977 Sportster handlebars
Last Post: Big Al
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 23
0 Peanut, 3.3 or 4.5 gas tank ?
Last Post: Brad
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 259
Views: 76,326
0 KT - 2021 - You're In It Now
Last Post: Brad
Replies: 4
Views: 686
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Maxeffort
Replies: 5,114
Views: 759,737
0 Want to rejet my 1989 883
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 1
Views: 60
0 Mimi the Deerslayer: the triple threat
Last Post: madnss
Replies: 32
Views: 1,857
2 Sloppy throttle feel
Views: 71
4 Rear Lighting WIRING help
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Views: 76
3 Shaky Dave Recovery
Last Post: BitterOldMan
Replies: 198
Views: 33,203
0 XL IR EFI to those that asked
Last Post: Iron Mike
Replies: 104
Views: 9,961
0 1250 Unhappiness 2020 edition
Last Post: John Harper
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 27
Views: 1,322
0 Windage Tray
Last Post: Blacky
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Views: 32
0 Poll: If you had to have a stock sporty, what would it be?
Last Post: xlerate
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 611
Views: 202,316
0 Corona Virus
Last Post: XL Ed
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,226
Views: 121,502
0 Woke, cancel culture...
Last Post: XL Ed
Replies: 17
Views: 621
0 Rear Shock length '81
Last Post: 83XLX
Replies: 13
Views: 532
0 This ever happen to you?
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 1,014
0 Lets see your off season builds
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,608
Views: 235,510
0 Fork Brace worth the bucks???
Last Post: exexpat93
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 173
Views: 28,301
0 Official XLForum Poll: What kind of bars are you running?
Last Post: XL_1200C
Replies: 667
Views: 168,936
2 Sloppy Throttle Feel
Last Post: XL_1200C
Views: 118
0 83 XLH w/Velorex 562
Last Post: ferretface
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 820
0 The Third Version
Last Post: Blacky
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 859
More...
Members Birthdays
nailhead (79), Rooster (64), chidovampiro (62), daniel (59), evereyken (58), RogueXR9OO (58)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th January 2021
Post no Avatars!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200S
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH-883D
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1988
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDXT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
decman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond reputedecman has a reputation beyond repute

Insurance companies will total a bike even though it's fixable.

I bent the frame on my 2003 XL1200C and they totalled it.
I took the money bought the bike back and fixed it
with $3k left over. It never needed a salvage title either.
Old 18th January 2021
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Superlow
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
xraytoken is a name known to allxraytoken is a name known to allxraytoken is a name known to allxraytoken is a name known to allxraytoken is a name known to allxraytoken is a name known to allxraytoken is a name known to allxraytoken is a name known to allxraytoken is a name known to allxraytoken is a name known to allxraytoken is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewalls View Post
I've always considered NADA values to be inflated and fictitous. It is a book of, by and for the car dealers association.
This right here.
Old 18th January 2021
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Year: N/A
Sportster/Buell Model #2: N/A
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDF Fat Bob
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
mastiffhound is on a distinguished roadmastiffhound is on a distinguished roadmastiffhound is on a distinguished road

The reason for the inflated price is model desirability, that's all.
Blame it on stuntyboiz or Sons of Anarchy but the Lowrider & Street Bob Dynas command a premium these days. Even those with Evo motors.

I noticed this after doing a ton of research when I went looking for a larger bike. You can get a 08-09 Fat Bob with low miles (less than 5-7k typically) for $5-6k around here while the previosly mentioned Dynas the same years start out at $8k even with 30K on the odo.

Example,
my 13 FXDF- 4k on the odo, perfect paint, windshield, sissybar, crashbar, saddlebags, cobra slip-ons- $9k out the door (talked down from $12,999 at the end of riding season)

The 09 FXDL I considered- 11k on the odo, so-so paint, intake & slip ons- $9k out the door was the best I could talk the salesman down to (wanted $11,500)

It's literally just supply & demand. Paying cash helps too. When the salesman asked how much I was going to finance & I said 'none' then pulled out a stack of hundreds, boy did his attitude change.
It kills a salesman to see a guy with cash in hand walk away. That's the trick though, you may actually have to walk away.
Old 19th January 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
canoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud of

Great read Mastiff thank you. I am prepared to walk away if I must. I put down a deposit but if I can't get a good answer as to why it's a "rebuilt" title I'll probably pass. The sales manager's answer was so vague he should've just said flat-out, "I don't know."

I did get him to "a number starting with 4" and I'm glad I remembered to ask if that is the final price. Of course not. There's a $395 dealer-something-something fee he says every Conn. dealer charges. An extra $400 is a pretty big chunk of change to tack on I think.

Obviously the NADA listing I found is wrong. "Average Retail $3035" yeah right. In my experience NADA and Kelley are usually in the ballpark but I don't see any Low Riders listed for less than $5K. Like you said it's all supply and demand. The LR has been one of Harley's best-selling bikes since they first came out with the FXS.
Old 19th January 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC
Steve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond repute

Tell him you have nothing against dealer fees. He can put it on his side of the deal.

I have been told crap like "if the dealer's son buys a vehicle he has to pay the dealer fee"

Fine. Stand firm it's straight profit for them
'01 Cyclone
'13 FXDC 96" stock
Old 19th January 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

canoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud ofcanoli has much to be proud of

Yeah it kind of pisses me off I had to ask. When it's that much I think a sales manager has an obligation to be upfront about it.
Old 19th January 2021
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Year: N/A
Sportster/Buell Model #2: N/A
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDF Fat Bob
mastiffhound is on a distinguished roadmastiffhound is on a distinguished roadmastiffhound is on a distinguished road

Another consideration is the tires, old tires can cause speed/death wobbles. They may need to be replaced right off the bat. You can add another $200 to $400 and that's if you mount and balance them yourself.

Also, I don't care what the dealer or seller says- every car & bike I buy gets a flush, filter, and fill of all fluids along with a tune up. You don't know & can't trust what someone previously did or didn't do. That adds to the price.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to check the oil before you buy it & look for any problems. Wiring harnesses & the fuse box are a good place to take a look at too.

The battery may not be in great shape- every bike I've bought (5 so far), this has been the case. There's at least another $100.

On an old bike such as this one, there's a lot of possible add on costs that most people don't realize until they get it home or go for that 1st ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoli View Post
Great read Mastiff thank you. I am prepared to walk away if I must. I put down a deposit but if I can't get a good answer as to why it's a "rebuilt" title I'll probably pass. The sales manager's answer was so vague he should've just said flat-out, "I don't know."

I did get him to "a number starting with 4" and I'm glad I remembered to ask if that is the final price. Of course not. There's a $395 dealer-something-something fee he says every Conn. dealer charges. An extra $400 is a pretty big chunk of change to tack on I think.

Obviously the NADA listing I found is wrong. "Average Retail $3035" yeah right. In my experience NADA and Kelley are usually in the ballpark but I don't see any Low Riders listed for less than $5K. Like you said it's all supply and demand. The LR has been one of Harley's best-selling bikes since they first came out with the FXS.
Old 19th January 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: FXDC
Steve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond reputeSteve9 has a reputation beyond repute

Take a stand.

All sales talk is straight bs.

Say "I'll pay this, plus tacks. And I'll split the battery disposal fee with you"

NO OTHER FEES-CRAP. phone, pool, pets
Old 19th January 2021
Dazed & Confused

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R9T
Other Motorcycle Year: 2015
Tomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond reputeTomcatt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoli View Post
Sit down with them and write it up. Look carefully at what's there. I went thru this process 2 yrs ago buying mine. It was a matter of looking at what's on paper and seeing what they're adding on. I sat and read and drew lines thru the add-on padding. There was about $600 I crossed out, this was after we'd discussed price. Ya gotta be prepared to tell them to call you if they reconsider and walk.
Old 20th January 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

I'll be giving this bike a long look before I test ride it. Most stuff is pretty easy to check; the one thing that always worries me is the clutch / transmission. Can't tell much from a parking lot spin.

Well what the hell, it's always risky buying used but I don't like the newer Harleys. I'm in the Evo-or-earlier camp and I've been lucky so far. Learned a lot too keeping them on the road.

EDIT: Damn "REBUILT" title...looking online how to register it. Apparently NY must physically examine the bike before they'll register it and covert the title. Exam fee is >$200 and because Covid the exam schedule is all screwed up. Fk! I really like this bike.

Last edited by canoli; 20th January 2021 at 03:00..