The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Chinese S&S carbs
Last Post: 11B40
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 37
Views: 1,446
0 XR mutt race bike progress
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 749
0 Top end failure
Last Post: Tipofthelake
Replies: 19
Views: 694
8 Inexplicable miss
Last Post: gwcrim
Replies: 14
Views: 187
5 Eye Protection When Riding?
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 279
Views: 69,149
0 Ignition advice
Last Post: Rhode Warrior
Replies: 23
Views: 140
0 1992 XL ignition explained
Last Post: Bwf347
Replies: 11
Views: 551
0 Proven external Fuel pump and regulator
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 7
Views: 46
0 What brake upgrade options does 1999 Sportster have? This is what I found!
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 1,506
0 41mm V-Twin Narrow-glide conversion for XL
Last Post: keithnh
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 559
0 New guy from IL
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 59
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 20,031
Views: 2,040,471
0 normal shifter shaft wobble
Last Post: wedge
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Views: 287
0 Front Brake Upgrade
Last Post: keithnh
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 29
Views: 7,864
0 Info needed on mini sumps.
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 39
Views: 1,409
0 Converting 2003 engine to fuel injection setup from 2007&UP model
Last Post: Randy_rots
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 1,807
0 Coil readings
Last Post: Billy1200
Replies: 5
Views: 100
0 Bandanas
Last Post: Padre
Replies: 18
Views: 713
0 Top end reassembly...what goes where!?!?!
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 8
Views: 141
0 3/4” Axle Drum Brake ??
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Replies: 2
Views: 88
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 47,732
Views: 7,642,095
0 UltraCool oil cooler safety concern
Last Post: NGOT8R
Replies: 17
Views: 347
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,558
Views: 323,708
14 I just kind of stumbled in here... like 100 times.
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 229
0 Inherited Ironhead
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 524
0 Run external oil filter? 68 xlch
Last Post: Akdawg
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 1,402
0 Noise and rod play
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 574
0 Hardtail 01 883C conversation.
Last Post: Vic8028
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 1,015
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,594
Views: 212,771
0 "The Blues" thread!
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 952
Views: 93,585
More...
Members Birthdays
warpusher, Terp84Alum, FiremistSLK (74), moony956 (72), E.H-57 (63), bplinson (56), fbroos73 (47), prefect (40), bamf_shadow (38), jakebuganski (38), Arwalkz007 (37), Fraser19 (31)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd May 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1969
Other Motorcycle Model: Triumph Sprint 900
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
Captain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to behold
Default S&S MGAL carb

Gonna run this on the 66 XLH 900.

Does anyone know what the float height should be? Is it measured from the scribe line on the gasket surface to the float when the bowl is upside down?

Also, having trouble finding info on that long tube looking intermediate jet that screws in from the top of the carb. Don't know which one to install, can't find a selection of different sizes to try. The one in this carb has a "4" stamped on the top.

Can anybody shed any light on this?
Old 23rd May 2020
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 (90")
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 3 3/8" x 5"
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: 900 CH engine in H frame
Other Motorcycle Year: 196?
RKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to beholdRKN is a splendid one to behold

GAL instructioms https://web.archive.org/web/20110106...ns/51-1008.pdf
Old 23rd May 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Captain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to beholdCaptain Johnny is a splendid one to behold

Thanks RKN. Put everything together and a couple kicks later she runs. Now comes the fine tuning. Cool looking carb coupled with a magneto, good stuff.
Old 24th May 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of11B40 has much to be proud of

The GAL is just a big Linkert DC. I bought one brand new in 76 or 77 added the manifold and put it on my 66 magneto Sportster. The bike had head work with XLR valves and PB cams. I took off a good running Tillotson. I took it out and started it and rode off. It had an awful flat spot whenever it came off idle. Believe it or not, I called George Smith owner of S&S that same afternoon. told him what was happening. He asked me to give him the number off of the carburetor. He put the phone down (he was at his house) was gone for a few minutes, he came back on and told me that on that carb, they had drilled an air bleed hole a little bit too far back. He then told me to take out the butterfly and file a small bit off the top front of the butterfly at an angle (in essence opening up the air bleed sooner). I thought sure....... thanked him and did what he described. That thing ran perfect, unbelievable....smoother than the Tillotson, way smoother....We did some testing at Fremont drag strip with these carbs. Ran with the Tillotson, took off that and put on the big GAL and it went 10 MPH faster. Even the gas mileage improved, a lot. I used it when I went to 77" and it ran wonderfully, started better too. The long tube on top is the emulsion tube I never changed it, ever. I would use mainjets (35 years ago???) 70 or 72 for the 55" motor and maybe a 74-76 for the big 77". At the drags with straight pipes I would go up one size. That is the only thing I ever did. I would advise to not screw around with it much. It is the best carb ever made as far as we were concerned. Used them at Bonneville on 77" and on Roberts Turbo shovel when it first started. The only problem I can recall was a float broke on record runs and even though we were not supposed to, I ran back and took a spare and changed it for the return run. The Guys running the show wandered off when we did it so they wouldn't see what we did . They knew us and how hard we had worked for that first 176 MPH record. These GALs were about $125 new and are worth $500 now, you are a smart lucky guy to have found one.
Old 24th May 2020
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

That's a great story! Thanks for telling that. I'm running an S&S Super B on my 69 CH that runs like you describe above. Starts easily, runs really smooth and gets good MPG.

Looking forward to getting this MGAL running like that.
Old 25th May 2020
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: KHK
Sportster/Buell Year: 1954
Sportster/Buell Model #2: IronHead XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: XLRTT
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
thefrenchowl has a brilliant futurethefrenchowl has a brilliant futurethefrenchowl has a brilliant futurethefrenchowl has a brilliant futurethefrenchowl has a brilliant futurethefrenchowl has a brilliant futurethefrenchowl has a brilliant futurethefrenchowl has a brilliant futurethefrenchowl has a brilliant futurethefrenchowl has a brilliant futurethefrenchowl has a brilliant future

Hi lads...

Thought I'll show you mine...

Touch moded…

Mine's # 736, not far from yours...

Patrick
Old 25th May 2020
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond repute

can you give us the tour?looks real interesting.off the KHK?
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 25th May 2020
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: KHK
Sportster/Buell Year: 1954
Sportster/Buell Model #2: IronHead XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1978
Other Motorcycle Model: XLRTT
thefrenchowl has a brilliant futurethefrenchowl has a brilliant futurethefrenchowl has a brilliant futurethefrenchowl has a brilliant futurethefrenchowl has a brilliant futurethefrenchowl has a brilliant futurethefrenchowl has a brilliant futurethefrenchowl has a brilliant futurethefrenchowl has a brilliant futurethefrenchowl has a brilliant futurethefrenchowl has a brilliant future

Hi, Brucstoudt…

Yes, off the KHK... Main jet!!!

4.4mm, that's 175 thou... There also a Mikuni adjustable main jet next to it for finer tuning!!!

Drinks between 3/4 to one liter of methanol per mile... Thursty!!!

I'm just about to start another build around that engine, maybe Bonneville again next year if travel can be resumed...

That'll be a treat for my 70th birthday...

Patrick
Old 25th May 2020
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond repute

glad to hear you still have that.supercharger and all.
Old 26th May 2020
Blind Owl

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

I have an MGAl and a GBL for my 58 CH but haven't decided on which to use.

I am a procrastinator.

Partly because I haven't fully decide to run it on Methanol.