The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 15,663
Views: 881,738
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16,893
Views: 1,676,513
0 Touring on a Hugger
Last Post: bklyngeezer
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 34
0 What brand synthetic oil do you use
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 471
Views: 115,822
0 Magneto base for 70 XLCH
Last Post: Pickss
Replies: 1
Views: 74
2 My 1275 Hammer Conversion..
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Replies: 140
Views: 6,050
0 Too HOT to ride?
Last Post: Skeezix
Replies: 347
Views: 28,107
0 Who Runs Turn Signals?
Last Post: glbsportster
Replies: 370
Views: 76,675
0 Figure Machine external breather
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 8
Views: 145
0 Bigger rear Pulley
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 10
Views: 179
0 Trans corner fix
Last Post: RicThompson
Replies: 20
Views: 1,179
0 Bike not started for 5 years
Last Post: ChinCactus
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 258
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 2,895
Views: 251,321
0 su carb question
Last Post: trappnman
Replies: 43
Views: 1,474
0 Krome Werks HP Plus slipons - Replacements ?
Last Post: npaisnel
Replies: 20
Views: 334
0 im sure its been done to death trans fluid
Last Post: burely
Replies: 14
Views: 656
0 TC88a DIY Power adapter ?
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 28
Views: 1,303
0 never mind
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 144
Views: 11,441
0 high milage sportsters
Replies: 8
Views: 196
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Replies: 6,591
Views: 891,329
0 flat earther bites dust trying to prove the earth is flat
Last Post: glbsportster
Replies: 6
Views: 201
0 Front brake calliper strange noise...
Last Post: TUCCI
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 139
0 Official XLForum Poll: What kind of bars are you running?
Last Post: Clevspeed
Replies: 660
Views: 155,566
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 46,399
Views: 7,376,429
0 How tricky is it to replace dipstick trim from oil tank?
Last Post: TUCCI
Replies: 12
Views: 718
0 Stock wires for coil relocation
Last Post: orvitarius
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Views: 116
0 Hi from Barcelona!
Last Post: orvitarius
Replies: 12
Views: 554
1 Pics of pets and what type of animals you have
Last Post: stikflote
Replies: 994
Views: 215,696
0 Shifter shaft seal.
Last Post: vagrant318
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 64
Views: 10,843
0 A tale of two wheels
Last Post: Matt Black
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Views: 86
More...
Members Birthdays
stroker ace (80), beunme (60)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH IR EFI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1200RS
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Iron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim The Grim View Post
There’s no substitute for having an intimate knowledge of every aspect of your scoot.

Assembling and fitting every component, brings with it that “sixth sense” of anything out of the ordinary and hopefully how to fix it before it really goes wrong.

Other guys built my lower ends because I didn’t have the correct tools, but that’s it.

I’ve always done my own tear downs, top ends and full assembly since I was 17. The 3 times my Ironhead left me stranded during the 31 years I owned it were a broken point cam screw, a dissolved primary drive belt and a broken rear chain that wouldn’t accept the master link I always carry on my key ring. There were dozens of successful roadside fixes because I knew every nut, bolt, wire and bracket and carried the right tools.

Just having an Ironhead titled in your name doesn’t mean you “OWN” it.
Very well said and oh so true.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
Gold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to beholdGold Member is a splendid one to behold

Yeah in my heart of hearts I really do want to do it myself. Probably about time to start my build thread. I've put it off all this time (I got this wheeled junk pile in Nov of 2017) because I knew there would be a lot of downtime and I didn't want to lose readers. On the one hand I think I could probably fix any one problem. My problem is the whole thing is in pieces. And yes I agree the thing to do is to know the bike inside and out, and that was my original intention. It's kind of a blessing in disguise when you get a total mess ironhead because by golly, you are going to get to know it.

Great idea about keeping a master link on your keychain. See, that's the kind of help I need, all the little details.

"If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up." - Ferris Bueller

"Put an end once and for all to this discussion of what a good person should be, and be one."
- Marcus Aurelius
Old 1 Week Ago
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead Hardtail
Sportster/Buell Year: 1980
Other Motorcycle Model: KTM Duke 390
Other Motorcycle Year: 2015
Bigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant futureBigshankhank has a brilliant future

It seems overwhelming looking at the entire thing in pieces on the floor of your garage, so start assembling little pieces one at a time until you build up the momentum to say "xxxx it I feel like bolting the engine back in to the frame today" and suddenly you are looking at something mostly motorcycle-shaped.
As they say, a single person can eat an entire elephant, just gotta do it one bite at a time.
Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLCH IR EFI
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1971
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K1200RS
Other Motorcycle Year: 2001
Iron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond reputeIron Mike has a reputation beyond repute

The master link on the key ring is for the reminder to service your chain regularly, not for roadside repairs. Or to give it to your buddy who neglects his and is holding everyone up on the side of the road.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200V
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
Sportster/Buell Model #2: KHK
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1954
Other Motorcycle Model: Valkyrie
Other Motorcycle Year: 96
Tim The Grim has a reputation beyond reputeTim The Grim has a reputation beyond reputeTim The Grim has a reputation beyond reputeTim The Grim has a reputation beyond reputeTim The Grim has a reputation beyond reputeTim The Grim has a reputation beyond reputeTim The Grim has a reputation beyond reputeTim The Grim has a reputation beyond reputeTim The Grim has a reputation beyond reputeTim The Grim has a reputation beyond reputeTim The Grim has a reputation beyond repute

Plus 4 sizes of spare nuts.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1981
Other Motorcycle Model: Roadking
Other Motorcycle Year: 2003
farmerbill5 is a splendid one to beholdfarmerbill5 is a splendid one to beholdfarmerbill5 is a splendid one to beholdfarmerbill5 is a splendid one to beholdfarmerbill5 is a splendid one to beholdfarmerbill5 is a splendid one to beholdfarmerbill5 is a splendid one to beholdfarmerbill5 is a splendid one to beholdfarmerbill5 is a splendid one to beholdfarmerbill5 is a splendid one to beholdfarmerbill5 is a splendid one to behold

Restoration costs more than repair, last summer while waiting for my lower end to come back from the machine shop, ( getting stroked) I picked up a 1979 lowrider, mostly stock and started going through it. Re did the top end and heads , replaced bearings , seals , cam, fixed stripped holes, replaced wiring and switches, tires, etc. I imagine if I had a shop do what I did it would have cost $4000.00 +, I enjoy doing this kind of work on my bikes, and when something goes wrong I know what to look for. I encourage you to finish it up yourself, it will be a lot more enjoyable to ride, as was said before, do a piece at a time
Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1960
brucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond reputebrucstoudt has a reputation beyond repute

awesome key ring Tim.it's even better seeing it than reading about it on pg.1.
72 1000cc barrels and heads, s&s 41/2'' flywheels, sifton cams, s&s super B w/ zippers thunderjet w/yost powertube, andrews gears,and shafts, competition engineering kevlar wet or dry clutch, 72 oil pump, morris magneto w/auto advance and single fire module, cycle electric generator w/electronic regulator,73 cu.in.
Old 1 Week Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1972 xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 1972
steve lewis has a spectacular aura aboutsteve lewis has a spectacular aura aboutsteve lewis has a spectacular aura aboutsteve lewis has a spectacular aura aboutsteve lewis has a spectacular aura aboutsteve lewis has a spectacular aura aboutsteve lewis has a spectacular aura aboutsteve lewis has a spectacular aura aboutsteve lewis has a spectacular aura about

There is also legal liability in someone assembling your bike, when someone sues and the lawyers get involved. It has to be $100.00 an hour, at least, if not more.
Sponsored Links
Old 1 Week Ago
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve lewis View Post
There is also legal liability in someone assembling your bike, when someone sues and the lawyers get involved. It has to be $100.00 an hour, at least, if not more.
an example of that - when i lived in fredericksburg in some apartments, i took my bike to an indy and had him put tires on for me - i didn't have the tools or the work space. when i returned for my bike, the receipt had a big list of things that "weren't up to par". he admitted that the items weren't really of immediate concern, but just a little c.y.a. for him. you know the "i informed the customer, and he declined" song and dance.
Old 1 Week Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
ferretface is a name known to allferretface is a name known to allferretface is a name known to allferretface is a name known to allferretface is a name known to allferretface is a name known to allferretface is a name known to allferretface is a name known to allferretface is a name known to allferretface is a name known to allferretface is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold Member View Post
On the one hand I think I could probably fix any one problem. My problem is the whole thing is in pieces.
IMO the way to restore it is to do it in stages. Like, put the entire engine aside. Work on the wheels, the frame, the wiring, the brake lines/linkage. Get the seat and tank done to your satisfaction, then maybe the front forks. When you have a decent rolling chassis, then start on the engine. Don't go overboard. Stock bore & stroke is 'good enough', original cams too. Save the clutch and transmission for last.

I know, I'm a case of calling the kettle black. But I did my brake lines first, then my alternator conversion, and after a lot of persuasion, my transmission. The bike is all back together and even looks good (to me, anyway).

I don't have a real sense of accomplishment, but I'm satisfied that my heirs won't be stuck with a couple bushel baskets of iron. They'll have a lot easier time placing it with an appreciative new owner. Hopefully, doodah man will have a pickup truck and a plank.