The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Styles > Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sport-Glide / Sportster Motorcycle Touring This section is for the discussion of setting up you Sportster motorcycle touring and long distance riding.

Active Threads
0 Leineweber camshaft
Last Post: RicThompson
Posted On: 5 Minutes Ago
Replies: 45
Views: 1,627
0 forged pistons?
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 7 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 38
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Posted On: 21 Minutes Ago
Replies: 14,717
Views: 824,745
0 Repairing Cylinder Studs/Cases
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 86
Views: 1,832
0 ARCH motorcycles and more
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 52 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 194
0 2016 Sportster 1200 Custom No Stage information
Last Post: n7rap
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Views: 172
0 IH rearsets and giant stud
Last Post: Scott
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 34
Views: 2,260
0 worth it to do more than stage 1
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 15
Views: 467
0 Bought a '74 today.
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 2
Views: 125
0 Best seat for long rides
Last Post: rejeanprimeau
Replies: 127
Views: 27,916
0 Tools for a '74 Ironhead
Last Post: paulc
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Views: 175
0 Hello from Seattle
Last Post: Veeflys
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 805
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 45,746
Views: 7,241,257
0 Rubbermounts, Stock VS Drag Spec
Last Post: Bored now
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 141
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 15,469
Views: 1,493,594
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: Crusty
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,666
Views: 365,212
0 More oil return questions
Last Post: thefrenchowl
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Views: 427
0 2nd place in a Mileage Contest
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Views: 121
0 Hybrid ceramic wheel bearings
Last Post: Ireeman
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Views: 441
0 I'm baaaack LOL
Last Post: RDHenley
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 251
0 HSR Mikuni cable spring
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 81
0 Keep the V&H head pipes or go stock?
Last Post: 84cj
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 239
0 Rewire with Thunderheat. Getting horn, back brake and back light, nothing else
Last Post: Roane
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 42
Views: 2,494
0 1986-90 Evo Sportsters: What every owner should know but were afraid to ask
Last Post: lehel
Posted On: 19 Hours Ago
Replies: 374
Views: 49,003
0 Hydro Clutch
Last Post: 11B40
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 2,640
0 Plastic Printing - A R&D Short-Cut
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 21 Hours Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 454
0 Ride Report w/ 100's of Photos & Video - 8 States, 2 Countries & 2 Big Surprises
Replies: 34
Views: 1,543
0 SBS Project - Sportster Chop w/ Lots of Photo's
Replies: 300
Views: 84,360
0 2012 883 miss that comes and goes
Last Post: rzirasch
Replies: 0
Views: 51
0 Why I don't have a HID Headlight Poll
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 150
Views: 39,408
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th September 2019
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883 DLX Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Tonyb65 is a name known to allTonyb65 is a name known to allTonyb65 is a name known to allTonyb65 is a name known to allTonyb65 is a name known to allTonyb65 is a name known to allTonyb65 is a name known to allTonyb65 is a name known to allTonyb65 is a name known to allTonyb65 is a name known to allTonyb65 is a name known to all

I just received the cast dash and mount plate kit today but there wasn't any installation instructions with it. Does anyone know where I can get instructions for this kit or can assist me with this. I looked online nothing on you tube and nothing in the HD softail manual. Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 29th September 2019
Biker

Tonyb65 is a name known to allTonyb65 is a name known to allTonyb65 is a name known to allTonyb65 is a name known to allTonyb65 is a name known to allTonyb65 is a name known to allTonyb65 is a name known to allTonyb65 is a name known to allTonyb65 is a name known to allTonyb65 is a name known to allTonyb65 is a name known to all

Faster project moving right along. Received the dash, speedometer, ignition switch dash mount plate kit and hardware. This is a test fit of the base mount plate, speedometer and ignition switch. Without installation instructions thought I would do my best to figure out the basic stuff. So did a test fit of the components unfortunately the dash did not fit so I have to return it to J&P cycles

Die cast dash plate mount

Die cast dash plate mount, FL style speedometer and ignition switch

side view of assembly

Pulled back for an oblique angle
Old 9th October 2019
Biker

Right tank set to where it needs to be for final assembly. Need to Fab the mount brackets and then onto fuel lines and wiring.

Old 13th October 2019
Biker

Got the final fabrication of the tank mounts finished and installed. Needs some touch up paint, then final tank assembly, ignition and light wiring, then fuel lines.

Sponsored Links
Old 14th October 2019
Biker

Got the mock up and fabrication completed. I mounted the tanks in place Today. I think this is going to look great when finished.

Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Nightster
Sportster/Buell Year: 08
TheBreeze is an unknown quantity at this point

I realize this an old thread but I just bought a 5gal tank that came off a 95 Sporty to replace my stock small tank on my 2000 883 Hugger.
I've got a few questions since I'm definitely new to Sportsters and have never done an aftermarket tank swap before. On my stock tank there's a small hose, bottom right rear of tank, I'm gonna assume is the O2 sensor line? On the new larger tank it's not present but there are 2 small nipples on either side towards the front of the tank which I'm also gonna assume is for a vent line, altho def not sure?

My main question is can I or do I have to have the missing sensor installed on the new tank? Also I don't see any other lines coming from my old tank other than the main fuel line and what I'm assuming is the O2 sensor line. I know if I don't hook up the O2 line the bike won't run correctly, especially in a decel mode. Do most shops install these lines/modules, especially since aftermarket tanks are becoming more popular?

Sorry for the newbie questions, the only bike I ever owned, stripped down to the bare frame and totally rebuilt, altho 100% stock, was my 76 FXE Superglide. It's been over 20yrs since I owned or worked on anything mechanical like this.
This 2000 Hugger of mine is going to be my personal custom build, whether I can do most of the work or not and want it to come out just the way I want it...perfect. Thanks for the help and tips guys...
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

5 gallon tanks have never been stock on Sportsters, is the one off the 1995 a two piece tank and are there gas caps on each tank? It was popular, and continues to be, putting gas tanks off of Big Twins onto Sporty’s, for looks and or extended range. I would guess if the tanks are two piece then the nipples at the front are gas interconnections allowing one tank to fill from the other.
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/start
Old 3 Weeks Ago
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBreeze View Post
I realize this an old thread but I just bought a 5gal tank that came off a 95 Sporty to replace my stock small tank on my 2000 883 Hugger.
I've got a few questions since I'm definitely new to Sportsters and have never done an aftermarket tank swap before. On my stock tank there's a small hose, bottom right rear of tank, I'm gonna assume is the O2 sensor line? On the new larger tank it's not present but there are 2 small nipples on either side towards the front of the tank which I'm also gonna assume is for a vent line, altho def not sure?

My main question is can I or do I have to have the missing sensor installed on the new tank? Also I don't see any other lines coming from my old tank other than the main fuel line and what I'm assuming is the O2 sensor line. I know if I don't hook up the O2 line the bike won't run correctly, especially in a decel mode. Do most shops install these lines/modules, especially since aftermarket tanks are becoming more popular?

Sorry for the newbie questions, the only bike I ever owned, stripped down to the bare frame and totally rebuilt, altho 100% stock, was my 76 FXE Superglide. It's been over 20yrs since I owned or worked on anything mechanical like this.
This 2000 Hugger of mine is going to be my personal custom build, whether I can do most of the work or not and want it to come out just the way I want it...perfect. Thanks for the help and tips guys...
My guess is the small hose on the 2000 tank is an overflow line, however if you can post a picture it may help identify it.

Check out my Blog for my trip reports:

Click here to listen to my interview about my Sporty and riding on the Motorcycle Men Podcast

Click here to listen to my interview about the Iron Butt Rally on the Motorcycle Men Podcast

Click here for the Sportsterpedia! for technical information & advice
Old 3 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: 883/1200
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: KLR 650
Other Motorcycle Year: 1987
spoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant futurespoon has a brilliant future

The small hose is fuel overflow. No O2 sensor on a 2000.