The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 mode of failure
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 192
0 Replacement Fuel line?
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 549
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 45 Minutes Ago
Replies: 457
Views: 20,778
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 41,540
Views: 6,386,401
0 Electrical Problem with '77 XLH-no power
Last Post: 60weight
Replies: 51
Views: 1,665
0 Range With EFI 3.3 Gal Tank
Last Post: xElvis
Replies: 94
Views: 48,709
0 Sheared Pinion Shaft Key
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 11
Views: 256
0 Gravydog crashed again.
Last Post: wedge
Replies: 35
Views: 776
0 Out of the Box Thinking
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Replies: 13
Views: 760
0 2020 H-D response to the Indian FTR1200?
Last Post: Bwf347
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 98
Views: 5,458
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Replies: 8,051
Views: 619,397
0 fat man on a sportster
Last Post: Four Speed
Replies: 8
Views: 1,293
0 ....1
Last Post: hammer6315
Replies: 4,630
Views: 220,436
4 Looking for the NUP1009 bearing for clutch wobble
Replies: 6
Views: 175
0 ***DK Custom Products Floorboards~Sportste r~Dyna~Softail***
Last Post: cotton1
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 127
0 New Tires>Fallaway>Deale r>?
Last Post: ed_in_az
Replies: 31
Views: 1,385
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: cotton1
Replies: 10,286
Views: 691,588
0 Cylinders and static compression checked. Advise?
Last Post: jordan1200
Replies: 3
Views: 94
0 Big bore stroker - the beginning of a 10-year long build
Last Post: RKN
Replies: 786
Views: 69,746
0 Saddlemen step up seat on 07-09
Last Post: SLW210
Replies: 5
Views: 200
0 ***DK Custom - Outlaw HiFlow 587 Air Cleaner Systems for M8***
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 17
0 UK members! Where are you?
Last Post: DavieM
Replies: 149
Views: 23,980
0 Help With Oil Flow
Last Post: IronheadPhil
Replies: 22
Views: 1,251
0 1998 1200S hooking up tether kill
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 132
0 Hello from 1970s Wisconsin!
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 105
0 How many miles do you have on your rubbermount?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 386
Views: 72,041
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,670
Views: 228,131
0 Moto Guzzi V9 Bobber debut
Last Post: Bone
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 27
Views: 1,039
0 Best Tires to get 2017
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 121
Views: 18,229
0 This is gonna hurt.
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,501
Views: 1,379,854
More...
Members Birthdays
ziggyhd1 (60), greven (58), bliynd (33)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

The Piston looks like oil starvation, too slow of an idle? I always idle mine a little fast, so the pistons get lots of oil.

The lifter damage is due to a lack of oil or oil contamination (gas) or oil breakdown (heat).

They don't call me Ironhead Rick just because I'm hard headed
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Gold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to behold

The thing that gets to me is it looks like nobody else so far has seen a hole through that screen. I mean it was almost as big around as a dime...that's a lot of bird shot in the gear case...and trans, which might help explain the cracked c/s boss...I'm kicking myself that I didn't keep it so y'all could see it.

"If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." - Ferris Bueller

Last edited by Gold Member; 4 Weeks Ago at 16:55..
Old 4 Weeks Ago

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

A hole in that screen would have to have been made by the screen getting wadded up or pushed into the rotating breather valve.

Was there damage to the breather valve or the bore of the sleeve? Like it had been eating at the screen?

Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

i cannot visualize anything requiring that screen. if something gives in the cam case, there is plenty of void for it to settle. as far as coming from the trap, the hole from the c/c trough is not very big and even if something could go through it, the trap has plenty of void space to contain it.
i have seen the screen dissolved however, not worn out. i believe the issue to be acid oil. when a machine sits up long periods, moisture in the oil can become acidic and since this screen sees moisture laden blowby, makes sense.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Gold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder rick View Post
A hole in that screen would have to have been made by the screen getting wadded up or pushed into the rotating breather valve.

Was there damage to the breather valve or the bore of the sleeve? Like it had been eating at the screen?

I won't have the case in front of me for a while...I too was thinking the screen hit that rotating valve...the pump dissassembled hard as if it had been together for a long time with the old gaskets kinda sticking it together...but the engine would have had to come out so they could put the new pistons in, so poss. they took the pump out to look it over and didn't use assembly grease to hold the screen in while they put the pump back in, and it shifted and got a hole worn in it...the steel top of the pump was stuck fast to the case I do remember that...the cover screws were worn like it had been apart in the past...

I think the oil flows out the top of that valve like a fountain and a bit of the screen went between the rear intake tappet wheel and the cam lobe and broke that tappet wheel bearing...also the cam needle bearing is damaged there...Imma have to look over all the cam gears very carefully...the lobe on the rear intake is damaged of course so I got an ebay one for there...

Also I will probably have to do the magic marker ink test trick on all those gears...I know I plan to do it to the tranny gears (Which is getting at least 3 new ones anyway)
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustert View Post
i cannot visualize anything requiring that screen. if something gives in the cam case, there is plenty of void for it to settle. as far as coming from the trap, the hole from the c/c trough is not very big and even if something could go through it, the trap has plenty of void space to contain it.
i have seen the screen dissolved however, not worn out. i believe the issue to be acid oil. when a machine sits up long periods, moisture in the oil can become acidic and since this screen sees moisture laden blowby, makes sense.
hmmmmm yeah in 46 years that screen could dissolve...note to self: keep oil changed

sounds like a likely scenario considering it didn't, to me, look like the pump had ever been taken out.

I will *probably* put a new screen in there then, as long as I know how they go bad...I do have assembly grease coming in the mail...

Or I might not...but a poster did mention that he'd seen bits get into the valve due to a screen not being installed there...shut off engine, circulating crap in the oil could settle in there...
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

well, upgrade the screen to stainless steel.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
GA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud ofGA_Ironhead has much to be proud of

Moon Wolf posed the same question. I'm not sure what the final decision was.

http://xlforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=490378