The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical > Sportster Motorcycle Electrical and Ignition
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Active Threads
0 Front cylinder base gasket leak
Last Post: Doc308
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 551
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11,032
Views: 976,994
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: NLXL
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16,182
Views: 920,709
0 Who runs 70wt. oil
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Posted On: 17 Minutes Ago
Replies: 71
Views: 11,263
0 Xl1200c
Last Post: juzyHD
Posted On: 31 Minutes Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 106
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 46,787
Views: 7,453,200
3 How To Post Photos
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 102
Views: 104,696
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 17,768
Views: 1,789,374
0 Need help picking new mufflers
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 273
0 Shaking front end
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 46
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: Joe_jeep
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,724
Views: 923,998
0 How packed is your garage?
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 110
0 short chrome sissy bar with pad, but bolt on, not quick detach.
Replies: 24
Views: 1,529
0 Oil, Filters and Spark Plugs
Last Post: glbsportster
Replies: 105
Views: 6,838
0 MPG HONESTLY, what do you get?
Replies: 593
Views: 81,061
0 Just saying G'day
Last Post: big andy
Replies: 15
Views: 270
0 XL Forum will now be the Suzuki Intruder Forum
Replies: 26
Views: 579
0 Screamin Wafle Plugs
Last Post: lostjohnny
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 226
0 2003 1275 BFH 120hp still pings when going full throttle
Last Post: rocketmangb
Replies: 23
Views: 696
0 15 min rides
Last Post: doodah man
Replies: 39
Views: 814
0 Who Runs Turn Signals?
Last Post: NGOT8R
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 373
Views: 79,508
0 68 XLCH - Insight Plz
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 10
Views: 258
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Replies: 4,589
Views: 588,716
0 1986-90 Evo Sportsters: What every owner should know but were afraid to ask
Last Post: keithnh
Replies: 380
Views: 52,964
0 Is it true? (eliminate clutch spring plate)
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 56
Views: 25,551
0 Ignotion power wire question
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 26
Views: 864
0 Need some advice on 1983 Ironhead
Last Post: Yellowstone Kelly
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 38
Views: 2,940
0 Best Plug For A Points Conversion Sporty?
Replies: 1
Views: 74
0 Prototypes?
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 4
Views: 113
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Replies: 10,677
Views: 1,961,357
More...
Members Birthdays
kanger, Leef (75), pwilson1204 (72), TomW (61), micke (55), rat481 (51), Jason2009 (49), runsummore84 (36), wishbone550 (33)
View Poll Results: What band of sparkplug do you use?
Accel 32 2.95%
Champion 128 11.81%
NGK 333 30.72%
Autolite 89 8.21%
Bosch 17 1.57%
Splitfire 13 1.20%
Denso 32 2.95%
HD 302 27.86%
HD Screamin Eagle (any kind) 138 12.73%
Voters: 1084. You may not vote on this poll

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd October 2019
Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200L
Sportster/Buell Year: 2010
Joe_jeep has a brilliant futureJoe_jeep has a brilliant futureJoe_jeep has a brilliant futureJoe_jeep has a brilliant futureJoe_jeep has a brilliant futureJoe_jeep has a brilliant futureJoe_jeep has a brilliant futureJoe_jeep has a brilliant futureJoe_jeep has a brilliant futureJoe_jeep has a brilliant futureJoe_jeep has a brilliant future

the plugs in my 2010 xl1200 low are rusty and look horrible!
they appear to be hd factory plugs with 4500 miles on them.
it runs great, so they are at least a decent plug.
im sure most name brand plugs will function fine in my stock bike,
but what plug will be least likely to rust, and look bad?

normally i am a fan of autolite iridium plugs.
Old 24th November 2019
Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
glbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond repute

If you have ever wondered why you gap an iridium at .035 and a copper one at .040. read the following and it will help you know and it is also why I use a NGK or HD standard copper plug.

Purpose of the Metal
The metal in a spark plug serves a single basic purpose: to channel the electric energy from the plug wire through the spark plug so that it can be forced to the engine block in the form of a spark. Therefore, any metal that conducts electricity at all could potentially be used for a spark plug. The metal should also not get too hot; one of the main problems with some metals is that they overheat quickly, causing the electric charge itself to be compromised and the spark plug to not operate as smoothly.
Copper Spark Plugs
Copper spark plugs are generally considered to have the best performance of any spark plug type. This is potentially different from what advertising companies suggest, but the other metals are, unfortunately, not as conductive in general as copper is. Platinum and iridium plugs are more likely to overheat, which causes damage to the plug components and can compromise the delivery of the spark to the engine block.
Platinum and Iridium Plugs
Platinum and Iridium plugs perform at a lower level than copper spark plugs, because they are less conductive and they tend to overheat. However, the overall longevity of these two types of metal is better than copper plugs. In reality, copper has the best performance of all three and the worst longevity. Platinum has good longevity and the worst performance. Iridium has good longevity and a performance that is decent, which is why iridium plugs tend to be more expensive than any other type. Still, the difference between these plugs in terms of overall quality is minimal, as there is a trade off for each.
Most copper plugs need to be changed every 20,000 miles or so. Platinum and iridium plugs can often go for twice that before they require changing, but the overall performance will not be as good and you may have to deal with overheating of the plugs. This is potentially not worth the added cost of both platinum and iridium spark plugs, although the decision will depend upon your preference.

Last edited by glbsportster; 23rd February 2020 at 05:30..
Old 24th November 2019
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 883 Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Four Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond reputeFour Speed has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm, not sure where you got your information. There is plenty of manufacturers data to suggest otherwise.
The finer tip of an Iridium plug offers superior ignitability, hence their use in modern ultra lean burn engines.
The 'copper' refers to the "core" which transfers heat away from the tip better. Iridium plugs are a premium
product and NGK, Denso Iridiums etc have copper cores anyway, so the actual difference is Nickel v Iridium tips.
The Iridium tip has several advantages over nickel. Hard wearing, less fouling and because it can be made much
much thinner it quenches the spark a lot less to the extent that it can fire at about 5KV less than a traditional plug.
That is a big advantage on a MC where the ignition systems are often not as powerful. Iridium plugs can be run
closer gapped as there is less shrouding of the spark. But as you say you pays your money and makes your choice.
Old 24th November 2019
Air-Cooled Forever

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: (Prev.Own)XLH Milw.Spec.
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1981
Toejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond reputeToejam503 has a reputation beyond repute

The Iridium tips were designed to combat the effects that "ethanol gasolines" have on spark plugs. When Platinum plugs were introduced, the Car manufacturers could claim 100k miles on the plugs. When ethanol became widely introduced it shortened the plug life by up to 50%. The introduction of iridium plugs lengthened plug life back up to 100k miles. The goal of the Car manufacturers was to make cars that only need service every 100k miles. (not good for us mechanics)
As far as my bike goes, I try not to use any ethanol mixed gasoline as it seems less forgiving in a motorcycle than in a car. I use the Harley Plugs in my bike and change them every other year. In my '81, I used Autolite after experimenting with different brands. A lot of friends use different brands because, I think, the upgrades you have and the way you ride make a difference in what plug works best.
Old 24th November 2019
Dazed & Confused

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2017
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R9T
Other Motorcycle Year: 2015
Tomcatt has disabled reputation

NGK iridium. DPR8EIX-9.
Old 22nd February 2020
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
TUCCI is an unknown quantity at this point

I replaced the ones that came on the bike when I bought it at 2200 miles. I had NGKs in my toolbox from a Dyna I used to own and used them. The difference was notable when I took it for a test drive. The throttle at idle response was a bit flat before I changed them. After changing them the flatness was gone. Heres what the old ones looked like:

Old 22nd February 2020
Harley Engineer

glbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond reputeglbsportster has a reputation beyond repute

I use what is considered the standard NGKs and they seem to work the best in my cycle.....and am sticking with them.....but I have never had any come out of my Sportster's engine looking like yours and am wondering what your NGKs would look like after 1,000 miles, I think I would check them. My engine is considered stock so maybe that has an impact on what plug to use and it seems many individuals use mostly subjective decisions and criteria on which plug works best for them and that includes me.

Last edited by glbsportster; 22nd February 2020 at 14:36..
Old 22nd February 2020
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2016
TUCCI is an unknown quantity at this point

I will be changing mine out at the manual's recommended interval of 2yrs or 30k miles. The bike is a 2016 with 2200miles and sat a lot with frequent start and stops. The air filter was dirty and loaded up with blow-by. The oil was thick and viscous but then I'm in Colorado and 50w will look like axle grease in these temps. I have no way of knowing if any services were done to at all. It's what you encounter when you buy a used bike even the low mileage ones. It's now getting the attention it should have gotten and I will be running it the way it should be.
Old 22nd February 2020
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year: 02
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200c
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 02
Other Motorcycle Model: Xvs650 dragstar
Other Motorcycle Year: 1999
Billy1200 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ngk dcpr7e..
Old 22nd February 2020
Harley Engineer

I take my plugs out every 3 months....just to look at them and see if things are as they should be.....plus I change them annually (since I use only standard copper plugs} and they are relatively cheap and it is easy to do.