The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 New XL1200L from Oakland
Last Post: harley506d
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 86
0 You asked for it! "The Tess' Coffee Thread"
Last Post: decman
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 10,406
Views: 744,985
0 WTB Stock 4.3 gal Custom tank
Last Post: steveolds
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 31
0 IH steering stem
Last Post: JonesL
Replies: 1
Views: 67
0 Tire Size
Last Post: Civil War Harley
Replies: 2
Views: 75
0 Best Riding/Motorcycle Memes-Let's see 'em!
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 256
Views: 38,156
0 Do people notice your bike?
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,144
Views: 303,692
0 Mag wheel corrosion
Last Post: John Harper
Replies: 5
Views: 101
0 Cheers from Germany
Last Post: oreocat1
Replies: 20
Views: 334
0 Stock vs. Modified
Last Post: SLW210
Replies: 277
Views: 85,783
5 popping in and out of first gear
Last Post: canoli
Replies: 157
Views: 62,880
0 Poll for the legalization of cannabis
Last Post: 83xls
Replies: 429
Views: 55,654
0 How stock is your bike
Last Post: commando57
Replies: 144
Views: 29,724
0 XR1200 Torquehammer exhaust failure.. again.
Last Post: Davo_137
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 18
Views: 626
0 Spokes and dual disc
Last Post: PetesPonies
Replies: 24
Views: 718
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 9,392
Views: 1,468,822
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Replies: 1,739
Views: 189,913
0 My 2002 Cafe Build
Last Post: 1904Sportster
Replies: 21
Views: 1,209
0 What jets do you use?
Last Post: 60Gunner
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 244
Views: 75,328
0 77 kicker engagement issues
Last Post: NHPS
Replies: 7
Views: 176
0 A Day in the Life...
Last Post: DK Custom
Replies: 596
Views: 58,392
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 42,171
Views: 6,534,652
0 Help identifying this Seat
Last Post: Toejam503
Replies: 18
Views: 544
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: 83xls
Replies: 36
Views: 203,582
0 What Sort Of Sporty Have You Got?
Last Post: Jezebelle
Replies: 1,061
Views: 280,056
0 Range With Carby 4.5 Gal Tank
Last Post: VaFish
Replies: 100
Views: 39,623
0 Spokes or Mags
Last Post: Eric Von Zipper
Replies: 328
Views: 59,059
0 Ultima ignition
Last Post: Randy_rots
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 87
0 Oil Pump Upgrade '86-'90
Last Post: iNSaNeSHaNe
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 42
Views: 1,544
0 This is gonna hurt.
Last Post: BWP 5p
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 7,587
Views: 1,427,955
More...
Members Birthdays
bobman, eagle101 (71), nemosengineer@yahoo.com (62), Callao (62), Dweezil (54), Dnew73, JimmyHBS (43), Ulv666 (42), 883ccXL (37), jmr1283 (35), dtschrum (31)
Tags
clutch, hard pull, hydroclutch

Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th November 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year: 1977
Roane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default very hard pull after Billet hydroclutch install

Hi,
I finally got a Billet Design hydroclutch installed in my 1977 sportster and the lever is very, very hard to pull. I realize that this item isn't designed to necessarily lighten the pull but it's worse than the pull when I had a cable so sussing out suggestions. Any ideas as to why, or what I could do to decrease the amount of pressure the lever needs to push the plunger in?

This is the item: https://www.billetproofdesign.com/hy...per-bobber-hd/
And I have it with their OEM Style 1996-2006 Big Twin master cylinder. 11/16" Bore.

I had some adjustment problems at first because my clutch plates were stuck a bit originally, so I kept futzing with it. Now, after getting them unstuck, the clutch seems to work as specified, although I'm getting some clutch slippage if I rev the bike while riding. I'll ask this in a different thread I guess, but I know I put a bit too much oil in the primary when i was filling it, and I think the 20/40 Pennzoil may be too slick and synthetic anyway.
Old 5th November 2018
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XL
Sportster/Buell Year: 1971
JonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant futureJonesL has a brilliant future

Make sure the master is the right match to work the slave. The slave cylinder bore is usually larger than the master. There are formulas out there to work out the ratios, 1" slave and 1" master equal 1:1 ratio. Smaller master bores give less slave piston travel but with more force.
If the bores aren't compatible you'll need a come-along to pull the lever.
Old 5th November 2018
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: '77' xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 77
Pezed has a spectacular aura aboutPezed has a spectacular aura aboutPezed has a spectacular aura aboutPezed has a spectacular aura aboutPezed has a spectacular aura aboutPezed has a spectacular aura aboutPezed has a spectacular aura aboutPezed has a spectacular aura aboutPezed has a spectacular aura aboutPezed has a spectacular aura about

I see that you bought the master cylinder and hydroclutch as a kit, it isn't likely to be a mismatched system then. The first thing that I would do is remove the plunger assy from the primary cover, and operate it with the unit detached. This will tell you whether the lever is hard to pull under a no load condition. If it is NOT hard to operate, then the fault lies within the clutch basket. If it IS hard to pull, then you'll need to examine every component within the hydraulic side, ensuring that all parts are free from damage and are assembled correctly. There may be some info somewhere about how much you should expect the piston to travel with one full pull on the lever. Keywords with any hydraulic system, " Scrupulously clean"
I suspect from what you said about the plates being stuck that the hydraulic side of the system will be fine. I'm very keen to find out what you do and what the results are because I'm thinking about upgrading my clutch with the same kit. Good luck.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH883/1250
Sportster/Buell Year: 1988
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2001
Other Motorcycle Model: Blast
Other Motorcycle Year: 2013
WI_duker has a reputation beyond reputeWI_duker has a reputation beyond reputeWI_duker has a reputation beyond reputeWI_duker has a reputation beyond reputeWI_duker has a reputation beyond reputeWI_duker has a reputation beyond reputeWI_duker has a reputation beyond reputeWI_duker has a reputation beyond reputeWI_duker has a reputation beyond reputeWI_duker has a reputation beyond reputeWI_duker has a reputation beyond repute

My local parts barn has a bunch of these made by another company for sale. 80 bucks. The company that made these kits went out of business. I wonder why.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Drag Race Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: xlx
Sportster/Buell Year: 1983
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHR, BD Vintage, 59 XLH
Other Motorcycle Year: 1998
kmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to beholdkmul is a splendid one to behold

flagrant violation of KISS rule. rotella 15w40 will work in primary/trans.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm planning on grabbing the right oil and working this out over the weekend. The reason I decided to try our this clutch system was it had a number of good reviews on the forum and because I've always had issues with the clutch on this bike. I've had it since about 1989 but it was mothballed in my mother's barn for about 15 years after I went overseas and left it with a friend for safekeeping (and that didn't happen). I'm not a mechanic but somewhat mechanically inclined so I've just been slowly working on it and, frankly, fixing things that were done in a half-ass way by a mechanic. I can say two things about the system so far: 1. Billet Design has been very responsive to all my often inane questions and 2. Over the short time I've used the hydraulic clutch, it has worked much more smoothly than the ramp system. The clutch engages and disengages well; there's no more incessant fiddling with the adjustment to get it not to want to creep but still engage correctly.

What I don't like about the system so far is that the pull does seem harder. Billet says it shouldn't though, and I think part of the problem is the lever on the master being a different design than what I'm used to and the reach being off. I'm trying to order a different lever from Hog Lever but they want the model number of the lever to be replaced (says there is too much variation) and I don't see one. I'm getting the PN number of the unit from Billet though, which might help.
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: '77' xlch
Sportster/Buell Year: 77
Pezed has a spectacular aura aboutPezed has a spectacular aura aboutPezed has a spectacular aura aboutPezed has a spectacular aura aboutPezed has a spectacular aura aboutPezed has a spectacular aura aboutPezed has a spectacular aura aboutPezed has a spectacular aura aboutPezed has a spectacular aura aboutPezed has a spectacular aura about

A few general points:
Reducing the master cylinder bore will make the lever easier to pull, but it will need to move a greater distance in order to shift the same amount of fluid as its larger bore cousin.
The master cylinder should, by design, have the capacity to shift a greater volume of fluid than the slave, that way, the full range ( stroke ) of the slave cylinder is ensured.
When we are dealing with motorcycle hydraulics, we only have muscle power available, be it from our fingers, or a leg, so the system designer has to ensure that muscle power alone is capable of operating the system. This he achieves by using levers and associated fulcrum to push the piston and ram, into the trapped body of fluid. This is what creates the pressure.
Careful consideration is prudent therefore, if we are going to mix and match hydraulic system components. It's all solvable if you do the math!
Old 4 Weeks Ago
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Thanks. I’m wondering if the rds design master might solve my problems. It’s not cheap but would be adjustable and leave me enough room to put my old controls back on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Senior Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: xlch
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW K-1200/GT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
mikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud ofmikethebike61 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmul View Post
flagrant violation of KISS rule. rotella 15w40 will work in primary/trans.
Castrol GTX 20-50...for 182,000 miles