The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Frame Mount EVO Sportster Talk (1986-2003 models)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Active Threads
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 40,454
Views: 6,206,442
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 2,421
Views: 174,340
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 6 Minutes Ago
Replies: 6,480
Views: 457,263
7 Hello from Spain
Last Post: juandemor
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 191
0 Galled front piston
Last Post: doodah man
Posted On: 28 Minutes Ago
Replies: 8
Views: 132
0 carb pop on acceleration from stop
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 31 Minutes Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 864
0 Street tracker
Last Post: yoshi
Posted On: 38 Minutes Ago
Replies: 21
Views: 793
0 2020 H-D response to the Indian FTR1200?
Last Post: jammantoo
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 741
0 Battery cover popping open while riding??
Replies: 61
Views: 12,231
0 Problems with recently rebuilt transmission
Last Post: yoshi
Replies: 126
Views: 7,708
0 Hydraulic conversion for wet clutch
Replies: 1
Views: 33
0 Front brake combination not working well. Suggestions?
Replies: 13
Views: 294
0 Real Sportsters don't eat Quiche
Last Post: Glamazon
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 25
Views: 3,541
5 RF turn signal flashing way too fast...
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 33
Views: 3,400
0 Need a source for Ironhead shocks
Last Post: rg500
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 105
0 LOOKING FOR 1981 MILWAUKEE SE OWNERS
Replies: 6
Views: 4,096
0 Sportster fans, tell us why!
Replies: 564
Views: 146,635
0 Oil and smoke everywhere
Last Post: brianbbs67
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 130
0 This week on Craig's list
Last Post: brianbbs67
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,537
Views: 335,680
0 Harley quoted me $1300 for a mini ape install
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 152
Views: 28,670
0 First Harley
Last Post: Kaptain
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 516
0 Turn signals light up when i rev engine
Last Post: toadstool
Replies: 8
Views: 94
5 1979 Sportster XLS Problems
Last Post: Thoroy
Replies: 2
Views: 71
0 79 Engine Rebuild
Last Post: Fridge
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 14
Views: 768
0 Why cafe a sportster?
Last Post: tigger
Replies: 237
Views: 74,072
0 How many miles are on your sporty?
Replies: 1,115
Views: 248,555
0 The forum got talent
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 22
Views: 936
0 Security system
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 14
Views: 492
0 New Guy's '76 Ironhead Build/Chop
Last Post: speedfoos
Replies: 195
Views: 39,373
0 Your Favorite Style
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 460
Views: 166,632
More...
Members Birthdays
Phil R (75), powellsanmiguel (71), pasqualeddpas (63), maruman (61), gmhsc (60), roachhill (48), redi2ride (44), eliminator96 (38), Booncha57 (37), drewkimmel93 (25)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6 Days Ago
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: Hugger
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Other Motorcycle Model: Panhead
Other Motorcycle Year: 1961
RussW has much to be proud ofRussW has much to be proud ofRussW has much to be proud ofRussW has much to be proud ofRussW has much to be proud ofRussW has much to be proud ofRussW has much to be proud ofRussW has much to be proud ofRussW has much to be proud ofRussW has much to be proud ofRussW has much to be proud of

Here's a kit with caliper and bracket, fits 41mm front ends, but this company can probably make the bracket to fit just about anything
http://www.fabkevin.com/shop/parts/b...-caliper-kits/
Old 6 Days Ago
Chief Know It All

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200 2003
Sportster/Buell Year: 2003
jkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to behold

thank you all for idea's.
I want to keep bike looking stock, just motor and gear box and , Ohlins 14.5" shock custom set up to weight, Race Tech springs & gold valving in stock 39mm forks, custom set up to weight. but want to keep rest of the bike stock. so I'll use the brake pads recommended here & braded brake hose.
where I live ( Australia ) don't use brakes a lot. I ride twists but low traffic volume. also motor am building will have strong engine braking too.
thanks again, safe riding.
Old 6 Days Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Diogenes415 has much to be proud ofDiogenes415 has much to be proud ofDiogenes415 has much to be proud ofDiogenes415 has much to be proud ofDiogenes415 has much to be proud ofDiogenes415 has much to be proud ofDiogenes415 has much to be proud ofDiogenes415 has much to be proud ofDiogenes415 has much to be proud ofDiogenes415 has much to be proud ofDiogenes415 has much to be proud of

The trick is to keep your rotor and pads clean with acetone... not auto parts store brake cleaner or nail polish remover containing acetone since they can contain contaminants depending on the brand. The next in line is making sure your master cylinder and caliper are in tip-top shape...tear them down and clean them at the very least if not replace all seals... also make sure your float pins are clean and lubed. Next up if it's in your budget and you have rubber lines, replace them with braided lines. Next I would usually go down in size on the master cylinder... if you have a 9/16 piston (~14mm) then move down to a master cylinder with a 13mm piston. The lever travel will increase a little but the feel will be far more predictable and you'll probably end up with two-finger if not one-finger brakes (even my stock 2006 XL883C brake with Ferodos is a one finger affair in most traffic situations). Also, look for Ferodo organic pads... very nice pads which I've trusted to haul me from a 140mph back straight into a sharp ~45mph 90° left turn (10a) at Road Atlanta and out-braking my opponents.

I've been a huge fan of single disc brakes and R&Ding them and I'll tell ya, when it comes to road use, even the one Sportster single piston floating caliper can offer many more benefits than running dual disc setups.
Old 6 Days Ago
Chief Know It All

jkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to beholdjkinkade is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post
The trick is to keep your rotor and pads clean with acetone... not auto parts store brake cleaner or nail polish remover containing acetone since they can contain contaminants depending on the brand. The next in line is making sure your master cylinder and caliper are in tip-top shape...tear them down and clean them at the very least if not replace all seals... also make sure your float pins are clean and lubed. Next up if it's in your budget and you have rubber lines, replace them with braided lines. Next I would usually go down in size on the master cylinder... if you have a 9/16 piston (~14mm) then move down to a master cylinder with a 13mm piston. The lever travel will increase a little but the feel will be far more predictable and you'll probably end up with two-finger if not one-finger brakes (even my stock 2006 XL883C brake with Ferodos is a one finger affair in most traffic situations). Also, look for Ferodo organic pads... very nice pads which I've trusted to haul me from a 140mph back straight into a sharp ~45mph 90° left turn (10a) at Road Atlanta and out-braking my opponents.
I've been a huge fan of single disc brakes and R&Ding them and I'll tell ya, when it comes to road use, even the one Sportster single piston floating caliper can offer many more benefits than running dual disc setups.

Thank's so much for this information!
I'll do all that & look for a 13mm (1/2" ) bore master (more leverage ) & the beaded lines. I have some Acetone, so will clean rotors & pads.
thanks again.
Old 5 Days Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XL883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Diogenes415 has much to be proud ofDiogenes415 has much to be proud ofDiogenes415 has much to be proud ofDiogenes415 has much to be proud ofDiogenes415 has much to be proud ofDiogenes415 has much to be proud ofDiogenes415 has much to be proud ofDiogenes415 has much to be proud ofDiogenes415 has much to be proud ofDiogenes415 has much to be proud ofDiogenes415 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinkade View Post
... I'll do all that & look for a 13mm (1/2" ) bore master...
Did you verify that you have a 9/16 master cylinder? Incidentally here's some good info from Michael at Vintage Brake... the dude is a wiz and knows his stuff.

http://www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm
Old 5 Days Ago
Chief Know It All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes415 View Post
Did you verify that you have a 9/16 master cylinder? Incidentally here's some good info from Michael at Vintage Brake... the dude is a wiz and knows his stuff.

http://www.vintagebrake.com/mastercylinder.htm
Thank you again!!
I will verify if the master is 9/16 bore on Monday . the bike is at my friends work shop doing engine & gear box, nothing wrong just upgrades as planing on riding it a lot.