The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE & BUELL MOTORCYCLE FORUM - GENERAL DISCUSSION > Dear Harley-Davidson Inc.
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Dear Harley-Davidson Inc. Here is where you can post a message to Harley-Davidson. Please do not expect answers. This is only meant as a place where the Motor Company can view issues that their customers have.

Active Threads
3 still not a drop!!! 1979 1000xlh
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Posted On: 3 Minutes Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 3
0 Riding Around Smoky Yellowstone National Park in 2021
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 8 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 19
0 1983 Roadster
Last Post: Tim The Grim
Posted On: 37 Minutes Ago
Replies: 24
Views: 987
0 Carb ???
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 219
Views: 48,906
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 2,134
Views: 359,202
0 Automotive Motor Oil In Sportster
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 51
Views: 1,687
0 Keep & Kill
Last Post: Crusty
Replies: 24,676
Views: 1,454,867
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Replies: 32,167
Views: 3,742,347
0 easy rider homage peter fonda ironhead
Last Post: Tomcatt
Replies: 13
Views: 945
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 52,019
Views: 8,756,027
0 Finally some nice weather in the northeast!
Last Post: mick42
Replies: 59
Views: 7,045
0 Case bolts and cyl base bolt torque
Last Post: andy2175m4
Replies: 16
Views: 307
0 What song do you have stuck in your head?
Last Post: rokytnji
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,420
Views: 257,894
0 2021 Iron Butt Rally
Last Post: ChinCactus
Replies: 133
Views: 14,034
0 Mainshaft Oil Seal Leak
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 31
Views: 8,630
0 Indicators not flashing
Last Post: bustert
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 82
0 It's Glamazon's Birthday!
Last Post: Veeflys
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 105
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,267
Views: 379,533
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 15 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,406
Views: 385,268
0 First start question
Last Post: 72HOGXLCH
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 66
Views: 2,074
0 HSR idle mixture screw
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 209
0 Q cams in 73 xlh ??
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 21 Hours Ago
Replies: 53
Views: 2,561
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 4,739
Views: 914,948
0 XR 750 steering head bearings
Last Post: decman
Replies: 1
Views: 66
0 "S" model specific Q&A
Last Post: Edster
Replies: 2,107
Views: 464,302
5 How do I increase sag ?
Replies: 71
Views: 4,059
0 What gas mileage do you get for touring?
Last Post: SonWon
Replies: 156
Views: 62,731
0 Track Bike Build
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 3
Views: 201
0 Stroker pistons
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 99
Views: 5,792
0 Pushrod hitting tube
Last Post: DR DICK
Replies: 21
Views: 1,234
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th December 2006
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH -(Hugger)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL (STD)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2004
bigdogbark has disabled reputation
Default Time for HD to copy Japan!

I believe the engineers at HD need to take a trip/ride on some Honda's, Kaws, and Yamaha's. They will find many ideas that are better then HD offer. I like water-cool engines, low maintenance rides, better suspension and so on.

I am not saying that HD should copy Japan but to learn from them and improve on it. Just looking at them you will see that they looked at HD and improved on it. Where they came up short is keeping models in production.

Good luck to HD but really is the 95 incher an improvement or just an EPA band-aid?

As a side note I was a holder of HD stock but I am seriously considering shorting it due to some of your marketing ideas. Go talk to builders, Honda, Yamaha and others.
Old 25th December 2006
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: 883 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: Mustang GT
Other Motorcycle Year: 2005
XL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura aboutXL O.C.D. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogbark
I believe the engineers at HD need to take a trip/ride on some Honda's, Kaws, and Yamaha's. They will find many ideas that are better then HD offer. I like water-cool engines, low maintenance rides, better suspension and so on.

I am not saying that HD should copy Japan but to learn from them and improve on it. Just looking at them you will see that they looked at HD and improved on it. Where they came up short is keeping models in production.

Good luck to HD but really is the 95 incher an improvement or just an EPA bandaid?
I'm no HD engineer, but I've ridden on Kawi's, etc... No thanks, HD's got it right. Water cooled engines - no thanks. I don't care about the 95 incher. My 1200 keeps me plenty happy.
Old 25th December 2006
Greasemonkey

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH -(Hugger)
Sportster/Buell Year: 2002
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL (STD)
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2004
bigdogbark has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL O.C.D.
I'm no HD engineer, but I've ridden on Kawi's, etc... No thanks, HD's got it right. Water cooled engines - no thanks. I don't care about the 95 incher. My 1200 keeps me plenty happy.
Not all of Japan's ideas are good but look at the Goldwing and then the Ultra. But here in the US it is also an EPA issue. My old 74 Yamaha SX 650 had more guts and power then the newer Sporsters. The Sportsters are good rides but HD needs more then one model to carry on. This is a general issue for HD not a single issue with the Sportster.
Old 26th December 2006
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: Electraglide classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
Y2K has disabled reputation

Quote:
Not all of Japan's ideas are good but look at the Goldwing and then the Ultra. But here in the US it is also an EPA issue. My old 74 Yamaha SX 650 had more guts and power then the newer Sporsters. The Sportsters are good rides but HD needs more then one model to carry on. This is a general issue for HD not a single issue with the Sportster.
Pffft! I had one of thoses XS650s and have had both new and old Sportys,there's no comparo the Sporty wins hands down,even the old iron.
As for the GW vrs EG well they are different animals,I prefer the EG for a long list of reasons I won't even bother to go into here.
Harley has stuck to the old traditional 45deg aircooled,pushrod,single crankpin motor because that's what makes it a Harley and that's what Harley lovers want.
If you want a Jap bike buy one,the V-Rod is high tech enough and I'd agree it needs a different platform but it will never sooth the soul of a traditional Harley lover and that's why it doesn't sell well.
By the way the new motor is 96" not 95'' and by all accounts a great engine.
Old 26th December 2006

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 05
CBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud ofCBAS5 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Harley has tried that. It is called a vrod. like alle things Harlet is designed for a niche maeket.
IMO the V-rod isn't a copy. It's a performance cruiser and there are other performance cruisers, but Harley added it's own spin to it instead of copying like so many Japanese companies do. The V-Rod styling is unique with Harley's great fit and finish still there. The engine configuration is unique as well. They could have used an inline four or V4 like others, but they didn't. They used a V-Twin. I don't remember of another manufacturer at the time using a V-twin in a performance cruiser. There are sure a lot of them springing up after the V-Rod though.

You would never mistake it for a yamaha or a suzuki. When you get on the bike you still know it's a Harley.
Old 26th December 2006
Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XL50 #870
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
rharrison356 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Not all of Japan's ideas are good but look at the Goldwing and then the Ultra. But here in the US it is also an EPA issue. My old 74 Yamaha SX 650 had more guts and power then the newer Sporsters. The Sportsters are good rides but HD needs more then one model to carry on.
Harley has plenty of rides...883 Sportys to Ultra Classics and customs. If you went to a HD dealer over Christmas and saw the crowds buying, you would realize that Harley is where they want to be. The V-Rod was that extra model that has not lived up to the hype. Bottom line if that Harley stock will go up and down. Although I like the XR, I really doubt if it will sell well. Plus, the MoCo has Buell. My 2 cents.
07 XL-50 #870 Stage 1
06 VRSCR "Hyper-fast Touring"
Kansas City Missouri
λεγει αυτω ο ιησους εγω ειμι η οδος και η αληθεια και η ζωη ουδεις ερχεται προς τον πατερα ει μη δι εμου John 14:6
Old 3rd January 2007
Senior Chief Know It All 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200RSC Roadster
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Sportster/Buell Model #2: DT400B
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 76
Other Motorcycle Model: 04-FZ6, 06-350 Wolverine,
Kentucky has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogbark View Post
Not all of Japan's ideas are good but look at the Goldwing and then the Ultra. But here in the US it is also an EPA issue. My old 74 Yamaha SX 650 had more guts and power then the newer Sporsters.
The Gold Wing can be compared to a private jet on wheels where the Ultra isn't even in the same league. The Yamaha SX650 was nice and a great bike to have fun with but it didn't have near the guts the 883 rubbermount has. I had a 1977 XS650 and rode that bike for years. It was a niice bike for sure but it dang sure wasn't a Sporty nor could you have the fun with it you can have with the Sporty. I've got a 1200 Sporty and a 1670 Roadstar. Both are very nice and both have been trouble free. I like the ride of the Roadstar better than the Softail and the Roadstar dang sure has more power. The chrome isn't as cood as the Harley nor are the spoked wheels but it's still a very nice bike all around.
Old 3rd January 2007

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1000
Sportster/Buell Year: 1974
Other Motorcycle Model: Electraglide classic
Other Motorcycle Year: 2000
Y2K has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky View Post
The Yamaha SX650 was nice and a great bike to have fun with but it didn't have near the guts the 883 rubbermount has.
We may disagree on a lot of other things but I'm with ya on this one and I've also owned both of these particular bikes.
Old 25th December 2006
Senior Chief Harley Engineer 1st Class

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Custom
Sportster/Buell Year: 2004
Other Motorcycle Model: FLHRI Cobalt Blue
Other Motorcycle Year: 2006
82ndJumper is just really nice82ndJumper is just really nice82ndJumper is just really nice82ndJumper is just really nice82ndJumper is just really nice82ndJumper is just really nice82ndJumper is just really nice82ndJumper is just really nice82ndJumper is just really nice82ndJumper is just really nice82ndJumper is just really nice

The day Harley makes a bike like the Japs then I will never own that type of Harley. If you want a Jap bike then get one. If not leave what we have and what we like alone.
Old 25th December 2006
Land Speed Record

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 2001
sycle1 has a spectacular aura aboutsycle1 has a spectacular aura aboutsycle1 has a spectacular aura aboutsycle1 has a spectacular aura aboutsycle1 has a spectacular aura aboutsycle1 has a spectacular aura aboutsycle1 has a spectacular aura aboutsycle1 has a spectacular aura aboutsycle1 has a spectacular aura aboutsycle1 has a spectacular aura about

I agee with ya XL O.C.D.
I have riden Japanese bikes alot since the 1970's and apart from being fast and reliable they use cheap metals and cast alloys, they rust really fast, they are too light they get thrown around and blown off the road on windy days, they are uncomfortable to ride, they are imposible to work on with normal sized hands, they sound like a reved up sewing machines and their resale is crap, apart from that they are great I guess.