The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE FORUM > Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

Sportster Motorcycle General Discussion and Problems For discussing problems about your Sportster motorcycle that don't fit anywhere else.

Active Threads
0 Shift Tower Interchangeability / 4 Speed Rebuild
Last Post: Four Speed
Posted On: 31 Minutes Ago
Replies: 59
Views: 1,814
0 Big Bore Kit - What else is needed
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 35 Minutes Ago
Replies: 12
Views: 345
0 Harley quoted me $1300 for a mini ape install
Last Post: tigger
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 164
Views: 30,656
0 It's xena's Birthday Today!
Last Post: jharback
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 6
Views: 104
0 1985 front fork question
Last Post: Maxdog2
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 122
0 Divorced Ironhead project.
Last Post: brianbbs67
Replies: 19
Views: 2,628
0 Shovester Sighting
Replies: 52
Views: 6,053
0 Boardtracker Project
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 522
Views: 95,231
0 Where are the New Hampshire Sportsters?
Last Post: sportysrock
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 7
Views: 226
0 R.I.P.Aretha Franklin
Last Post: Nibelungen
Posted On: 6 Hours Ago
Replies: 3
Views: 120
0 1998 Sportster Ignition Problems
Last Post: IXL2Relax
Replies: 17
Views: 488
0 Drum brake/speedometer mod?
Last Post: Gold Member
Replies: 13
Views: 344
0 As far as maintenance goes...Cycle Electric or Alternator?
Last Post: Stick_Man
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 16
Views: 623
10 Dead Horse Poll
Last Post: Folkie
Posted On: 7 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,521
Views: 126,136
0 (How to Needed) TC88A ignition module donated to me
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 27
Views: 863
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Posted On: 8 Hours Ago
Replies: 278
Views: 11,230
0 ‘17 Roadster no start...
Last Post: ADK XL
Posted On: 9 Hours Ago
Replies: 15
Views: 556
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: trainman
Replies: 7,566
Views: 553,388
0 How is 1969 xlch voltage dispersed and regulated.
Last Post: JackPrice53
Replies: 12
Views: 391
0 Why cafe a sportster?
Last Post: tigger
Replies: 237
Views: 74,924
0 THE Trainspotting Thread
Last Post: trainman
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,027
Views: 215,619
0 Help removing speedo connector
Last Post: DramaLlama
Posted On: 10 Hours Ago
Replies: 5
Views: 79
3 Wtb, Wts, Wtt, Wtg (Ironhead)
Last Post: sdsbassist
Posted On: 11 Hours Ago
Replies: 88
Views: 196,131
5 Installing Ultima Ignition ...
Last Post: Fridge
Replies: 40
Views: 7,600
0 C.O.B.B run west
Last Post: coastie56
Replies: 200
Views: 15,045
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: rocketmangb
Posted On: 12 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,699
Views: 244,189
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 41,192
Views: 6,315,268
0 End of the road for me
Replies: 34
Views: 1,826
0 Have You Seen This? (New Harleys)
Last Post: jammantoo
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 91
Views: 3,385
0 words fail me
Posted On: 13 Hours Ago
Replies: 31
Views: 1,367
More...
Members Birthdays
BobH (64), jcrow (64), release (63), Iron Joker (58), rickschad (55), mickes (54), indyrednek (54), jarhead08, koidac (42)
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th June 2009
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2009
xlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the rough
Default 500 mile service

I've got 500 miles on my new 1200C. I'm thinking of getting some oil & filter and changing them now that I'm at 500 miles. Should I just wait until the 1000 mile service as that's expensive enough or is the general consensus "couldn't hurt"? I don't want to waste money, but do want to take care of the bike.
Old 6th June 2009
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R1150R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
bigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to all

Well if you want to take care of the bike, leave it alone until the 1k service interval and have it performed at the dealer or known good Indy shop. Then you can do the rest of service intervals yourself.

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
Marquis de la Grange (1639 - 1692)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 6th June 2009
Flat Track Champion

xlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the roughxlcruser is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjnsa View Post
Well if you want to take care of the bike, leave it alone until the 1k service interval and have it performed at the dealer or known good Indy shop. Then you can do the rest of service intervals yourself.
That's what I was thinking. The dealer told me $190.00 for the service using dino oil $20.00 more for syn3. There is a recommended Indy pretty close that will do the same for $119.00. And much to my surprise both recommend using the dino oil mostly because of our climate and conditions around here. Then I was planning on doing the rest, once I get the manual, lift and lights in the garage so I can see.
Old 6th June 2009

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

There are a few people who SWEAR your motor is gonna blow up and it will rain frogs if you don't do an oil change at 100 miles, then 500 miles, then 1k...

THOSE PEOPLE ARE ON FRICKIN DRUGS!

1k is ABSOLUTELY FINE.

As for synth vs. dino - I'm not going there - but I don't run dino for lots of reasons - oil change intervals, better additive packages, peace of mind.

Lastly dealer vs indy vs. DIY - unless you are unsure of your ability to service it yourself (and you seem to be saying you're going to service it yourself after the 1k) there is nothign special about the 1k service that would make it necessary or better to have a dealer perform - except the SLIGHT possibility that you might miss something that was wrong from the factory - but then again, if that's the case, well, maybe you shouldn't be servicing it after that too.

Ride safe,

K
Old 6th June 2009
Flat Track Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
There are a few people who SWEAR your motor is gonna blow up and it will rain frogs if you don't do an oil change at 100 miles, then 500 miles, then 1k...

THOSE PEOPLE ARE ON FRICKIN DRUGS!

1k is ABSOLUTELY FINE.

As for synth vs. dino - I'm not going there - but I don't run dino for lots of reasons - oil change intervals, better additive packages, peace of mind.

Lastly dealer vs indy vs. DIY - unless you are unsure of your ability to service it yourself (and you seem to be saying you're going to service it yourself after the 1k) there is nothign special about the 1k service that would make it necessary or better to have a dealer perform - except the SLIGHT possibility that you might miss something that was wrong from the factory - but then again, if that's the case, well, maybe you shouldn't be servicing it after that too.

Ride safe,

K
It's more, not being ready to service it, I just finished building the garage and am putting in elect in a week, the lift isn't here yet and I know you don't really need one but I can't hardly do much on the floor anymore, I still need a few tools etc. So it's more out of convince at this point. As or the oil, I agree with your previous post on the use of syn oils, but find it confusing not so much by the dealer, but the indy to say you don't really need it. You know you read the post's, the manual, ask around and never seem to get consistent reply s to that question.
Old 6th June 2009

Moved On / My Own Choice has disabled reputation

The indy is probably an older guy, set in his ways. Doesn't mean he's ever seen the result of an oil analysis.

As for convenience, nothing wrong with that, it's your money.

Ride safe,

K
Old 6th June 2009
Flat Track Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
The indy is probably an older guy, set in his ways. Doesn't mean he's ever seen the result of an oil analysis.

As for convenience, nothing wrong with that, it's your money.

Ride safe,

K
Yeah to ole money thing, funny how that seems to work into just about everything isn't it.
Does the syn oil do much at all to quiet down or noisy up the motor? I've read conflicting post on that very thing, going both ways. The last one I read on another forum stated, yes it will run cooler, longer service intervals, lube better high temp, better cold starts, but it will noisy up the motor. Any truth to that, or is it one hard of hearing biker talking to a good ear?
Old 6th June 2009
Flat Track Champion

Sportster/Buell Model: 883C
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
CaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura aboutCaptBligh has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcruser View Post
Yeah to ole money thing, funny how that seems to work into just about everything isn't it.
Does the syn oil do much at all to quiet down or noisy up the motor? I've read conflicting post on that very thing, going both ways. The last one I read on another forum stated, yes it will run cooler, longer service intervals, lube better high temp, better cold starts, but it will noisy up the motor. Any truth to that, or is it one hard of hearing biker talking to a good ear?
These are fact, end of story, Amsoil, Redline and Mobile 20w50 syn motorcycle oil in order best to worst and none of these 3 are worst.
Old 6th June 2009

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 883
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Other Motorcycle Model: BMW R1150R
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
bigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to allbigjnsa is a name known to all

I suggested, as Kev pointed out, 1k service you may miss something since the motor is just being broken in. After that, the service is pretty easy. I used to do my services, but now let the dealer do it because I don't have the time anymore. Plus with the 20k service, the forks are to be serviced and I'm not equipped tool wise to do it myself.
Sponsored Links
Old 6th June 2009
XL FORUM TEAM MEMBER

Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Sportster/Buell Model #2: XL1200C
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2006
Other Motorcycle Model: 48 "Totalled" By a Douche
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
rocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond reputerocketmangb has a reputation beyond repute

My 2 cents and that is all they are worth

I would do the oil and filter at 500 miles using factory oil and filter.

Make sure you get the cup type filter wrench that fits before you start (filters will vary)

go to Blackstone labs and get an oil sample kit (about 25 bucks) so you can check for wear metals.

Do it all yourself for less than a Hunny.
2006 Sportster XL1250C
Hammer Sledge Heads 1.98X1.61 Valves
Hammer 600 Cams
Big Ass CP/Hammer Pistons
Mikuni HSR 45 /Hammer Billet Manifold (Now HSR 48)
Jetted 27.5 slow,182.5 Main
97 Needle,Clip posistion 3
Hurricane Flow 3" offset AC,Rocketman Mod
Daytona Twin Tec TC88A,Rico Scarecrow Map
Sumax Thundervolt plug wires,NGK DCPR8EIX spark plugs. Gapped .040 and Indexed
Cycle Electric Stator and Regulator
Alto Carbonite Clutch
Royal Purple 20W50 MC Primary oil
Patriot Defender Pipe
Royal Purple 20W50 MC Engine Oil
Napa 7148 oil filter
Max Power, 111.47