The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
5 Why Are You Still Married?
Last Post: Flowerpunk
Posted On: 9 Minutes Ago
Replies: 153
Views: 19,466
0 Throttle..clunk..... ..Off throttle..clunk?
Last Post: Flame__
Posted On: 13 Minutes Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 4,698
0 Floppy kickstand spring issue, 1991 model
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 29 Minutes Ago
Replies: 11
Views: 92
0 Maryland area Ironhead Gathering
Last Post: Sadsack
Posted On: 48 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 183
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 51 Minutes Ago
Replies: 43,201
Views: 6,743,047
0 Project Strociek
Last Post: chevelle
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 36
Views: 1,927
0 What is the best '70's Ironhead to restore
Last Post: ryder rick
Replies: 248
Views: 84,294
0 WTF Happened
Replies: 958
Views: 164,512
0 70 xlch tuneup and intake manifold
Last Post: Wilkinson949
Replies: 14
Views: 331
0 Runs rough on highway.
Last Post: sportsterdoc
Replies: 2
Views: 62
0 900 dual carb front head
Replies: 24
Views: 841
0 A Day in the Life...
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 627
Views: 67,927
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: IronMick
Replies: 114
Views: 222,087
0 2 into 1 exhaust build
Replies: 36
Views: 6,989
0 hi from anchorage AK
Replies: 9
Views: 79
0 Crusty's Travels
Replies: 2,019
Views: 243,512
0 If You Have An '04+ (Buell's too), Please Read (Oil Usuage)
Last Post: JaKaL
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 152
Views: 22,120
0 Mainshaft bearing
Last Post: CDeckner
Replies: 4
Views: 130
0 Show your favorite pic of your bike. just one
Last Post: 83XLX
Replies: 4,704
Views: 1,782,733
0 A different Oil filter test
Last Post: harley506d
Replies: 6
Views: 207
0 Suzuki's Radar Reflector Idea
Last Post: Airbozo
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 152
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 1,425
Views: 123,897
0 1986-90 Evo Sportsters: What every owner should know but were afraid to ask
Last Post: Hippysmack
Replies: 273
Views: 31,428
0 2005 1200R - installing new TC88A, but where do I find maps?
Last Post: wrkdWS6
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 268
0 Solo spring seat... without springs?
Last Post: Eddie Lives On
Replies: 20
Views: 466
0 Peanut, 3.3 or 4.5 gas tank ?
Replies: 222
Views: 61,832
0 Harley Davidson Street 750 and Street 500/New Liquid-Cooled Revolution X Engines
Last Post: NLXL
Replies: 1,219
Views: 163,112
0 The Multi-tool thread
Last Post: Bassel
Replies: 28
Views: 4,154
0 What did you do for your sporty Today?
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 5,747
Views: 712,211
0 ParrotHead's 2019 Winter/Spring maintenance
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 53
Views: 13,500
More...
Members Birthdays
Phillober, Shorty65 (86), Wayne Rogers (73), DaleG (66), Gfox (66), BillSmith, joop (63), mroy05 (54), DanaAdude (54), pjchops (48), dmedcalf (40)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th April 2015
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1964
Ted B is on a distinguished roadTed B is on a distinguished roadTed B is on a distinguished roadTed B is on a distinguished roadTed B is on a distinguished road
Default Carb Suggestions for My Old XLCH Chopper

Let me start by saying, I'm glad I found this resource. Lots of good info here, and I'm still going through it. That being said, I would much appreciate some educated opinions to help me get my bike going again. First, a little background ...

Back in 2000, I took a wrong turn in an old Alabama neighborhood, when I happened across an old 'barn find' chained to a tree with a hand painted "For Sale" sign. It was an old hardtail chopper project that had been abandoned long ago. Needless to say, I saw some potential in the bucket of bolts and took it home to New Orleans with me.

After much patience, rechroming, paint, and attention to detail, I completed the bike. The rebuilt engine has an S&S stroker kit (1200cc), massaged heads and Andrews V9 cams. As you can tell from the pics, it has the old magneto cover, a rebuilt FM magneto, and was originally fitted with an Edelbrock QS carb. It was always a royal PITA to crank over, and when the Eddy carb wore out my patience, I fitted an S&S Super B. Well, this carb has no accelerator pump to aid in getting the engine started, and I'm right back to where I started.

I've ridden this bike <100 miles since I completed it about 13 years ago. It mostly sat in my living room while I traveled on business. I've recently pulled it out from the dark depths of my garage, and I'd really like to get it running, preferably with a carb that makes starting easier with this old, non-adjustable magneto assembly. I was thinking of modifying an S&S Super E to fit the mag as some have suggested, but I'd love to get feedback first.

Pics to follow ...
Old 28th April 2015
Biker

Ted B is on a distinguished roadTed B is on a distinguished roadTed B is on a distinguished roadTed B is on a distinguished roadTed B is on a distinguished road

Old 28th April 2015
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1972
Other Motorcycle Model: BSA Spitfire
Other Motorcycle Year: 1968
bsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to allbsaman is a name known to all

That's a cool looking bike. Welcome to the forum.
Old 28th April 2015
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

good looking bike! too bad about the wet clutch, though. the super b is a good carb, just takes fine tuning the kick routine to use it. another good carb without an accelerator pump is the mikuni vm38. no acc pump needed; they start a motor super easy. the super e is a good choice if you need an accelerator pump. newer keihin cv (post '88) have acc pumps and folks around here love 'em, too. tell us what is your routine with the super b? enrichener on, prime kicks, ect...? just because it doesn't have a pump, doesn't mean it has to be hard starting, if the rest of the engine is in a good state of tune.
Old 28th April 2015

doodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond reputedoodah man has a reputation beyond repute

replacement left side engine case, too. must have had some kind of damage in the past. welcome to the forum from roanoke va!
Old 28th April 2015
Biker

Thanks for the response. I can't tell you the origins of the left case, but that's what it had when I acquired it. It's been so long since I've thought about this stuff that I can't recall the details of the what/why/when of the wet vs. dry clutch. I guess I'll have to get myself reeducated.

As for the carbs and starting, I've never been able to reliably start this bike, regardless of the routine. Whereas with the Eddy I was able to get it running sooner or later, I've not once been able to get it going with the Super B - not without starting fluid, no matter what I've tried. Now that it's sat for some time, that Super B will need to be disassembled and cleaned, as the main circuit seems to be obstructed - turn the throttle from idle and the engine dies. I've painstakingly timed the mag in case anyone wondered, so that shouldn't be the issue. I'm thinking an accelerator pump is probably advantageous because it primes the engine with fuel, as I have my doubts as to how much vacuum the engine draws with the big cams when being manually cranked.
Old 28th April 2015

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1961
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Sportster XL
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1957
Other Motorcycle Model: KH KHK XLH XLCH
Moon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant futureMoon Wolf has a brilliant future

Yes, and it has the rare 67 only CLH cam cover with the electric start notch as well. If starting is the issue, you could conceivably put an electric start on this bike, but you would have to lose the lovely horseshoe oil tank.

Everyone has an opinion on the carbs, but on my fixed mag chopper I found the easiest starting carb was a Keihin CV carb. It also gets far and away the best mileage. The draw back in mind is that it is kind of ugly. Most would consider the S&S Super E a better looking carb than the CV--it's an easy starting carb as well--and it doesn't stick out nearly as far as the B. If you go with the S&S figure on getting ten miles less per gallon than the CV, perhaps a factor with your tiny tank.

Regardless of which carb you choose, you're probably going to have to fiddle with the jetting to get it right. Maybe some of the stroker guys can tell you what they're running.

When everything is as it was in my childhood

Violent, vivid, and of infinite possiblilty:

That the sun and moon broke over my head.--Richard Eberhart
Old 28th April 2015
Biker

Thanks for the comment, and I'm glad you mentioned the electric start cover. I've not ruled out going with an electric start, but since I'm leaning toward a carb swap, I thought I'd give another crack at getting this starting snafu made practical. I've always liked the idea of a battery-less setup, and I'd be content with this ... if I could get the bloody thing started.

I appreciate the carb suggestions, and I'm also considering the CV, although I know even less about it than the Super E, or how it performs with big cammed strokers. But yes, jetting suggestions with either are absolutely welcomed. This bike never travels far, so the fuel economy isn't that much a priority, although yes, the coffin tank is small enough to keep one checking the fuel level frequently.
Old 28th April 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted B View Post
...I've painstakingly timed the mag in case anyone wondered, so that shouldn't be the issue...
equally important as mag timing is the point gap, plug gap, and push rod adjustment. if you decide to dismantle/clean the super b, i would imagine with the enrichener on, 4 or 5 prime kicks and it should at least do something when you "go hot". the b was a hot rod carb for it's time, so it should be right at home with a stroker and hot cams, i would think.
Sponsored Links
Old 28th April 2015
Biker

Yes, I've paid particular attention to point gap, plug cap, push rod adjustment, plugs and wires, but I'll definitely go back and recheck again and again. I'm traveling on business, so I won't be able to do that until later next week.

As for the Super B, I can see how it's a simple, effective option when one is either at idle or WOT, but my hunch is the Super E is better for street service(?). Then again, I'd have to mod the Super E to fit the magneto, so I'll have to scrutinize that option, or go with the CV. What makes this decision difficult is my concern is that no matter which way I go, I'll end up right back where I started ... that is if I could get it started!