The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER & BUELL MOTORCYCLE RACING > Sportster Motorcycle Drag Racing
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Drag Racing Discuss drag racing on a Sportster Motorcycle.

Active Threads
0 Upgrade proof, evidence backed, High Flow Air Filter/intake for EFI 883/1200
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 55 Minutes Ago
Replies: 90
Views: 4,701
0 Fixing or replacing primary cover for a 1975 xlh?
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 265
0 2011 Rusty's Iron "BO883R"
Last Post: ChinCactus
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 311
0 Oil pressure switch testing
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 116
0 Keep an Old sportster or buy New
Replies: 6
Views: 333
0 Howdy folks
Replies: 8
Views: 94
0 WTF Happened
Replies: 1,263
Views: 223,137
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: WKNDZ
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,547
Views: 1,164,177
0 Sydney and Northern Beaches riders - any around
Last Post: petersinc
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 10,779
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,325
Views: 1,821,980
0 07 883 Low .... lifting
Last Post: 45Brit
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 117
0 2021 Christmas List
Last Post: Brad
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 46
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 49,906
Views: 8,155,303
0 2021 street bike build for the track
Last Post: madnss
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 51
Views: 2,814
0 03 xlh 88"
Last Post: Tinz
Replies: 62
Views: 5,126
0 Late 84-85 primary cover to 86-90 cover??
Last Post: Iron Mike
Replies: 21
Views: 461
0 This place still sucks!!!
Last Post: Bryan1976
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 68
Views: 2,177
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: ronccc
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 27,277
Views: 2,834,883
0 New Owner
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 132
0 ISO parts for my 1986 build
Last Post: ferretface
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 245
0 0Salt Flat Sporton
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 60
Views: 2,630
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 1,833
Views: 266,439
0 Can you ID this bike?
Last Post: Bigshankhank
Replies: 20
Views: 1,042
0 Normal or excessive intake valve buildup
Last Post: sungod
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 432
0 Newbie seeks smoother ride
Last Post: Jerry P
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 4,721
0 Corona Virus
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,322
Views: 126,107
0 1250 Unhappiness 2020 edition
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 84
Views: 5,121
0 2009 Iron 883 Wont Start!
Last Post: jsaintmartin
Replies: 70
Views: 1,523
0 One cylinder working ...
Last Post: Bert fegg
Replies: 33
Views: 1,238
0 Was your 1st bike a Sportster?
Last Post: boomerguy
Replies: 1,048
Views: 274,726
More...
Members Birthdays
ezduzit (65), Wolfden (59), dansantos99 (50), Camacho (49), RedHeep (44), cbaff (38), Elf McKuen (37)

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: pending
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
thecarfarmer has much to be proud ofthecarfarmer has much to be proud ofthecarfarmer has much to be proud ofthecarfarmer has much to be proud ofthecarfarmer has much to be proud ofthecarfarmer has much to be proud ofthecarfarmer has much to be proud ofthecarfarmer has much to be proud ofthecarfarmer has much to be proud ofthecarfarmer has much to be proud ofthecarfarmer has much to be proud of

So, spending a few quality minutes with the Ronnie's online parts fiche... seems that the original spacer in my bike is H-D part 33344-94; the corresponding part for a '91-2 is p/n 33334-85

The page on PBI's site for the sprocket I got recommended a 33334-79 spacer (which is what I ordered). Mr. Google tells me this is for an '83 big twin. Suspect this may be part of the issue... so, another Dennis Kirk order placed. Couple pairs of plugs, couple oil filters, some DOT5 (the local parts store only had a couple cans - and DANG! that stuff is dear, and some other sundries.

I need to start a business, so I can write all this junk off!
Old 1 Week Ago
Flat Track Racer

thecarfarmer has much to be proud ofthecarfarmer has much to be proud ofthecarfarmer has much to be proud ofthecarfarmer has much to be proud ofthecarfarmer has much to be proud ofthecarfarmer has much to be proud ofthecarfarmer has much to be proud ofthecarfarmer has much to be proud ofthecarfarmer has much to be proud ofthecarfarmer has much to be proud ofthecarfarmer has much to be proud of

Got the rear tire mounted today; ended up spending much of the day over at a friend's house dealing with some plumbing issues.

The Fedex site has shown my chain sitting in Memphis for the last week. Now, Dennis Kirk has sent my order with that spacer by Fedex... wonder when I'll see that .

But progress is progress, and at least one of the sprockets is on

Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
madnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond repute

Spacer and the seal changed in 94 I think? I can’t remember, same id, different od, as well as the corresponding seal. I’m not sure on depth, I had to order a new new seal for my 03, but used a bt/old style Xl spacer I had for the chain drive.

Dennis Kirk is usually pretty quick, but I live 3 hours from them so I would imagine it depends on where you are located. I order a lot of gaskets ect from dk, if it’s in stock and I order before 10 am I get it the next day, if not I can order as late as 7pm and it’s always the day after. I’m very lucky, I don’t bother ordering locally from places because of this convenience for gaskets, seals and what not.

Looks like she’s coming together!
Old 4 Days Ago
Flat Track Racer

Yeah, man, DK moves the stuff out quick for sure. I'm in Arkansas, and have got my care packages in a couple days. Well pleased.

Remember when we were kids, and we'd look forwards to getting the toy in the bottom of the cereal box. Well, they send stickers with parts for adults...

Bike's starting to look like herself again...

Punch list is getting shorter...

Bike sure is a bunch lower, now. I had to dent the muffler for the axle bolt @ the regular ride height...

Sprocket spacer showed up; seems to line the front sprocket with the rear. But, need another seal. Thought I'd ordered one for a '91-2; will have to dig out my receipt and try again. EDIT: looked at my receipt - ordered a seal for the belt drive setup.

*shakes head*

Looks like I'm gonna just call the stealership on Monday

Also, have to see about a chain. Bought one offa eBay, right before the freeze. FedEx tracking showed it sitting in Memphis for 10 days, now their website has no record of the tracking #. Ugh.

Last edited by thecarfarmer; 4 Days Ago at 05:10.. Reason: update my oil seal debacle...
Old 1 Day Ago
Flat Track Racer

Well, the chain I bought off eBay was stuck in a FedEx warehouse in Memphis, then the tracking number quit working. So, I went and bought another one, since I had no idea when the first would arrive.

Well, as luck would have it, the second one is showing as being in a FedEx warehouse in Memphis right now, and the first one was sitting on the porch when I got home.

Box has seen better days, but, the chain looks pretty good. Gonna' have a spare, which doesn't hurt my feelings too much.

For tonight, it's living room decor.

Picked up a '91 XL oil seal for the spacer for the output shaft - will see how that works.
Old 1 Day Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Xl
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
madnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond reputemadnss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecarfarmer View Post
Well, the chain I bought off eBay was stuck in a FedEx warehouse in Memphis, then the tracking number quit working. So, I went and bought another one, since I had no idea when the first would arrive.

Well, as luck would have it, the second one is showing as being in a FedEx warehouse in Memphis right now, and the first one was sitting on the porch when I got home.

Box has seen better days, but, the chain looks pretty good. Gonna' have a spare, which doesn't hurt my feelings too much.

For tonight, it's living room decor.

Picked up a '91 XL oil seal for the spacer for the output shaft - will see how that works.

I’m curious what the tensile strength is on that chain. I’m not saying anything is wrong or negative with it, but a quick google search shows it as a 30 dollar chain. I’m not saying that won’t work.
Old 19 Hours Ago
Flat Track Racer

Ack!

Well, I thought the DID chain was supposed to be a good brand, and what I was missing here was a pretty, gold anti-corrosion coating.

Well, fuuu... er, dang it - the other one just showed up.

Curious how often chains break at the 80-100 HP level if not already worn the heck out, misadjusted, or otherwise improperly installed/maintained...

Will keep an eye on them, and promptly let them adorn the round file when worn