The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM®

Go Back   The Sportster and Buell Motorcycle Forum - The XLFORUM® > SPORTSTER MOTORCYCLE ZONE > Sportster Motorcycle Era Specific and Model Specific > EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up)
XLF Blogs XLF Arcade XLF Disclaimer/Privacy Statement/Terms Of Use

Notices

EFI Sportster Motorcycle Talk (2007 and up) For 2007 and above Sportsters

Active Threads
0 Where to buy auto advance weights
Last Post: AkIronheadparty
Posted On: 1 Minute Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 103
0 Hottie of the day, no nudity.
Last Post: lugster
Posted On: 4 Minutes Ago
Replies: 7,012
Views: 499,885
0 Problems with recently rebuilt transmission
Last Post: paulc
Posted On: 10 Minutes Ago
Replies: 174
Views: 11,449
0 2018 East Coast Meet & Greet
Last Post: XL Ed
Posted On: 22 Minutes Ago
Replies: 608
Views: 33,637
0 High Idle w/ Super E
Last Post: 86NOS'd
Posted On: 50 Minutes Ago
Replies: 4
Views: 152
0 **DK Custom- *NEW* Sportster Slip Stream Skid Plate-10% Introductory Savings**
Last Post: DK Custom
Posted On: 58 Minutes Ago
Replies: 1
Views: 66
0 Long Chopper Build - 2001 XL
Last Post: cotton1
Posted On: 1 Hour Ago
Replies: 50
Views: 3,369
0 ....1
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 4,501
Views: 208,026
0 Wisamic headlight comparison
Last Post: BKB
Replies: 11
Views: 584
0 2013 Xl1200C all stock, Intake valve pictures at 30,000 miles,
Last Post: shanneba
Replies: 0
Views: 19
0 Antz
Posted On: 2 Hours Ago
Views: 79
0 hey y'all
Last Post: Folkie
Replies: 3
Views: 53
0 Dunlop elite 4's?
Replies: 25
Views: 4,882
0 Engine breather 101 / Crankcase vent 101
Last Post: 83XLX
Replies: 144
Views: 54,861
0 Roads I'd like to ride.
Last Post: Stairman
Replies: 73
Views: 3,417
0 Big bore stroker - the beginning of a 10-year long build
Last Post: RKN
Replies: 697
Views: 58,870
0 Hot Chicks on Hot Bikes
Replies: 8,964
Views: 1,263,291
0 Anyone go racing last weekend?
Last Post: cycowrencher
Replies: 2,631
Views: 235,877
0 Official XL Forum Random Image Thread (NO NUDITY!)
Last Post: Graywolf
Replies: 40,865
Views: 6,265,008
0 Thought my clutch went out or tranny, was front pulley
Last Post: andyb
Views: 69
0 C.O.B.B run west
Replies: 109
Views: 7,085
0 Who can make a spare key?
Last Post: Scuba10jdl
Replies: 15
Views: 517
0 A Day in the Life...
Last Post: ParrotHead
Posted On: 3 Hours Ago
Replies: 581
Views: 51,752
0 Hot Rods, Rat Rods, and Customs.
Posted On: 4 Hours Ago
Replies: 2,493
Views: 190,915
0 79 Engine Rebuild
Last Post: Peteroo
Replies: 38
Views: 1,669
0 :( New deep rebuild on my 90 inch
Last Post: conv90
Replies: 71
Views: 6,209
0 Issue that has me stumped
Last Post: 60Gunner
Replies: 34
Views: 1,223
0 wtb cam cover and primary cover for 2003 sportster
Last Post: painterdude923
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 0
Views: 43
0 Crusty's Travels
Last Post: gravydog
Posted On: 5 Hours Ago
Replies: 1,463
Views: 144,420
More...
Members Birthdays
Sponsored Links

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th June 2007
Biker

Sportster/Buell Model: XLH 1200 (sold)
Sportster/Buell Year: 1995
Other Motorcycle Model: H-D FLHRCI
Other Motorcycle Year: 2004
ChuckinPA will become famous soon enoughChuckinPA will become famous soon enoughChuckinPA will become famous soon enoughChuckinPA will become famous soon enoughChuckinPA will become famous soon enoughChuckinPA will become famous soon enoughChuckinPA will become famous soon enough
Default Update

Dan's on his way to Alaska on the Sporty, so there probably won't be any updates from him for a month or so.

We had a bit of exitement on Sunday. We gave the bike the final pre-trip inspection, added a couple of last minute accessories for the trip, and then a did a quick wash. After the required time standing around admiring our work, we prepared to go our separate ways. The bike wouldn't start. It would crank over, but the fuel pump never spooled up, and the engine diagnostics lights never lit. The bike had power, but the EFI computer never initialized.

WTF? We assumed that we had gotten something wet and it was causing the problem, but what was it? Dan's ridden the bike through all kinds of inclement weather without a problem. After going through all the EFI and 02 sensor connectors we found the problem. The diagnostic interface cable for the Palm PDA has a computer DB-9 serial connector, not a weather pak. When I dried the bike off with the leaf blower, I probably blew some water under the seat, which filled the connector, shorting out the pins.

Dan pulled the connector from the bike (an easy job), as it wasn't needed for the Alaska trip. VROOOM!

Chuck
Old 30th July 2007
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta) & a 1200R
Sportster/Buell Year: 2007
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200CX
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Quick update...the TCFI performed fine on my trip to Alaska (from PA). The one issue I had was the stupid connector that they give you to use with the Wego O2 module. It's one of those connectors that clips to a fuse prior to putting the fuse in the block. This is how the Wego gets power. Well, over time the fuse and the connector corroded and power was no longer getting to the Wego O2 sensor unit. The result is that the ECM thinks that the bike is WAY rich (open O2 sensor looks rich). So, it tries to adjust by going as lean as it could. This caused an absolutely annoying surging in power.

So, in the middle of the Yukon, I made a better connection. Problem resolved.

Going over mountain passes were no issue at all with this setup (as one would expect).

I have been giving serious thought to going back to the factory ECM and using a SERT. The SERT has some features (like knock detection) that would really come in handy. The TCFI is soooooo easy to use and setup. And it's really cool to see your AFR real time while riding. But, I'm thinking the SERT might be the way to go long term. I'm not sure yet, and since I'm broke from my trip I probably won't do anything.
2012 - XR1200X (XR)
2016 - 1200CX Roadster (new one)
2007 - 883L/90" -current project - (Black bike)
Old 30th July 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 1200 Gone
Sportster/Buell Year: 2006
Don Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond reputeDon Burton has a reputation beyond repute

Dan,

Thanks for all of his very detailed information. I suspect that I will have an EFI bike at some point so I've been very interested in the new EFI bikes. I've mostly been thinking about both the SERT and the Daytona set up that you're running as I like the idea of using a closed closed loop system with 02 sensor feedback which the other name brand systems don't have. My thoughts have been leaning toward the wider band 02 sensors in the Daytona system but that knock sensor in the SERT would be difficult to give up as well. Anyway, thanks for your extensive input.

Dan
Old 21st August 2007
Senior Master Custom Bike Builder

Sportster/Buell Model: 1200 Low
Other Motorcycle Model: Yamaha FZ1
Other Motorcycle Year: 2008
whittlebeast has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcstang View Post
I don't have a definitive answer to your question. I would *guess* sequential, but I really don't know (and I'm not positive on the difference). They do discuss the advantages of dual intake runners. So if sequential fire means what I think it does, dual runners wouldn't be an advantage unless it was sequential fire, right?
sequential EFI is when the injecters fire at a specific time in the crank rotation that is in time with the valve timing of the cylinder that is being fed. This is a big deal on motors that are odd fire and that have issues with one cylinder stealing fuel from other cylinder(s). The TCFI injection system appears to be a batch fire system where both injectors fire at the same time. The reason I say this is that they have an adjustment for front to rear cylinder. Huge numbers are required at low to mid RPM. If you want we can go into far more detail.

Could you possibly email me the dat file you are running so I can snoop around at it.

AW
Old 21st August 2007
I think I like Sportsters

Sportster/Buell Model: 883L (sorta) & a 1200R
Sportster/Buell Model #2: 1200CX
Sportster/Buell Year #2: 2016
Other Motorcycle Model: XR1200X
Other Motorcycle Year: 2012
Screw Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond reputeScrew Loose Dan has a reputation beyond repute

That's pretty much what I thought. From Daytona's FAQ page:

Quote:
When a dual independent runner intake is combined with a dual independent exhaust (no crossover or 2-into-1 collector), the V-twin engine now operates as if it were two single cylinder engines. Problems with fuel distribution between cylinders, normally aggravated by the odd 315° and 405° firing intervals, are almost entirely eliminated. This greatly reduces the potential for tuning headaches.
I would take this as though they are sequential, but they certainly don't come out and say that. If you have some real need to know, I'm sure you could send them an email and ask. If you don't get an answer, I can always call their main developer (I have his cell number), but I haven't really been in touch much recently because everything is more or less working.

PM your email address and I can send you my latest file. My understanding is that they were going to use one of my earlier files as their "base" file for Sportsters, but I never checked back to see if they did.
Old 19th September 2007
Flat Track Racer

Sportster/Buell Model: XL 833C
powellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enoughpowellsanmiguel will become famous soon enough

The intermittent problem you are having could be related to contact bounce, but then all, or many of the units would have it. Or it could be related to how close you have the controller under the seat, and how you sit. Perhaps you sit differently when you are riding than when you are stopped.

I have loved this thread. I too have a 2007 Sportster 883, and I hope to modify him, Farley, at some point. The information is invaluable.