The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 XR mutt race bike progress
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 732
0 Top end failure
Last Post: Tipofthelake
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 19
Views: 679
8 Inexplicable miss
Last Post: gwcrim
Posted On: 27 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 173
5 Eye Protection When Riding?
Last Post: boomerguy
Posted On: 28 Minutes Ago
Replies: 279
Views: 69,143
0 Ignition advice
Last Post: Rhode Warrior
Posted On: 34 Minutes Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 92
0 1992 XL ignition explained
Last Post: Bwf347
Posted On: 44 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 548
0 Proven external Fuel pump and regulator
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 46 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 40
0 What brake upgrade options does 1999 Sportster have? This is what I found!
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 1,504
0 41mm V-Twin Narrow-glide conversion for XL
Last Post: keithnh
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 557
0 New guy from IL
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Views: 57
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 20,031
Views: 2,040,409
0 normal shifter shaft wobble
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 287
0 Front Brake Upgrade
Last Post: keithnh
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 29
Views: 7,840
0 Chinese S&S carbs
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 36
Views: 1,444
0 Info needed on mini sumps.
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 39
Views: 1,388
0 Converting 2003 engine to fuel injection setup from 2007&UP model
Last Post: Randy_rots
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 1,806
0 Coil readings
Last Post: Billy1200
Replies: 5
Views: 94
0 Bandanas
Last Post: Padre
Replies: 18
Views: 709
0 Top end reassembly...what goes where!?!?!
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 8
Views: 139
0 3/4” Axle Drum Brake ??
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Replies: 2
Views: 87
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 47,732
Views: 7,642,049
0 UltraCool oil cooler safety concern
Last Post: NGOT8R
Replies: 17
Views: 345
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,558
Views: 323,704
14 I just kind of stumbled in here... like 100 times.
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 225
0 Inherited Ironhead
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 524
0 Run external oil filter? 68 xlch
Last Post: Akdawg
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 1,400
0 Noise and rod play
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 570
0 Hardtail 01 883C conversation.
Last Post: Vic8028
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 1,015
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,594
Views: 212,769
0 "The Blues" thread!
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 952
Views: 93,570
More...
Members Birthdays
warpusher, Terp84Alum, FiremistSLK (74), moony956 (72), E.H-57 (63), bplinson (56), fbroos73 (47), prefect (40), bamf_shadow (38), jakebuganski (38), Arwalkz007 (37), Fraser19 (31)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th September 2019
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 (90")
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 3 3/8" x 5"
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: 900 CH engine in H frame
Other Motorcycle Year: 196?
RKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to behold
Default Need help with S&S GB carb

I really like the GAL carb that is on my 900 CH engine right now, but I'm almost finished with the version 1.0 of my 5" stroker (waiting for an AXMR capasitor, since I can't get a spark from the one that Morris supplies with their adjustable advance unit while kicking it with spark plugs installed), so GAL will go there.

So I bought S&S GB carb for the 900 on ebay recently, received it today. The price was not too bad, even that it was missing a bottom plug, an intermediate jet and a choke assembly, and the float bowl was from either a GAL or GBL, though the needle seat has internal threads for the gas hose. Here are the pics:

Velocity stack and a float bowl extension(?) that came with it:

L-series float bowl with threaded needle seat:

OK, now the questions:

This screw is supposed to have 8-32 thread size. This particular screw is more like # 10 or # 12 - it fitted the top hole where the intermediate jet is supposed to be, but it's too small for the hole where it belongs. What's its purpose - just a plug? If yes, then it's no big deal.

Here's my collection of GAL intermediate jets. 2 jets that came with the others (on the bottom of the pic) are not GAL jets, they are shorter and have different threads and caps.

I was hoping they would fit the GB carb, but they are too long.

The main jet is #80.

Is there a source for the jets? What are the correct jet sizes for the stock 900 engine?

Also, the bottom plug - does it just serves a plug function or is it also a part of the fuel circuit and can not be substituted with a threaded plug (GAL instruction does say so, but GAL is different).

Here's S&S catalog page:

Any info would be appreciated. I did find few posts by Dr Dick on early carbs history, but can't find anything beyond that. Also, if someone has a choke block, bottom plug and correct jets for sale - pleas PM me.
Old 16th September 2019
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1966 XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW Twin
Other Motorcycle Year: 82
Monte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud of

That GB looks like what it was intended for 'Racing', Yes the Main Jet is under that base body Nut, it is Shoulderless while the GBL and GAL have the top hat shape, not interchangeable with your GB, also the GB, GA float bowl has a different bolt pattern than the later GBL, looks like they took care of this with the bowl spacer adapter, I just went thru all of this and you may hit the Lottery before finding an Array of GA, GB jets, my 2 cent opinion? If for the street find a later GBL carb that incorporates the choke and main jets readily available ( edit - what media are you using to post your pictures? thanks )

Last edited by Monte03; 16th September 2019 at 22:29.. Reason: question
Old 16th September 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 68XLCH59XLCH98FLHTC99FLST
Sportster/Buell Year: 59XL
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 68XLCH
Other Motorcycle Model: 98FLHTC
Other Motorcycle Year: 99FL
nibroc is a jewel in the roughnibroc is a jewel in the roughnibroc is a jewel in the roughnibroc is a jewel in the roughnibroc is a jewel in the roughnibroc is a jewel in the roughnibroc is a jewel in the roughnibroc is a jewel in the roughnibroc is a jewel in the roughnibroc is a jewel in the roughnibroc is a jewel in the rough

in MMHO the GAL is too big of a carb for the stock 900---I have a GAL on my 59 XLCH but it is almost 80 cubic inches
Old 17th September 2019
Greasemonkey

Nitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really nice

The GB is the smaller version of the original G carb. 1 3/4" venturi compared to 1 7/8"of the G carb. The missing screw on the side is the air bleed for the low speed circuit, usually a .059 hole. Later carbs had a small ball bearing trapped on the inside of the screw to keep it from spitting gas when it was Idling . The intermediate jet was a setscrew with a hole drilled in it and a brass tube soldered on. The brass tube was pinched in a die and a metered hole drilled for the jet. After the jet was installed a plug blocked the hole on the top. The needle seat is from something else, never made by S&S? A hose barb was original. Your going to have to make your own parts, S&S isn't interested in making anything for these anymore? These are a good carb when tuned right. A .029 intermediate jet and .080 mainjet will get you in the ballpark. Some people drilled and tapped the main air bleed on the back of the carb and used Holley main jets to fine tune the air bleed.
Old 17th September 2019
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
needspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond reputeneedspeed has a reputation beyond repute

Hi RKN, I agree with Monte that you'll have an easier time with a later carb due to the fact that parts are hard to find. But if you like a challenge you've got one with this carb.

I've never seen a GB but have seen a few of the larger 1/78 Gs. The casting between the two appears to be the same so the difference is in the machined bore size. So as to the screw size you ask about. The diagram you have can't be right. It can't be a 8-32 screw and at 7/8 would be too long. I have seen one carb with that hole with a 1/4-20 thd and that screw in place with a small hole through the center that served as the intermediate air bleed. As Nitro57xl mentioned the intake air pulsing in and out at idle would make gas spurt out the hole so an air bleed with a check ball was available. That check ball valve had a 5/16-24 thread.

I know of no source for jets but they are easy to make. Thread a 3/8 brass rod with a 3/8-24 die. Cut to the right length, cut screw driver slot and drill a hole through the center. The plug is just that, a plug. A 3/8-24 bolt with a sealing washer will work. Just not so long that it blocks the cross drilled hole coming from the float bowl.

Seems like your first task is to find a way to add a choke. Without an accelerator pump you'll need one.

I wonder if a choke assembly from a Linkert DC could be fitted.
Late model air cleaner back plates don't fit this carb.
Old 17th September 2019
Greasemonkey

Nitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really nice

I agree with need speed on everything. As far as a choke I know of one guy who rode one on the street for years with a homemade air cleaner and he carried a toothpick that he stuck down the floatbowl vent to depress the float and flood the carb like an amal carb on a British bike. The air cleaner bolt pattern is unique to the G carb. A dc carb choke won't fit these carbs, just about everything is wrong. Something looks modified in the picture of the front side of the carb around the intermediate air bleed hole? I still have one of these carbs I bought new 50 years ago. Damn I'm getting old?
Old 17th September 2019

Monte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud ofMonte03 has much to be proud of

On Ebay a Seller with the handle ( ABCgang ) Rich, Restores many old Side Bowl Carbs, Do a Search, he may have the Choke adapter
Old 17th September 2019

RKN search Ebay #283290668433 it shows a Carb with Choke Adaptor
Old 17th September 2019
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH IR EFI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1200RS
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Iron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond repute

For what its worth, Im not aware of market prices on these.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/m...974230553.html
Old 17th September 2019
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 (90")
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 3 3/8" x 5"
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: 900 CH engine in H frame
Other Motorcycle Year: 196?
RKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to behold

Nitro57xl, needspeed, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your priceless info! Yes, I like challenges and I'm on a budjet, but I do like the vintage performance parts.

I will try to make an intermediate jet. Should the tube be drilled on the bottom also, besides on top? Shoud the bottom end of the tube be plugged? Or maybe there're pics of those jets somewhere?

Monte03, yes, I also found that link and will probably make a drawing for a machinist to make my own. I'm using radikal.ru photo host.

Iron Mick, that's IMO a good price for a GBL that looks to be complete. I paid $150 for the GB, don't think that machining a choke adaptor and making an intermediate jet would cost me over $100 here in Russia. We still have enthusiasts with non-CNC lathes and mills that like what they are doing and are not about money.