The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Suspension, Frame, Forks, Handlebars, Fuel Tank, Oil Tank, Fenders problems, advice, and/or how tos.

Active Threads
0 top end
Last Post: GA_Ironhead
Posted On: 2 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 593
0 Flywheel washer - material/part number
Last Post: borjawil
Posted On: 12 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 287
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 21,213
Views: 1,251,504
0 dragging a parachute
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 50 Minutes Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 859
0 Greetings from California
Last Post: Veeflys
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 1,025
0 Hello From Minnesota
Posted On: 53 Minutes Ago
Views: 779
0 Newbie from Redding, California
Posted On: 54 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 1,078
0 Hi
Posted On: 55 Minutes Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 587
0 New from Arizona
Posted On: 56 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 733
0 New to Sportsters not to Harleys
Posted On: 57 Minutes Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 573
0 2004 rear hub width
Last Post: manman
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 257
0 New Member From Nashville!
Views: 412
0 Hello from PL
Views: 318
0 Do you blow dry your ride after wash
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Replies: 174
Views: 19,021
0 Hi from East Midlands, UK
Views: 844
0 Ugh the old girl is fighting back
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 5
Views: 178
0 greetings from italy
Replies: 14
Views: 471
0 05 Roadster motors
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 223
0 575 cams clearance issues?
Last Post: Edster
Replies: 3
Views: 179
0 New Lifters with new cams with your conversion?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 2
Views: 149
0 Wedding Ring - Do you wear one?
Last Post: Steve9
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 346
Views: 33,536
0 Sportsters No More?
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Replies: 57
Views: 2,793
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 50,278
Views: 8,248,010
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 28,206
Views: 2,984,942
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,025
Views: 357,043
0 Reversion Problem
Last Post: shanneba
Views: 960
0 2003 Sportster 883 Carb Timing Wiring
Last Post: AntonieR
Replies: 2
Views: 90
0 New here from central Maine
Last Post: Highly-Dangerous
Views: 1,050
7 Hi all
Replies: 14
Views: 476
0 New to forum
Replies: 15
Views: 470
More...
Members Birthdays
cz75fan (68), 3legdog (53), odin (52), Nodaclu (51), Shagg666

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th March 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883 now 1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH883
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1993
npaisnel has a reputation beyond reputenpaisnel has a reputation beyond reputenpaisnel has a reputation beyond reputenpaisnel has a reputation beyond reputenpaisnel has a reputation beyond reputenpaisnel has a reputation beyond reputenpaisnel has a reputation beyond reputenpaisnel has a reputation beyond reputenpaisnel has a reputation beyond reputenpaisnel has a reputation beyond reputenpaisnel has a reputation beyond repute

A revelation has occurred....

I put these 2 inch slugs on the low to lift it a bit as a temporary measure....to lift it a bit until I could buy new longer forks/ sort it properly ...,

Now I see, after looking at the link supplied above for the Tracker Die damper tubes, that all I needed to do was change the damper tube and spring inside to give me the extra height.

I had a standard set of damper tubes and springs anyway from the 04 bike !

Even the dealer did not seem to know that... as I discussed all of that with them when I bought this tired 07 bike ‘as seen’ with holes in the exhaust and a burst oil tank.

They are generally a good dealer... they actually just won the Harley Davidson No.1 U.K. Dealer award ..,

Hmm going to have to pop in and speak to them about this !
Old 5th March 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

npaisnel has a reputation beyond reputenpaisnel has a reputation beyond reputenpaisnel has a reputation beyond reputenpaisnel has a reputation beyond reputenpaisnel has a reputation beyond reputenpaisnel has a reputation beyond reputenpaisnel has a reputation beyond reputenpaisnel has a reputation beyond reputenpaisnel has a reputation beyond reputenpaisnel has a reputation beyond reputenpaisnel has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45Brit View Post
Those adverts are interesting, I hadn’t seen those. The main problem with Sportster 39mm forks is the varying component lengths on different models.

Seems thinly difference is the internal components length. If a table I saw is correct..all the stanchions since 1989 have been 25.25 inch or 25.75..cnat remember which . All the ride height differences are in the damper tubes and springs...
Old 5th March 2021
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1978 XLCH project
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1975
45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to say. When I did the forks on my 92 XL, the three sets of tubes I collected were all different lengths. Two were about 1/2” different, but the set on the bike was at least 60mm shorter.

Then again, for a 1992 bike which had been rebuilt at least once to significantly lower it, there is no real telling where they came from. Certainly the damper rods were the “long” length.

The only answer is “look and see what you have”. Oh, and “don’t fit slugs!”
Old 5th March 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Pah to your dislike of slugs

short ones are just fine unless you are doingreally heavy stuff with them Especially if you build a 'fork brace' style clamp between the top and bottom yoke, to clamp around the threaded area at the top of the fork like i have done. 5-6 inch ones where the entire slug is in the yokes and the entire bike weight is supported own eh side walls of the thread areas... yes I know the problem . Seen it heard it all before ..

Interesting what you say about the fork lengths you have..but as yup say ..who knows what has been swapped on them over the years , from what I have found they all show as the same length on 39 mm from 89 up.....hang on ill find the link.

Cant find the link i saw last night on the phone...but here is this

https://motorcyclemetal.com/hd-fork-tube-lengths/

Not that it matters much any way...what they WERE..it is what you have to hand that matters.
Old 5th March 2021
Senior Chief Know It All 3rd Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1992
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1978 XLCH project
Other Motorcycle Model: Sportster XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1975
45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute45Brit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaisnel View Post
Pah to your dislike of slugs

short ones are just fine unless you are doingreally heavy stuff with them Especially if you build a 'fork brace' style clamp between the top and bottom yoke, to clamp around the threaded area at the top of the fork like i have done. 5-6 inch ones where the entire slug is in the yokes and the entire bike weight is supported own eh side walls of the thread areas... yes I know the problem . Seen it heard it all before ..

Interesting what you say about the fork lengths you have..but as yup say ..who knows what has been swapped on them over the years , from what I have found they all show as the same length on 39 mm from 89 up.....hang on ill find the link.

Cant find the link i saw last night on the phone...but here is this

https://motorcyclemetal.com/hd-fork-tube-lengths/

Not that it matters much any way...what they WERE..it is what you have to hand that matters.
How about not having slugs, and not needing a fork brace?

That table of fork lengths is interesting. It looks as though FX and Dyna models always had the longer forks, Sportsters originally had the short ones and eventually they standardised on the longer tubes - presumably because the rubber-mount frame is higher than the solid-mount one? Realistically it doesn’t make much difference, the internals define the overall length - just watch out for short springs.

As a general comment, longer tubes provide more stiffness because the distance between the bushes is longer

My flat track Sportster is very short at the front.
Old 5th March 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45Brit View Post
How about not having slugs, and not needing a fork brace?

Could not magic them out if the air..but the slugs were easy to make on the lathe..as was the brace under the tp yoke..job done in along afternoon.

Not having the slugs is what would have happened if I realised that all was needed was sticking in the different damper rods..that I had sitting there. could have been an hour job and not the 5 hour job! But did not know that at the time..I assumed, as the dealer did that the top tubes were shorter on the Low...
Old 5th March 2021
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL77.2R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
rejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond reputerejeanprimeau has a reputation beyond repute

We tend to forget that the Harley fork and shocks are Showa. Honda dealer offer much more flavour that fit our triple tree and air shocks. Just ask a good dealer to give you the spec of what you want.

https://www.teknikmotorsport.com/brands/

Last edited by rejeanprimeau; 5th March 2021 at 19:58..
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
AZbiker has much to be proud ofAZbiker has much to be proud ofAZbiker has much to be proud ofAZbiker has much to be proud ofAZbiker has much to be proud ofAZbiker has much to be proud ofAZbiker has much to be proud ofAZbiker has much to be proud ofAZbiker has much to be proud ofAZbiker has much to be proud ofAZbiker has much to be proud of

If you go 15" out back you will probably need to fabricate an idler pulley system to keep the final drive from making contact with the swingarm and/or the cases.

It might be a good idea to fab some struts in the length you want your new shocks to be, so you can check for interference.

Good luck with your project, I love lifted XLs.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Thanks for that.
Something to be aware of
Thanks

I looked for an old mid control set of parts the other day from my 04.... gone ... most odd. I found my mid mounts from the 93, but not the 04. So that is a delay... bugger... So now would need to source those parts too

Trying to find an exhaust system too... but not seen any suitable that will clear my panniers

This is becoming a project that could be measured in years .... or permanent pause now, until I can find relatively cheap / free / used solutions to those two above issues
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Good local biker buddy jsut messaged me to say he saw my advert for mid controls on the local UK Sportster Facebook group and he had a set of mids I can have.. so got those now