The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Motor / Engine > Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Sportster Motorcycle Motor - Top End Discuss Sportster Motorcycle Top End issues. Rockerboxes, Valves, Cylinders, Pistons, Rings, Lift Rods, etc...

Active Threads
0 My take on the world ~ Photo by Trace
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 11 Minutes Ago
Replies: 712
Views: 68,950
0 Ironhead Shift Lever Slipping
Last Post: sltm1
Posted On: 18 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 69
0 NewProject
Last Post: sltm1
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 98
0 '92 1200 clutch adj won't stay
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 23 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 31
0 Sportster Camshaft Degreeing ?
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 27 Minutes Ago
Replies: 67
Views: 4,391
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: kaveebee
Posted On: 50 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3,490
Views: 326,230
5 Pre-Oil the motor somehow after long Non-running?
Last Post: needspeed
Posted On: 57 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 120
0 Big bore stroker - the beginning of a 10-year long build
Last Post: RKN
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 634
Views: 49,232
0 Vote for Most Sought After Sportster
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 59 Minutes Ago
Replies: 301
Views: 57,890
0 1967 XLCH stroker project
Last Post: 11B40
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 70
Views: 2,806
0 900 heads contd..
Last Post: mct496
Replies: 7
Views: 207
5 Front Brake stay odd space?
Last Post: 72 Ironhead XLH
Replies: 1
Views: 35
6 Any good reason to keep a battery added to a '65 XLCH?
Last Post: KCinSB
Replies: 23
Views: 687
0 Future of the sporty?
Last Post: jammantoo
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 97
Views: 4,547
5 Wasted spark ?
Last Post: KCinSB
Replies: 2
Views: 90
0 Diagnostic help
Replies: 29
Views: 1,031
0 HER 42 gas leaking from drain hose?
Last Post: mikeLI_77
Replies: 50
Views: 901
0 how many run baffles, run open, or just run stock
Last Post: Jheitt
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 372
Views: 71,508
0 KT - 2018 - Hop-along Highway
Replies: 17
Views: 1,247
0 The White Bike is the Right Bike Thread.
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 189
Views: 53,027
0 Show your favorite pic of your bike. just one
Replies: 4,661
Views: 1,710,304
12 Lets see the "C's" XLC's that is. Pics Please!
Replies: 1,164
Views: 405,521
0 Oil Tank question
Replies: 4
Views: 278
0 Fact or Fiction - HP Claims
Last Post: cycowrencher
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 707
Views: 81,670
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: vagrant318
Replies: 5,049
Views: 529,625
0 Cylinder Piston kits
Last Post: Dave L
Replies: 95
Views: 4,009
0 Thinking about buying a Ironhead
Last Post: ericfreeman
Views: 90
0 Trouble Code B1611?
Last Post: Jcolleyoh
Views: 62
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 2,303
Views: 161,150
0 surges and/or hunting on 1200 EFI's
Last Post: whittlebeast
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 96
Views: 25,093
More...
Members Birthdays
Tags
breakin, piston, rings, wear

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th April 2018
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883-1200 Branch Build
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
groovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of light
Question To Hone Jugs if replace Piston Rings?

A while back, trying to get a Dyno tune, the front and rear Jugs A/F was WAY different. Like Front was lean, and rear was rich etc or visa versa. Threw the tuner for a loop. And he didn't charge me.

I ride my bike like I stole it. And RUN at high RPMs a lot having fun. Engine configuration should be in signature.

I think I may have worn the piston rings out from the data, and think I need to replace them with new ones.

My question is, should I have to do anything to the Jugs? Hone, etc before seating new rings?

I will be ordering new rings after this. Rather not have to do anything to the jugs, or maybe I should look inside to look for anything in particular on the jug walls for too smooth etc.

I been out the loop for a minute since if engine works don't change it. But noticed it seemed to get HOT, and maybe over heating cause of the different A/F ratios in each jug from tuner notes.

If I get new piston rings, would I have to re-hone jugs? Or could I just take top end apart, and replace rings, and re-break them in?

Thanks for any info, or please ask any questions so I can be more specific with answers. As I take apart the top end.

Are there new rings on the market that would be better used in my case?

Last 200 mile ride to ohio Eldora speedway from Indiana, was 105 degrees out. Engine got sluggish some what ( sparsely) and was making some sounds after quite a few miles, but went away. Was especially better after stopping and getting something to eat after engine cooled down also.

After the races, it was cold out, and had to buy a few shirts to keep warm since didn't bring my cold gear thinking was 105 degrees when we first took off for Eldora.

So in the cold on way home, had similar issues, engine would sound funny after some miles, ( buddy has cruise control, so was riding constant ), but after pulling the clutch in, and a few revs of the engine, the sounds went away, and engine acted normal again.

Thanks for anyfedback.

883 XL Y2K - BLACK,Ported Manifold,HSR 42mm Carb,Branch #5 Ported 883 Heads,Bob Woods W8S 0.590" Cams, SE -0.050" Perfect Fit Pushrods,SE 1200 Ignition Module ,Vance & Hines Straight Shot Exhaust,07 SE Air Cleaner,SE 40,000V Red Perf Coil,883 Jugs Precision Bored for Branch 30º Domed Pistons,& One Big Smile ;o), ~83TQ, ~83HP for now.
Old 12th April 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster Superlow 1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 2014
hexnut has a reputation beyond reputehexnut has a reputation beyond reputehexnut has a reputation beyond reputehexnut has a reputation beyond reputehexnut has a reputation beyond reputehexnut has a reputation beyond reputehexnut has a reputation beyond reputehexnut has a reputation beyond reputehexnut has a reputation beyond reputehexnut has a reputation beyond reputehexnut has a reputation beyond repute

Have you done a compression test on the engine. New rings won't help the AF ratio.
Supertrapp Supermegs exhaust
1200 gearing, super brace
Progressive suspension front & rear
Old 12th April 2018
A Million Facts & Figures

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Buell Cyclone
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1999
aswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond reputeaswracing has a reputation beyond repute

The short answer: if your cylinders are still within their service wear limits after honing, then sure, you can replace the rings and put it back together. Your service manual has the service wear limits and shows the measuring procedure.

But if you're outside the service wear limits, the only way to fix it properly is to bore and hone the cylinders and replace the pistons and rings. Either that or replace the parts with new pieces.

Old 12th April 2018
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1985
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1985
Other Motorcycle Model: Kawasaki Vulcan 700
Other Motorcycle Year: 1985
Dave L has much to be proud ofDave L has much to be proud ofDave L has much to be proud ofDave L has much to be proud ofDave L has much to be proud ofDave L has much to be proud ofDave L has much to be proud ofDave L has much to be proud ofDave L has much to be proud ofDave L has much to be proud ofDave L has much to be proud of

I always thought a light hone helps seat the rings. My opinion, I always run a couple passes with fine stones or Emery paper crosshatch.
Old 12th April 2018
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLX-61
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CL350
Other Motorcycle Year: 1969
83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute83XLX has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, check the bores to see if they are still within stock tolerances. If so, I'd hone them before installing new rings. Before doing any of that, I'd run a compression check, though, to verify that you need new rings (or a valve job)...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it (especially if you don't know what you're doing). Most Sportster problems are owner-induced.
Old 12th April 2018
XL FORUM LIFE MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH-1208
Sportster/Buell Year: 1997
ReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond reputeReddTigger has a reputation beyond repute

of course measure using torque plates and proper torque

States I've Ridden in

71.3 hp 70.8 tq

1208cc 11.09:1 (Wiseco 10° Dome 10.5:1 .010 over) ,Screamin Eagle Dual Plug Heads (10° 61cc), Original SE A/C, Vance & Hines Straight Shots w/ Custom Baffles. SE 6800 ign, Dual BREMBO brakes/ Pirelli Night Dragon MU85-16 Rear - 100/90-19 Front. Progressive Springs & 412 HD 13½" Chrome Shocks, 5½" pullback riser w/ "reddtigger mount", Stebel Nautilus Compact Air horn, Mustang Vintage Super Wide Touring Seat, Alto Carbonite Clutch
Old 12th April 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2013
shanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond reputeshanneba has a reputation beyond repute

I would second a compression test before ordering rings.

Check the plugs and plug gap when you pull them for the compression test.

Ring trouble
Compression low on first stroke, builds up on the following strokes, but does not reach normal.
Improves when oil is added to cylinder.

Valve trouble, Head gasket leak, Incorrect pushrod length
Compression low on first stroke, does not build up on following strokes.
Does not improve with the addition of oil.

from the 2013 Service manual (not sure what your compression ratio might be)
Compression is below specification if the readings are
100 psi (6.89 bar) for 883 cc engines or
150 psi (10.3 bar) for 1200 cc engines.

If the compression test doesn't show any problems I would next check for an intake leak since you indicated one cylinder was lean and other was rich.

Find your Owner's Manual, Wiring Diagram and Parts List here :

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....cle/lookupForm
Enter your VIN OR
Use the search - enter year and model

If something doesn't work on your Sportster look here:
SportsterPedia.com
Old 13th April 2018
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
Sportster/Buell Model #2: xlch
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
bustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond reputebustert has a reputation beyond repute

if the taper is ok as was brought out, then a glaze breaker is all that is needed. metal removed is metal gone forever.
Old 19th April 2018
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883-1200 Branch Build
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
groovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of lightgroovemeisterus is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Sorry took so long to reply... spilt beer on laptop and was without for a minute. Needed a new MacBook Pro anyways since mine was so old.

Sponsored Links