The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Ironhead Sportster Motorcycle Talk (1957-1985) For all those that wanna talk about Ironhead Sportster Motorcycles

Active Threads
0 1983 Roadster
Last Post: RicThompson
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 27
Views: 1,001
0 Riding Around Smoky Yellowstone National Park in 2021
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 40 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 31
3 still not a drop!!! 1979 1000xlh
Last Post: Hippysmack
Posted On: 43 Minutes Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 46
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 52,020
Views: 8,756,125
0 Keep & Kill
Replies: 24,677
Views: 1,454,914
0 Case bolts and cyl base bolt torque
Last Post: bustert
Replies: 17
Views: 333
0 Carb ???
Last Post: Iron Mike
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Replies: 219
Views: 48,910
0 Iree's late night cafe
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 2,134
Views: 359,207
0 Automotive Motor Oil In Sportster
Replies: 51
Views: 1,701
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 32,167
Views: 3,742,487
0 easy rider homage peter fonda ironhead
Last Post: Tomcatt
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 13
Views: 953
0 Finally some nice weather in the northeast!
Last Post: mick42
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 59
Views: 7,050
0 What song do you have stuck in your head?
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 2,420
Views: 257,899
0 2021 Iron Butt Rally
Last Post: ChinCactus
Replies: 133
Views: 14,036
0 Mainshaft Oil Seal Leak
Last Post: rokytnji
Replies: 31
Views: 8,655
0 Indicators not flashing
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 2
Views: 86
0 It's Glamazon's Birthday!
Last Post: Veeflys
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 9
Views: 107
0 ....1
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 6,267
Views: 379,536
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: sportsterpaul
Posted On: 16 Hours Ago
Replies: 3,406
Views: 385,276
0 First start question
Last Post: 72HOGXLCH
Posted On: 18 Hours Ago
Replies: 66
Views: 2,076
0 HSR idle mixture screw
Posted On: 20 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 214
0 Q cams in 73 xlh ??
Last Post: Ferrous Head
Posted On: 22 Hours Ago
Replies: 53
Views: 2,563
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Posted On: 1 Day Ago
Replies: 4,739
Views: 914,995
0 XR 750 steering head bearings
Last Post: decman
Replies: 1
Views: 66
0 "S" model specific Q&A
Last Post: Edster
Replies: 2,107
Views: 464,309
5 How do I increase sag ?
Replies: 71
Views: 4,093
0 What gas mileage do you get for touring?
Last Post: SonWon
Replies: 156
Views: 62,732
0 Track Bike Build
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 3
Views: 207
0 Stroker pistons
Last Post: Steve9
Replies: 99
Views: 5,793
0 Pushrod hitting tube
Last Post: DR DICK
Replies: 21
Views: 1,234
More...
Members Birthdays

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th June 2010
Rider Of The Iron Steed

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1978
IronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond reputeIronMick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverShark96 View Post
Well, the way to get around that is with putting a tablespoon of oil down your cylinders. If the compression goes up, then it's your bottom end. If it stays the same (and you're convinced you have a problem), then it's the valves.
Uuuhhmmmm, this is not a way to test the bottom end. With the oil, if the compression goes up it is the rings that are not sealing - the oil temporarily makes them seal better. Yes, if it stays the same it is the valves.

Visit Mick's WebSite
[And Check Out My Autobiog]
Old 11th June 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

SilverShark96 is on a distinguished roadSilverShark96 is on a distinguished roadSilverShark96 is on a distinguished road

Sorry...meant rings
Old 11th June 2010
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
ratt2y is a jewel in the roughratt2y is a jewel in the roughratt2y is a jewel in the roughratt2y is a jewel in the roughratt2y is a jewel in the roughratt2y is a jewel in the roughratt2y is a jewel in the roughratt2y is a jewel in the roughratt2y is a jewel in the roughratt2y is a jewel in the roughratt2y is a jewel in the rough

you 2 guys are funny fe head and fergerburger. i think fergerburger is more right than fehead.you can,t get 170psi out of a 9 to1 motor.STOP jerken the poster.I would just say
116psi is a little low,but not that bad.if it don,t burn oil and the SUV,s ain,t passen you?
keep riding .OK one more thing check your valve adjustment.to tight and you might lose
3-5 psi.
Old 11th June 2010
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Model: Ironhead XLH Sportster
Sportster/Buell Model #2: Ironhead XLT Sportster
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 1977
Other Motorcycle Model: Honda CBX 1000
Other Motorcycle Year: 1979
ericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud ofericfreeman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratt2y View Post
you 2 guys are funny fe head and fergerburger. i think fergerburger is more right than fehead.you can,t get 170psi out of a 9 to1 motor.
That's not necessarily true. When I bought my '77 XLT with 7,700 original miles, I did a compression test and got 180 psi on both cylinders, repeated several times for comparison. This was with stock pistons and P cams.

Compression dropped to about 130 psi when I installed Y cams with much more duration/overlap.

Eric
1978 Anniversary Edition XLH. Wiseco 10:1 forged pistons, Andrews R5 cams, dual plugged heads with Super Port Flow, single fire ignition, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, Jagg oil cooler, '73 gauges, kickstart, Barnett kevlar clutch, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks, all-Andrews tranny. 1977 XLT, Mikuni Solex 36 PHH carb, tapered dual exhausts, Andrews Y cams, Progressive front springs, Hagon Nitro shocks.
Old 11th June 2010
Chief Harley Engineer

Sportster/Buell Model: xlh
Sportster/Buell Year: 1976
ratt2y is a jewel in the roughratt2y is a jewel in the roughratt2y is a jewel in the roughratt2y is a jewel in the roughratt2y is a jewel in the roughratt2y is a jewel in the roughratt2y is a jewel in the roughratt2y is a jewel in the roughratt2y is a jewel in the roughratt2y is a jewel in the roughratt2y is a jewel in the rough

OK you 3 guys are funny.stock is 120 10:1 is 132psi 11:1 is 145psi and so on and so on
Old 11th June 2010
Senior Chief Master Mechanic

Sportster/Buell Model: XLCH
Sportster/Buell Year: 1975
johnnyjellybean is on a distinguished roadjohnnyjellybean is on a distinguished roadjohnnyjellybean is on a distinguished roadjohnnyjellybean is on a distinguished road

Quote:
OK you 3 guys are funny.stock is 120 10:1 is 132psi 11:1 is 145psi and so on and so on
No way. I got 145 stock with 20K miles. With 10:1 pistons and PB+ cams, I now get 165/170
Old 11th June 2010
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XLRR
Sportster/Buell Year: 91
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XLH1100
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 80
racerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond reputeracerwill has a reputation beyond repute

compression numbers (really cranking pressure) has nothing to do with compression ratio......it's a function of volumetric efficiency and cam profile......... 110 PSI is a little on the low side but gauge accuracy and testing conditions can vary so as long as they're both the same (10%) then it's fine.....

there is no way to determine compression ratio by this test...... no way

Ww

Blue Locktite..... I put that sh*t on everything.....

"never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence"

"All The Way"
Old 11th June 2010
Senior Chief Know It All 2nd Class

Sportster/Buell Year: 1979
Fe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really niceFe Head is just really nice

Quote:
you 2 guys are funny fe head and fergerburger. i think fergerburger is more right than fehead.you can,t get 170psi out of a 9 to1 motor.STOP jerken the poster.I would just say
116psi is a little low,but not that bad.if it don,t burn oil and the SUV,s ain,t passen you?
keep riding .OK one more thing check your valve adjustment.to tight and you might lose
3-5 psi.
I guess some of the theory and the a whole lot of the practical understanding is not being well understood here!

If you in fact do actually compress air exactly 9.1 :1 in other words reduce it down in volume to 1/9.1 th then the resultant PSI WILL BE as I stated which is

{9.1^1.35 X 14.7} = 290 PSI absolutely true at sea level and 293 degrees Kelvin!

The above is the true case IF it were possible to perform in an engine.

However. it is not possible because of the two reasons already stated - namely

1. The intake valve stays open after bottom dead centre so there is no way to keep 100% of the air inside the cylinder.

2. The slow cranking speeds do not always draw in 100% of the cylinder's volume.

Neither I nor anyone else has stated it is possible to get even close to this number even with the lowest performing "Q" cams let alone the other more aggressive ones.

It is a trivial matter to calculate what volume is actually being compressed - just do the math! I have already provided the formula.

If all you can muster up is a measly 120 PSI then you are only achieving an effective compression ratio of 4.73 : 1 while cranking!

If this is too hard to imagine then realize this - the air volume being compressed in one cylinder of a 1000 cc XLH is not the 500 cc but a mere 260.22 cc.

The other 239.78 cc is either not being drawn in or is being pushed out because the intake is staying OPEN after bottom dead centre allowing it to escape forever.

There is no jerking going on here. My statements with respect to the above numbers are valid.

Furthermore there is nothing funny about it - the compression tester can only read the remaining air that is allowed to be compressed.

I can appreciate not everyone would want such an esoteric explanation but I do believe many here are interested enough to learn and or make comments based on better, more substantive evidences than base innuendo.

If the applied theory and my analysis of it is wrong - ratt2y - please take a moment to produce the rationale behind your view as to why? I have already provided the universally accepted, refereed and published methods for calculating adiabatically compressed air when neither the volume nor the pressure is constant.

Your analysis as I see it is for a NON adiabatic system where either the volume or the pressure is constant - this is not what is happening in a non running cranking compression stroke of any internal combustion engine.

Cheers;
Old 11th June 2010
Senior Master Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 883-1380cc hot rod
Sportster/Buell Year: 87
Sportster/Buell Model #2: wife's 883-1200
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 87
ted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to beholdted is a splendid one to behold

The bottom line is; the OP's compression is probably in the ballpark and nothing to worry about. At least that would be the uncomplicated version..
Ted

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."
Plato
Old 11th June 2010
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: Sportster 1000cc
Sportster/Buell Year: 1982
brownskull will become famous soon enoughbrownskull will become famous soon enoughbrownskull will become famous soon enoughbrownskull will become famous soon enoughbrownskull will become famous soon enoughbrownskull will become famous soon enoughbrownskull will become famous soon enoughbrownskull will become famous soon enough

I need a lawyer. Thanks for all the wonderful info!

BrownSkull