The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 su carb question
Last Post: Serious Blac
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 34
Views: 879
0 In tank fuel filter on 2004 xlc
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 19 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 50
0 Bike not started for 5 years
Last Post: connorneil13
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 37
0 Another clutch Question
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 57 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 133
0 tire changer
Last Post: Eric Von Zipper
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 362
0 never mind
Replies: 142
Views: 11,342
0 The Dealer Is So Out of Touch - Shitty Experience
Replies: 27
Views: 1,719
2 Your daily tunes...
Replies: 13
Views: 564
0 Knowing weather you can ride
Replies: 20
Views: 647
0 Too HOT to ride?
Replies: 338
Views: 26,672
0 Noise from Primary. Bike with extremely low miles
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 362
0 Grenade plate fix with XR1200 parts...
Last Post: PetesPonies
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 49
Views: 6,217
0 Show your favorite pic of your bike. just one
Last Post: glbsportster
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 4,762
Views: 1,833,161
0 Rear Master Cylinder Rebuild or New?
Last Post: PetesPonies
Replies: 14
Views: 2,213
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 16,847
Views: 1,670,261
0 Frame bracket
Last Post: Bwf347
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 560
0 im sure its been done to death trans fluid
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 11
Views: 284
0 Happy Birthday Mrs. Folkie.
Last Post: Ireeman
Replies: 14
Views: 263
0 Changed gas cap and experienced problems
Last Post: TUCCI
Replies: 5
Views: 103
1 Three Harley-Davidson Sportsters That Don’t Care What You Think
Views: 296
0 Spoke hub bearing assembly
Last Post: Jonv
Replies: 7
Views: 223
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 46,378
Views: 7,373,194
0 my recent ebay purchase
Last Post: Moon Wolf
Replies: 29
Views: 1,756
0 Stock wires for coil relocation
Last Post: Bikeaholic
Replies: 1
Views: 89
0 Best Tuner options?
Last Post: Bikeaholic
Replies: 8
Views: 212
0 top end noise
Last Post: Toejam503
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Views: 236
0 LED headlight caused problems
Last Post: Bluto
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 59
0 Broke my drive belt (Stay With The Belt Or Do A Chain Conversion?)
Last Post: jkinkade
Replies: 89
Views: 23,759
0 Barnet clutch spring plate
Last Post: dayypete
Views: 97
0 Hi from Barcelona!
Last Post: shanneba
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Views: 88
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
BigMek is a splendid one to beholdBigMek is a splendid one to beholdBigMek is a splendid one to beholdBigMek is a splendid one to beholdBigMek is a splendid one to beholdBigMek is a splendid one to beholdBigMek is a splendid one to beholdBigMek is a splendid one to beholdBigMek is a splendid one to beholdBigMek is a splendid one to beholdBigMek is a splendid one to behold

You probably don't want stainless allens. Stainless bolts into aluminum basically cold welds them together, which may be the source of your current difficulties.

Also stainless bolts are only about as strong as Grade 5 hardware, so they'll be weaker than the chromed variety. I think the countersink allen bolts are made of the same stuff as regular allens, which is even stronger than Grade 8.
Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH IR EFI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1200RS
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Iron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Heat and a sharp center punch. After heating strike a dimple in the outermost dia of the bolt head. Use the dimple and center punch to turn the bolt, being careful not to strike directly down, but in the direction of rotation. Use sharp blows to impact it around and not to drive the underside of the bolt head into the countersunk area on the rotor. Once it is loose, your alllen should suffice to turn it the rest of the way out, even if the reciever is slightly deformed.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to beholdericfreeman is a splendid one to behold

+1 on Mick's notice of the red Loctite! I've done this on my discs and you have to use high heat to release the Loctite. Once the bolts are hot, they'll back out easily. To try without heat will only result in disaster. If you don't have torches, take the wheels to someone who does.

Eric
1978 Anniversary Edition XLH. Wiseco 10:1 forged pistons, Andrews R5 cams, dual plugged heads with Super Port Flow, single fire ignition, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, Jagg oil cooler, '73 gauges, kickstart, Barnett kevlar clutch, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks, all-Andrews tranny. 1977 XLT, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, tapered dual exhausts, Andrews Y cams, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
JonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond reputeJonesL has a reputation beyond repute

Heating has its draw backs. You want to only heat the bolt and not the area(s) around it.
If you have a friend with a welder:
With Allen bolts, the trick I use is to plug weld the hex hole closed with a MIG welder. Let that cool completely and as the bolt cools and contracts, it'll usually shrink and break loose. Hand in hand with that is to plug weld a nut onto the button formed when plug welding the bolt hex. Let that cool completely and go after it with an end wrench. The trick with stuck bolts is to first try tightening them just enough to break them loose. Tightening a bolt puts its threads in compression while loosening stretches the threads, putting them in tension and easier to break.

No welder?:
I've had pretty good luck drilling the bolts out.
With new, sharp cobalt or TiN coated drill bits, drill through the Allen bolt from end to end. By starting small, you can make corrections to keep on center as you go up in drill sizes. When you get a good straight hole bored through, stop before you have the "walls" of the bolt too thin. You still want to remove what's left of the bolt and the threads in one piece. Now switch to a left hand twist drill bit, included in some screw extractor kits.
By drilling out the center of the bolt, you're turning it into a hollow tube which without inner support, will tend to collapse very slightly, losing it's grip on the threads. The trick with left hand twist bits is that, at some point the bit will usually snag and unscrew the remainder of the bolt from the hole.
Old 1 Week Ago
Blind Owl

Sportster/Buell Model: XLB, XLCH, Sporton
Sportster/Buell Year: 1962
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1966
Other Motorcycle Model: XLCH (Another one)
Other Motorcycle Year: 1966
Ferrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond reputeFerrous Head has a reputation beyond repute

I found a LOT of heat and the impact hammer was the answer. But if you have already wrecked the heads you will need another solution on those bolts.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

i remove fasteners all the time by welding a nut on top through the hole and immediately wrench it out, welding heat makes it easy and is concentrated on the fastener.
as far as ss and aluminum, i totally disagree as that is exactly what we use on steel guitar frame. now they do make diff grades, we use 316.
a big issue with aluminum is over torque, if you go past yield and the thread breaks, upon removal, you just thread locked it.
when i removed mine, i used a jeweler tip on my torch and they came out easily.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX
Sportster/Buell Year: 83
Sportster/Buell Year #2: xlh
SHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to allSHAKY DAVE is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonesL View Post
Heating has its draw backs. You want to only heat the bolt and not the area(s) around it.
If you have a friend with a welder:
With Allen bolts, the trick I use is to plug weld the hex hole closed with a MIG welder. Let that cool completely and as the bolt cools and contracts, it'll usually shrink and break loose. Hand in hand with that is to plug weld a nut onto the button formed when plug welding the bolt hex. Let that cool completely and go after it with an end wrench. The trick with stuck bolts is to first try tightening them just enough to break them loose. Tightening a bolt puts its threads in compression while loosening stretches the threads, putting them in tension and easier to break.

No welder?:
I've had pretty good luck drilling the bolts out.
With new, sharp cobalt or TiN coated drill bits, drill through the Allen bolt from end to end. By starting small, you can make corrections to keep on center as you go up in drill sizes. When you get a good straight hole bored through, stop before you have the "walls" of the bolt too thin. You still want to remove what's left of the bolt and the threads in one piece. Now switch to a left hand twist drill bit, included in some screw extractor kits.
By drilling out the center of the bolt, you're turning it into a hollow tube which without inner support, will tend to collapse very slightly, losing it's grip on the threads. The trick with left hand twist bits is that, at some point the bit will usually snag and unscrew the remainder of the bolt from the hole.
+1.drillen and screw extractors work well for me
Old 1 Week Ago
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL racebike in progress
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: Moto Guzzi V11 Lemans
Other Motorcycle Year: 2002
Scott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant futureScott has a brilliant future

Patience, a drill, and new allen bolts (with plenty of anti-seize) worked for me.
Sponsored Links
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

pretty rough to do a straight hole free hand and a bear to flop a rim on a drill press table. if i were to do this method, plunge cut mill on my lagun knee mill.
Old 1 Week Ago
Biker

Nitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really niceNitro57xl is just really nice

Aircraft tool supply sells a tool that's fits an air chisel that has a 3/8" square drive on the other end. This allows you to put Allen bits, screwdrivers, sockets on the tool. The vibrations of the air chisell and some pressure with a wrench on the 5/8" hex shank will loosen many hard to remove fasteners, seized bolts, etc. Your only other chance is to weld a nut on the screwhead and hope the heat of welding releases the loctite?