The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 EFI conversion on an '05 1200c??
Last Post: kdanie
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 1
0 The Dealer Is So Out of Touch - Shitty Experience
Last Post: Traxx
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 1,591
0 Iron-shed
Last Post: LetsDoIt
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 115
0 Knowing weather you can ride
Last Post: Traxx
Posted On: 20 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 263
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Yakcm2
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 15,616
Views: 876,235
0 Cleaning clutch
Last Post: tussuck
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 217
0 New to the Chopper Lyfe
Replies: 37
Views: 3,336
0 Bleed air from the oil drain tube after an oil change?
Replies: 4
Views: 407
2 My 1275 Hammer Conversion..
Last Post: Bryan83taco
Replies: 92
Views: 3,620
0 im sure its been done to death trans fluid
Last Post: burely
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 27
0 Too HOT to ride?
Last Post: glbsportster
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 336
Views: 26,157
0 06 Roadster. Any problems? What’s it worth?
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 326
0 Checking slow jet is correct size
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 10
Views: 194
0 Rubbermount oil consumption poll
Replies: 226
Views: 109,577
0 Noise from Primary. Bike with extremely low miles
Views: 128
0 New member
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 196
0 Accessory Fuse
Replies: 2
Views: 78
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 16,800
Views: 1,662,567
0 Why? (Old Threads Show Up)
Replies: 2
Views: 121
0 su carb question
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 17
Views: 419
0 Performance valves and springs
Last Post: brucstoudt
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 1,164
0 Wtb--1967--1972 xlh
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Views: 103
0 Frame bracket
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 293
0 What brand synthetic oil do you use
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 467
Views: 115,445
0 In case you have not seen Harley-Davidson's New Business Plan-
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 532
0 Lets see your off season builds
Last Post: Tinz
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,376
Views: 193,695
0 Clunking into 1st after Clutch is engaged and shifter is pressed
Last Post: DitchTBHSMM
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 292
0 *DK Custom - Limited Time Sweetheart Deals - Save 10% On Select Items*
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 231
0 C.O.B.B. CBD oil
Last Post: TUCCI
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 1,483
0 new to me 883
Last Post: robbie202
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 382
More...
Members Birthdays
pwssr, petefwa, skeeter883 (68), roadogette (67), khaskins (62), iriegnome (55), sportster808 (52), ironheadmax (50), matt275 (45), DJb (44), HDFirefighter (38)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

ryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond reputeryder rick has a reputation beyond repute

Even with a big rotor that caliper is real close or hitting the wheel spokes....
Old 1 Week Ago
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX1000-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
spamer80 is a glorious beacon of lightspamer80 is a glorious beacon of lightspamer80 is a glorious beacon of lightspamer80 is a glorious beacon of lightspamer80 is a glorious beacon of lightspamer80 is a glorious beacon of lightspamer80 is a glorious beacon of lightspamer80 is a glorious beacon of lightspamer80 is a glorious beacon of lightspamer80 is a glorious beacon of lightspamer80 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMick View Post
The rotor is installed and held in place by the bolts. It is not necessary for the hole in the rotor center to be a close fit on the axle.
That`s some good news, thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicThompson View Post
I see that your caliper is using some kind of a bracket to mount to fork leg. Have you removed your caliper from this bracket and looked to see if a different bracket would work to align your caliper on your existing rotor? Might be less $$ to fabricate bracket.
That was the one I`ve found. The other one is for Arlen Ne$$ big rotors.
Or for radial calipers. Or something else. But maybe I`m just typing a wrong request to Google.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryder rick View Post
Even with a big rotor that caliper is real close or hitting the wheel spokes....
It`s hitting a little. But I hope to solve it with rotor spacers (also called hub plate 41814-76A) which came from `84 and some shims under caliper mounting bolts too.
I thought anyway about 21-18 laced wheels, it will take a lot of weight from the bike. 26 and 35 lbs front and rear mags. That' s no joke.
Just need some time, some ride and a temporary solution with mag ones.
Sponsored Links
Old 1 Week Ago
Know It All

spamer80 is a glorious beacon of lightspamer80 is a glorious beacon of lightspamer80 is a glorious beacon of lightspamer80 is a glorious beacon of lightspamer80 is a glorious beacon of lightspamer80 is a glorious beacon of lightspamer80 is a glorious beacon of lightspamer80 is a glorious beacon of lightspamer80 is a glorious beacon of lightspamer80 is a glorious beacon of lightspamer80 is a glorious beacon of light

Now that's outrageous.

At first I was: ok, that's nice '82 Roadster tank. If I can't have 4.5 gal, then I can have at least 3.6.

But then. Tank DOES NOT FIT. AGAIN. ONE YEAR, ONE!!!!
If I try to install it like it fits right, there is only the frame without any holes on the front. And I can't mount the coil because the holes are too far away under the tank.

If I try to align the mounting holes it stays too high for the tunnel

Too much pushed back to install the seat and sit on frame properly

And in both positions the tank front mounting ears are too much wide for any mounting holes possible.
Goto>Sportsterpedia. What do you think is there. The xxxxxxx 1983-e84 frame has different part number.
The end.
Summarizing all of the above, I declare that 83-e84 years are the worst in the Sportster history ever.
They do have:
No kick (<79 year)
No 18" rear wheel (<79 year)
No brakes (next year)
No alternator (next year)
No pushing out clutch (dry or next year)
No gas tanks (previous or next year)
No 11.5 rotors (next year)
No drive chain/belt interchangeability (next year)
Etc.
Old 1 Week Ago
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have the thick, heavy, U-shaped, rubber cushion support for that tank? Part number 61139-73.

Do you have the well nuts? Part number 8099

These parts are available as part of a Superglide mounting kit from J&P Cycles and others. You need them to mount the Roadster tank that you have. I mounted an identical one on my 1980 and on my 1978 using these parts.

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 1 Week Ago
Know It All

Quote:
Do you have the thick, heavy, U-shaped, rubber cushion support for that tank? Part number 61139-73.

Do you have the well nuts? Part number 8099

These parts are available as part of a Superglide mounting kit from J&P Cycles and others. You need them to mount the Roadster tank that you have. I mounted an identical one on my 1980 and on my 1978 using these parts.
Not yet. I've read your posts, so I think I will use the manifold rubber for rear as well.
Regarding the front, there will be some frame drilling work I suppose. So the well nuts probably will be different too, from local shop.
Old 1 Week Ago
Rider Of The Iron Steed

IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

First I had to figure out what "well nuts" actually are Then I used them from a couple of different local suppliers - Canadian Tire had them for a while then no more, Facca Fasteners has had them.

Eventually I found that is was best to use the well nuts but not as originally intended. I installed one into each hole in the frame head, then ran a long bolt thru them, thru the tank horns, into a washer & nut on the other side, ignoring the threads in the inserts. This worked much better then a single short bolt into the threads on each side.

Along with the horseshoe mount on the back end, this worked excellent for that tank on my bikes.
Old 6 Days Ago
Know It All

Quote:
First I had to figure out what "well nuts" actually are Then I used them from a couple of different local suppliers - Canadian Tire had them for a while then no more, Facca Fasteners has had them.

Eventually I found that is was best to use the well nuts but not as originally intended. I installed one into each hole in the frame head, then ran a long bolt thru them, thru the tank horns, into a washer & nut on the other side, ignoring the threads in the inserts. This worked much better then a single short bolt into the threads on each side.

Along with the horseshoe mount on the back end, this worked excellent for that tank on my bikes.
That's great. My old peanut sounded like can when was almost empty. When I first heard this sound, I stopped on the side of the road and for almost 20 minutes tried to figure out where the sound was coming from. Then I just stopped at a gas station and the sound disappeared
Do you have a photo of a horseshoe mount installed on the bike?
Old 6 Days Ago
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sorry no pic. The horseshoe mount goes near the back of the tank. If you look at the bottom of the tank near the back you will see a slight indent that the closed end of the horseshoe just fits into. It is a few inches in from the very back.

I also used an intake o-ring to hold the back down. This is a common, reasonably well known technique that is used for tanks of this type on other bikes as well. There is a hook thing on each side at the back of the tank. Loop the o-ring around one of them then stretch it to fit over the other. I use a hooked needle nose pliers to stretch it around. It is a bit of work.

A pic of the well nuts...

Here's how I rubber mount my king tank, slices of 3/8" ID oil line...
Old 6 Days Ago
Know It All

Great, that' helpful! I already found the well nuts and horseshoe on eBay.
Old 3 Days Ago
Know It All

Mick, what`s the difference between large and small horseshoe mounts?
Also searching for the way to mount the coil. Found this thread
The picture you`ve posted was gone long ago. I understand from there that there is 31602-82 bracket and somehow it does not fit the Ultima coil.
Why? My Ultima coil looks almost like stock and fitted well.
Here how it looks like.

And there is another bracket 61100-82 but I can`t find any actual photos or information about it.