The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > GENERAL AREA > On the Road - Stories, Places to Stay/Eat, Places to get Help
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

On the Road - Stories, Places to Stay/Eat, Places to get Help Tell us about your latest ride or even an old one.

Active Threads
0 Cast or forged
Last Post: Sprtstr1200s
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 8
3 Thoughts on buying
Last Post: denguy
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 143
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Last Post: newroadster
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5,519
Views: 638,718
0 question on engine temp in winter
Last Post: Bone
Posted On: 16 Minutes Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 26
0 Vibration During Acceleration
Last Post: Skuzeee
Posted On: 33 Minutes Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 355
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 4,695
Views: 234,096
0 Cam timing and piston position
Last Post: Pezed
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 644
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 8,807
Views: 725,981
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Replies: 42,050
Views: 6,511,057
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Replies: 701
Views: 42,251
0 Relatively Interesting Road Sign
Last Post: DEEP DIVER
Replies: 38
Views: 1,083
0 My 1200 IRON
Last Post: SCarty
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 23
Views: 1,530
0 WTF Happened
Last Post: kaveebee
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 946
Views: 160,544
0 Who's still riding???
Last Post: SHAKY DAVE
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 49
Views: 2,281
0 1200s mid throttle stumble
Last Post: NZstu
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 43
Views: 960
0 New member in Pullman Washington
Last Post: Dustpan63
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 17
Views: 246
0 Quick and probably stupid question
Last Post: littlelisac
Replies: 35
Views: 1,104
0 New England 2018
Last Post: tvon
Replies: 290
Views: 16,601
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: spoon
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,700
Views: 181,966
0 WTB Rubbermount Air Shifter,Wheelie Bars
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 67
0 Metal Polishing
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 47
Views: 2,099
0 Let's See Them R's!!
Last Post: hammer6315
Replies: 1,497
Views: 548,587
0 Air quality went down the tubes
Last Post: Calcustom
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 156
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: Bstrdbike
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,625
Views: 374,295
0 No Rear Brake Pressure
Last Post: Napawineguy
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 39
Views: 14,814
0 inlet rubber band available by the meter?
Last Post: DirtyCory
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 28
Views: 1,194
0 Brake shoe removal/installation tool
Last Post: Tyler Lillie
Posted On: 14 Hours Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 442
0 ***DK Custom-Limited Time 10% Savings on a Pair Of Quality Heim Joints***
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 24
0 THE Trainspotting Thread
Replies: 2,175
Views: 254,858
0 seat bolt
Last Post: brucstoudt
Replies: 10
Views: 515
More...
Members Birthdays
gp9739 (74), danbango (71), andyman1958 (60), 55 Jr (57), Love2FixIt (49), keywan (47), C Dubya (44), CA71xlch (43)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd October 2018
I am the great Cornholio!

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: Suzuki GT550
Other Motorcycle Year: 1974
ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute
Default ParrotHead's on the road again

Sorry for the delay in posting, got caught up in pre trip maintenance and then had a bunch of late nights riding

Here is a link for anyone interested

Check out my Blog for my trip reports:

Click here to listen to my interview on the Motorcycle Men Podcast

Click here for the Sportsterpedia! for technical information & advice
Old 3rd October 2018

ParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond reputeParrotHead has a reputation beyond repute

Friday Sept 28

Friday’s leg started with a detour to Reading to have breakfast with a friend and then since I was only a few miles from Hermy’s BMW in Port Clinton PA I decided to swing by for their anniversary party. Unfortunately I was way early since stuff didn’t happen until that afternoon so I visited with Bob Lilley for a few minutes before heading south. From there I rode down into Delmarva to pick up a series of Tour of Honor stops. I am trying to do some sightseeing on this trio so I took some time at the stop in Lewes DE to wander about the outside of a Life Saving museum. One of my stops was on the Ocean City MD boardwalk and when I got into town traffic was terrible. There is some sort of car event going on as there were all these cars that were less than an inch off the ground and loads of people sitting in chairs on the sidewalk. Also, it seems they lowered ths speed limit through town.

With all the delays I was running way behind schedule and stopped at 10:30 in South Hill VA with about 500 miles done for the day.
Old 3rd October 2018

Saturday September 29

Saturday started off with snooze, snooze, snooze ... until I was getting out of bed around 6 am when I had planned to get up at 5. Of cousw since breakfast was now open I had to get food so there was another 30 minutes gone. Finally got on road at 6:30 or so. Not bad considering I planned my days for 7am to 7 pm, but the problem is I was 1 1/2 hours behind from the prior day and had hoped to catch up. Good thing I have an extra day cushion in my plan.

From my hotel I went west along the VA NC border through Danville VA and Eden NC. Saw a few potential memorials for future Tour of Honor stops but one required driving up a steep driveway to be greated by a parking area comprised of railroad ballast from the tracks right next to it. And it was loose. That’s a no go for me so it’s off the list before it was even on it.

From there I went north on a mix of highways and smaller roads. Some great riding but had a fair amount of traffic. The worst was in Boone NC where I almost shut the bike off an coasted down a hill. Could not figure out the delay until I noticed it was noon and recalled there was a college in town. The sight of people cooking on grills in parking lots and smell of hotdogx confirmed it, football game. Got through that and made my way into Kentucky and went through Pikeville and Paintsville before turning south.

Since I am riding in the Void rally starting friday I had decided I was stopping at 7pm to download files and plan a route. Sure enough, 7 pm came and there were no hotels close to where I was in Manchester KY and none close by on my route so I detoured 20 miles west to London KY. Checked in at 7:45, showered, ordered a pizza, and started planning my route. Said some choice words about our Rally Masters but have something workable that I can refine over the next few days.

However, the real kicker is I am now 7 hours behind where I wanted to be! Good thing I have that extra day!

Total miles ridden were about 580 bringing the trip total go 1160 or so.
Old 3rd October 2018

Sunday Sept 30

Sunday started off great with clear sunny weather. Then all of a sudden I hit heavy fog. After 20 minutes or so I had to pull over and put on my heated jacket liner. It was nice to find it still worked as I hadn’t used it in 6 or so months. Passed thru the tunnel at Cumberlanf Gap and poof, sunshine! Had some freat riding for a while but ran into rain around Asheville NC. Traffic on I-24 and I-26 was stop and go which was frustrating. Had an iteresting detour on a formerly paved road at 11pm which was fun, not!! Made some descent time overall but decided to make it a long day to catch up from time lost in the previous days. Decided tomstop around midnight in Bremen GA and planned to grab something to eat from a gas station. Pulled in to the only one open and started filling up first. Midway through they turned out the lights so I had to use my flashlight to make sure I didn’t overflow the tanks. Found some pasta stuff in the hotel snacks to eat and went to sleep.

Total miles for the day were 690 and total for the trip were 1850
Old 3rd October 2018

Monday Oct 1

Monday, or I think it was Monday, started off fine. Slept in a bit since I got in late and had a 3 hour grind south and then east to Jasper FL. Good mix of US routes and I-75 which has neen the norm so far. Of course I missed my exit so had to go 10 miles further south which would not be a problem except for the storm that was south of me. Hit rain 2 miles before my exit, but once I got off and got a few miles north it was clear. Got into town and got my picture and as I was sendingand posting it started raining. It was the kind or rain with large drops. Got on my way and a fee minutes later is was sunny again. Rest of the day went smoothly as I headed west and then turned north in to Alabama stopped in Montgomery AL at the downtown Hampton Inn which was great except there was no place to get food near the hotel at 10pm. Cool old hotel though

Total miles were 750 for the day and 3,100 for the trip
Old 3rd October 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1460C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2000
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: XL1200R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
sportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond reputesportsterpaul has a reputation beyond repute

Keep it going Chris, living the dream.....
I.B.A.#26543, Growing old-Mandatory/ Growing up-optional. Men do not quit playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing!

The XL Forum Sportsterpedia:
http://sportsterpedia.com/doku.php/starthttp://xlforum.net/forums/images/editor/quote.gif
Old 3rd October 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XL1200s
Sportster/Buell Year: 1999
Sprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond reputeSprtstr1200s has a reputation beyond repute

Damn, this man likes riding his motorcycle! Safe journey!
Old 8th October 2018

Tuesday October 2

Tuesdays leg started off great. Weather was nice and I slept in a little. Breakfast was mobbed with young girls from some type of meet, never heard what it was. Made it hard to get to the bacon but I shoved them aside and got my portions. My route took me west through Alabama Mississippi, Louisiana, and up into Arkansas. Road part of the Natchez Trace Parkway but it was short. Saw a post from my friend Kenneth Rainman Andrews that he was now headed south and within 5 minutes the sky turned dark and I had rain. Ended up on a rather dark unpaved road, not sure if I missed a turn or not. Ended the night in Conway AR just west of Little Rock.
Old 8th October 2018

Wednesday October 3

Wednesday I started out later than planned as I was getting tired. As I was packing up the latch on my tourpak broke so I had to stop and by a ratchet strap to hold the lid down. I rode north almost to the Missouri border and then turned east. I did cross into Missouri for a little bit before I entered Tennessee. At one of my stops I sat on a bench relaxing for a few minutes and saw what looked like a tombstone on the roof of the building across the street from the courthouse. As I left town I passed a linesman monument and stopped for a quick look. I decided to drop one of my stops to get me into my hotel an hour sooner. At my last stop a police car pulled up but when he saw me he told me he was looking for someone else. Got into Nashville around 8:30, took a shower, printed my rallybook for the rally, went to the bar for dinner and to finish my route and load my GPS’s. Total miles for the day were 670 and for the trip to date were 3770.
Sponsored Links
Old 8th October 2018

Thursday October 4

Thursday was a down day. I went into my company’s office in Nashville to have breakfast with a coworker. Went back to my hotel for a nap and then went for lunch and to hang out with friends from home who happened to be staying in Nashville for a few days. At 5 I headed to Columbia TN which was an hour away for a pre rally dinner with the other riders. Then it was back to the hotel to do some rally business and go over my route one more time. Stopped for gas to check the receipt for the morning and found it was off an hour. Next gas station time was correct and town showed Columbia. This is important as I verify my starting time and location for the rally with this receipt. Miles were about 40 or 50.

This will be my last post until I finish the rally on Saturday around 4pm